Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

08 6.4 hesitating

14K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  smalltown6.4 
#1 ·
i just bought an 08 f350 lariat with a 6.4 and on the 200+ mile trip home it started
hesitating at about 2200 rpm. at first it wouldnt go over 35mph but then i let off and
eased back onto the throttle and it got to 75mph and wouldnt go over 2500 rpm.
my first thought was the fuel filter so i changed it when i got home and it ran great for
about 20 miles now its doing it again. if it does and you stop and put it in park it
wont rev over 2500 and when it hits 2500 the truck shakes and the engine sound
makes a real loud like womp wompwomp womp and almost popping type noise. if
you ease into it you can get it to around 75mph. but if u hammer it your luck to hit
30. it had a code that said that the fuel pressure was too high. any ideas as to what
would fix the problem?

#5 ·
hopefully its not what happened with mine. The HPFP disintegrated causing metal shavings to get in the fuel system. known problem with these trucks. The entire fuel system had to be replaced. Luckily it was under warranty...otherwise the dealer said it would of cost $8K. Hope this is'nt the case for you but their are several forums about this issue. Good luck man.

#9 ·
damn! i hope its not that! i aint got that kinda cash lol. i am startin to think its a bad hpfp though, the dealership said 2700 to replace it. but im thinkin it may be a sensor because it runs fine before the truck gets heated up, but once its heated up if i hammer on it or try to get the rpms above 2500 then it throws the code and wont accelerate.

#8 ·
maybe a plugged up dpf? that could take some power away have you checked the oil level to see if its high or diesely? just some thoughts i would try changing the injection pressure sensor also could be reading high telling it to cutout full..

#11 ·
Thats exactly what mine was doing...I could drive it about 10 miles before it would do it each time. The dealership thought it was the wiring harness and replaced that first. But I didnt get 10 miles down the road and the same thing happened. Then they said it was the HPFP, but they found metal shavings in the fuel and determined that the gears in the pump had disintegrated. But maybe, hopefully for you, you just have a bad pump.

#16 ·
I had almost an identical issue, but with monitoring my gauges(spartan) I came to the conclusion the duty cycle on my HP turbo wasnt right, basically the vanes were sticking. I have this issue every so often, just glad its not the HPFP.....yet :S

#18 ·
Ouch... $2700! glad I have a Ford ESP till 125k

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.