Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

06 F350 6.0 Upgrade suggestions

23K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  jhunter14 
#1 ·
I just bought my first 6.0 and was wondering where to start to upgrade it. It's an 06 F350 with 56,000 miles and is stock now. All suggestions would be great, thanks.

#2 ·
Maintenance. Start there. Change the oil and oil filters. Change the fuel filters. Flush the coolant sytem and install a coolant filter. Change the transmission fluid and filters. Do at least the tranny, oil, and fuel all at once if you can so you have a base line. Next get something to monitor what's going on under the hood, whether it be gauges, some sort of monitor, or both. I recommend an Edge Insight CTS monitor (not to be confused with the Evolution CTS, which is a tuner and monitor combo. This is JUST a monitor.). It is kind of expensive but is WELL worth it IMO and I feel it is one of the best upgrades I have done to my truck.

Ok get these things done first and then look for adding power. The importance of getting this maintenance accomplished first is to set a base line for future maintenance and to get the truck into a known condition. The importance of monitoring your motor is so you can see when you have a problem and how future mods affect your parameters. Adding power is only going to expose and add stress to any flaw or defect that may be in the truck so it is best to see if they can be identified before adding power as this will help minimize catastrophic failure and further damage. Hope this helps.

#3 ·
It's about Maintenance and try and get an Oasis Report go to Ford with the Vin number this will tell you if it has been a problem child and what if anything has been fixed. As stated gauges and a coolant filter, flush and ELC coolant do you have warranty because Ford does not like the coolant filter and ELC coolant they like to sell egr coolers and oil coolers:eek: Run cetane boost in the fuel i use the Ford stuff and once a week drive it like you stole it to keep the egr valve and turbo clean and working they are not grocery getters that will kill them and a fuel pressure gauge because under 45lbs at WOT kills injectors and over 70-75lbs may blow injector o-rings.
2 stroker

#5 ·
I am only suggesting to start with the maintenance to get the needed stuff done first. Then look at adding power.

Aside from maintenance and monitoring devices/gauges, it really comes down to what the goals for the truck will be. He will almost certainly need/want an exhaust at some point and this can help him get a little better fuel economy in some cases as well.

I just recommend that he takes some time, reads for a little while, asks some questions, formulate a plan for the truck with things that will work and be reliable. Getting the goals properly identified will go along way with ensuring his money goes out in the right direction the first time. JMO.

#6 ·
You can check out my signature and look what I've done so far... I did all maintenance first like everyone has said.. And have started some precautionary measures that I feel are good to do before tuning power... I have an egr kit waiting on my kitchen table and am still going to order the oil cooler rebuild while I will be in there. But Im not doing an egr delete without an sct because I don't want the cel... Head studs will come in time when funding is available...
Im just trying to give you a comparison considering my truck has low miles as well. (55,000)
Hope that helped at all

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.