Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Bleeding Brakes Question

25K views 29 replies 11 participants last post by  cj45lc 
#1 ·
I had to replace the left rear caliper on my truck this weekend, do I have to bleed the whole system, or just the rear brakes?

#2 ·
Probably just the one you replaced....but do both sides just to be sure. Front will be OK as is.

#3 ·
Gravity bleed. Open bleed valves. Attach a hose and run it into a container (don't use styrofoam). Remove master cylinder cap, top off fluid. Don't let it run empty. Sit back and enjoy a couple of beers, getting up every couple of minutes to top off master cylinder. Close bleeders, top off fluid, put cap on. Enjoy your effortless bled brakes.

#9 ·
Now that is what I call working smarter not harder :D I gotta give this method a try

#5 ·
I have not used that method in years, not since I found out about gravity bleeding. In fact, the old method will cause foaming issues on modern brake systems.

#6 ·
If you have access to one.....a pressure bleeder will do the job very well.
Only problem is you ain't gonna have time for two beers!
Andy's way works real well too......just don't test drive for a while afterwards.....LOL

#12 ·
No go. I opened the bleeder and let the truck sit for about 1 1/2 hr. and nothing came out. So I had to do it the old fashion way. I'm not sure what happened. The old caliper was removed from the truck for two or three days, could that have caused a lot of air to get into the lines?

#13 ·
Could have???....another way to bleed by yourself is to take a clear jar and put some clean brake fluid in it. Then attach a hose to the bleeder and run it into the jar making sure that it stays submerged in the fluid. Put the jar where you can see it then pump the brakes until you see the air bubbles stop coming out. Tighten the bleeder and remove the hose.

#18 ·
I haven't tried gravity bleeding, I'll have to try that on the wife's car. I just bought speed bleeders and they work like a charm. Before that I made a constant vacuum bleeder using a small vacuum pump, large mason jar, comression fittings, and some clear tubing. After that I reversed the pump and used the compressor side, filled the jar with fluid, Fluid gose up the dip tube and used a turkey baster to pull the old fluid out of the MC. Doing it that way lets the air bubbles to rise to the top with the fluid the way they want to go. that works the best for me but with the speed bleeders I don't have st set stuff up.

Now that I think of it, I could use constant vacuum and use the truck's vacuum pump instead of a stand alone unit. Wire in a switch, splice in a Tee, hook up the tubing and jar, and have those beers while it chugs away. I just like building stuff so most of all this is exswssive to most.

#19 ·
Good idea on the vacuum bleeder. Gonna try it out. Bet you could also rig up an aquarium pump for a power bleeder.

#22 ·
I used a comressor that I salvaged from a fridge at the dump, so it was free. I thought about using an aquarium pump but I didn't know if it coud build enough pressure. I though t about using my air compessor too but I don't have a regulator for single didgit psi. It would be a bad day if a jar of brake fluid pops near the truck. I'm sure an old paint bucket to put it in would be good insurance.

#20 ·
the easy way :

yes, gravity bleed, but as soon as you take the caliper off, plug the brake line with a small rubber plug, a whittled wooden one will work if you get it round...this keeps the brake fluid from leaking out all over everything, and you don't have to bleed much this way.....duct tape will work if you're doing this quickly.....then when you put the rig back together, just open the bleeder valve like Andy stated, pop the top on the reservoir, keep it full, and it won't take but a minute or two and ur done....used to work in a brake shop....it's very important to keep the master cylinder full tho, if it get below the piston, you will have to bleed the MC.....

bleeding MC :

take the line (lines) off, fill reservoir, slowly (with engine off) push brake pedal down (ur buddy will have to do this for you ), stopping with pedal at bottom, plug lines with ur finger(s), release pedal, (keeping lines plugged with fingers) repeat until pushing the pedal blows fluid (no air, just fluid) out the holes....

P.S. all Master Cylinders must be bled before installing.....

#23 ·
Vacuum bleeder things work good. I just never can find mine when I want it. BUT my experience showed me it is really important to have some one constantly filling the Master Cylinder or you'll end up doing the job more than once.

#24 ·
I think this is a must for my 01... I have sucked the fluid from the master cylinder a few times and replaced with new fluid... But a total flush sounds like a great idea before winter sets in...

How many oz of brake fluid does it require to do all 4 corners? 32oz?

#26 ·
That should cover ya, a quart will usually do it.

#25 ·
Did anyone know that your supposed to flush your brake system ever three years.......................
Never tried plugging the bleeder.
1. clamp rubber line
2. loosing bleeder
3. compress caliper
4. close bleeder
5. replace brake pads/ caliper etc.
6. open bleeder
7. make sure master cylinder is full
8. remove clamp from line and let gravity bleed or pressure bleed(old fashioned way)

Never had any issue and been doing brakes for 10+ years.

If the bleeder is stuck it's rusted not necessarily too tight, or both. Soak with penetrating oil, use a GOOD 6 point socket and just try to tap the driver back and forth (loosing and tighten) til it works loose. Make sure you use the little rubber caps on the bleeders to avoid this in the future! If it breaks or twists off then you'll be ahead to replace the caliper/wheel cylinder instead of trying to get the broken end out and salvage the threads.

#28 ·
CJ: Did you pump the brakes or just let gravity do the work?

#29 · (Edited)
NM: Did some looking gravity only works some of the time... Pumping the brakes will make the job that much faster... Will start doing this every 2yrs... Dam... I have never done this on this 01... I'm surprised the brakes even work... GoD? Why did you create such an ignorant Man?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.