Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

weird miss and a whole lotta fuel

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  TrailerHauler 
#1 ·
Well this is my first post....but i have an 02 f-350 auto 2wd that has a weird problem. when you start the truck it has a miss and smokes quite a bit. i changed the fuel filter(twice), cps, air filter, and batteries(old ones were dead). right after i changed the fuel filter the truck ran like a champ and then went back to missing...both times i changed the fuel filter. so i hooked up the scanner and these are the codes that i pulled. p0541, p0603, p1118, p1211, p1670.....wtf? i just bought the truck from an auction so i dont know much of the history other then i got it cheap and now i think i know why. also i noticed that when i had to key on booting up the scanner there was some smoke from under the hood--the intake heater was running for a while while the key was on and never shut off--the boot was smoking. it would let me do the buzz test and they all worked. the contribution test it just kept telling me the intake air heater a circuit low and would not perfrom the test. im new to the 7.3 but def. not diesels........just need to know what and where else to look next. any help is appreciated, as i need this truck up and running to use as our service truck and my daily driver to get home and back to the shop

#2 ·
PO541 Manifold Intake Air Heater
p0603 Keep alive memory error
P1118 Manifold Air Temperature Sensor Low Input
P1211 Injection pressure out of range, above or below desired
P1670 EF Feedback Signal Not Detected

Do you know what your ICP is?
And how many miles are on the truck?

#4 ·
Thats tough to diagnose with out a cylinder contribution test and measuring your ICP and the IPR duty cycle to ensure the injectors are gettin enough oil to operate properly and you could be having a weak fuel pump issue which would explain why it ran great with a new less restriction or a weak HPOP

#6 ·
Injector stuck open?

#8 ·
First off I would check your fuel pressure up around the bowl somewhere, because of the comment you made about it running fine with a brand new fuel filter.
Then I'd find out what your ICP/ duty cycle is and run a contribution test.

If those are the original injectors you could be due for a set.-

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.