Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

ZF6 problem : (

5K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Dieselgeek 
#1 ·
Well hell! Take her for a spin after doing injectors, studs blah blah all the goodies, truck does just fine for about 50 miles tonight. Coming down the highway a yellow light flashes so i go to downshift and BAM!!! rear tires lock up for a second, and everything is fine. I'm thinking weird!!! okay well i pull over and put it in neutral, it's stuck in gear while the shifter is in neutral. i know it's stuck somewhere between gears, and it's a long shot but has anyone ever had this happen? the truck only has 150k on it and these trannies are pretty tough but any ideas on what is wrong??????

#2 ·
mine did the exact same thing....except i had 8 round hay bales behind me...had to have it rebuilt. can remember exactly what the guy said had happen/caused it but it was stuck in 4th....i'm wantin to say the syncros went out and locked it in gear and wouldn't let it release but can't remember...(2yrs ago)

#5 ·
i finially found a guy about 3 hours away to do it for 1500 bucks but everybody else i priced was 1800-2200...and i found brand new ones for around those same prices. mine gets abused badly during hay season also...but since i've had it rebuilt not one problem at all besides trying to keep a clutch in it...different story though..lol

#6 ·
I had one do the same thing, turned out the bearing went out of the reverse gear and would'nt allow the output shaft to turn.

#7 ·
wonderful... well luckily i found out i have a warranty that is still valid on the tranny, thank god!!! 2800 that i don't have to pay to get it rebuilt. is there any parts for the zf6 that i can get so i don't tear this one up??? perhaps input and output shafts? better bearings? gears? anything???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.