Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

cleaning the intercooler

25K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  fbilly420 
#1 ·
just removed the intercooler. it was full of oil from the crankcase vent i think. i want to know what is the best way to clean it myself. i was thinking simple green and some water.

#4 ·
2-3 tablespoons of Dawn dish washing liquid in hot water, pour it in let it soak for about an hour.
Shake it to agitate then rinse,repeat if necessary.

Brake clean will cause the plastic to become brittle if used on an IC with plastic end tanks.

Simple green can be corrosive to aluminum; this type is safe for alum.
http://industrial.simplegreen.com/ind_prod_ext_mor.php

#6 ·
thanks for the input. now i thought the oil was in there from my new turbo blowing a seal but tn said it was fine when i sent it in. what are the chances of the crankcase vent putting that much oil into the intercooler. i never had a problem before just recently and i dig the crankcase vent mod. they told me the extra boost is sucking the oil out and causing me to burn it. has anyone else had this problem.

#9 ·
I drained way less than a quarter of a cup after one year with the H2e. I really do not think that hurt the performance any.

#10 ·
Cascade works good also, we use it at our shop when semi blow a turbo.

#11 ·
when I removed mine to replace with the 6.0 cooler. The stocker had 145K with the stock ccv and I didnt get more than a couple drops and I let it set for 2 days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.