Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Ford 6.0 stroke turbo lag...boost hanging low?

27K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  razorscs 
#1 ·
Hey guys i have an 2006 powerstroke with and edge evo and lately the boost has been low and sometimes higher.If i brake boost the truck and leave at 10 pounds it will shoot to 19 pounds and stick there. on extrem/race level see 27pounds tops.The truck lags way way bad too!!!

#4 ·
:whs: That probably has something to do with why it smokes white on start-up too.

#3 ·
Should i be seeing more boost then that on race level?If so ho much?

#22 ·
give us some more info on your mods... stock turbo ? stock sticks ?

w/stock turbo and econo file i've heard of guys only making 20psi also, and on race tune with edge 27 is on par w/an 06.. remember the newer trucks didn't make as much boost as the 04's, or even the 03';s for that matter...

but i'd check into the vanes getting cleaned also, especially because of the lag .... try unplugging the VGT solenoid (elec connector going into the bearing section of the turbo) and driving it around the block... if the truck doesn't seem like it's driving any different than it has been you've got stuck vanes... even if it changes a little, i'd suspect them... if they are working correctly and you unplug them, the truck should be almost ridiculously unstreetable at low RPM's and smoke like a freight train when fueled..

i know of a super nice ceramic coated 65mm upgraded 03 turbo (vgt=ss) for sale :)

#5 ·
Nice i hope so....you guys have been a great help still wondering about how much boost stock and programmed on the higher levels?

#7 ·
Cool guys thanks for the help.

#8 ·
Also when its ideling it sounds like a leaf blower (shhhhhhhh) out of the exhaust is that normal or because of the vaines sticking?Truck is straight piped.

#23 ·
that is because of the straight pipe nothing to worry about. i know some strategies cycled the vgt vanes at idle and you could actually hear a change in the exhaust note when they moved, however i don't which ones, or which years did that maybe someone else can chime in who knows more about it.

i've never had that flash on my truck so have no direct experience it myself.

#10 ·
Ya i figured it was noramal it will idle for a second sound like normal then it sounds like something shuts...engages...then it starts the shhhhhhhh. Glad thats normal Thanks guys

#11 ·
Pull the valve out , its the round thing on the front two wire plug. It kinda looks like a injector, the way it steps down towards the end. They get dirty and make the turbo do stupid things LOL.

Dan

#26 ·
Ya i know i didnt clean the turbo i cleaned the vgt on the turbo :whs:

Hey LV how much do u want for that turbo if u still have it??

Update on the truck...still sticky boost...No more white smoke at startup or while takin off from a light when its cold #6 injector was bad had that replaced and its been smoke free and running alot stronger at wot..i get a solid 27psi boost a wot when the truck is warm 185-200* under a load in to the wind uphill it will make 30psi if its cold any thing under about 180* it will stick at 19-20psi..could this be my EGR hanging open causing a boost draw

#13 ·
where is this valve? im not seeing it:mad:

#14 ·
Look between the exhaust housing and the copressor housing, it has a 2-wire connector going to it.

#15 ·
How do u get it out i cant find any size to fit that one bolt on the bottom?

#17 ·
mine was a 12point star took it out cleaned it not real dirty but now i doesnt shhhhhhh out the exhaust so bad at idle...still lags bad even on extrem/race level but im seeing 27 pounds only for a short burst.

#24 ·
i dont think you cleaned the vanes bro.... you need to remove the turbo and remove the turbine housing and the vanes and the retaining ring and clean everything and put everything back together and reinstall the turbo... there are some good threads with pictures on how to do this, not sure if they are on this site of another one, but that is the proper way to clean the vanes, and this WILL fix the turbo lag problem (if that is, indeed, the reason for the lag) not sure exactly what you cleaned, but it wasn't the vanes bro...

oh, and the ss type unit i have for sale also have dry film lubricant coated vanes to prevent sticking as well

#19 ·
All fittings looked good the silicon hose off the charge pipes looks good.Whats a good way to check for leaks?

#20 ·
You would need a way to pressurize the intake side to check for leaks.

have a buddy put there foot over your tailpipe, if there is a leak on the exhaust side you will be able to hear it.

#25 ·
or look for black soot around all the connections in the exhaust system if you are checking for exhaust leaks that is.. check the head where the manifold bolts up, are there are soot marks where black smoke has been leaking ??

check where the up pipes connect to the manifolds, any soot ???

check the firewall and the block in the vicinity of the flex pipe, and the up pipes to turbo ???

although i still suspect the vanes

#21 ·
Well I did the old foot over the tail pipe no leaks that I could hear.The truck goes in the shop wednesday so i guess ill see what they say.Should I tell them i think its a injector issue or turbo related issue.The guy that is working on it thought it is the vaines in the turbo possibly turbo failure but would an injector cause the lagging of the turbo?If so ill try to make them look there first.Not replace my turbo if thats not really whats needed!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.