Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

removing the exhaust back pressure valve???

87K views 66 replies 26 participants last post by  Ron's power stroke 
#1 ·
is their any advantage by removal of the exhaust back pressure valve?
doing 4" upgrade, since i'll have it all apart, figured i'd ask.
thanks guys!
:D
it's for my early 99!

#2 ·
Drop in EGT and backpressure. I grind the rivets down, remove the butterfly and shaft, then put a core plug in the one shaft hole. I then bore the exhaust adaptor to 3.00", stock its 2.830" or so.

#5 ·
do i have to disconnect any harness?

#7 ·
In cold weather lack of a EVBP causes it to take longer to warm up as you loose that restriction. Some also use them as a poor man exhaust brake.

#9 ·
It would be interesting to manually control one and see the effects it has on time to get to the temp it normally fully opens at, on a idling engine, at outside temps of 32 F and 0 F. It would be interesting to see how much of an effect it has. It sure no question it kills the power of an already sluggish engine when cold. Not to mention they do seem to stick at times and even when fully open impair exhaust flow.

#10 ·
no EBPV or fuel bowl in my truck for 2 years now..where i live it get damn cold quite often but the ole girl starts every morning with out a problem..i let her idle for 5 to 10 minutes in the am...15 minutes when its 20 bellow..then driver easy to the out side of town,,by then she is good to go..

#11 ·
ok, well i dont have any experience in real cold weather. that is just what i was told before i did mine. i think the benifits of gutting outway the longer warmups! no harnesses to disconnect or anything. just gut as described above and make sure you plug the hole good!

#12 ·
im also in WI and have had no problems with removing it.

#13 ·
Thanks Guys! it's going to be done! Hello & thank you to my Wisconsin Guys!
:ford:

#14 ·
I used a van turbo and took off the EBPV and had an adapter put in place. no issues here.

#15 ·
ordered plug today from Napa, so have to wait til Tuesday to finish!

#17 ·
needing a little help here. working on pulling the valve, got the (5) 5/16 bolts off, removed the down pipe. it's still conected to something on the bottom???
like a bracket or???

#18 ·
The actuator arm? If so, it is an "E" clip, IIRC.

#19 ·
its a little slide type clip that come from the ebp rod to the butterfly slide it twords the pedistal

#20 ·
DOH!! He's right. I was thinking of the wastegate actuator. My bad.

#21 ·
lol some of them do have a eclip where someone has rigged it to work ha ha it gets a slide clip when i'm done;)

#22 ·
what do i do with the bottom arm once pulled off???

#24 ·
now would be the time to plug all as well

the obs trucks have this as well... there in the same place on the obs trucks as the superdutys

#26 ·
Don't think so. I think your choices are to block it off like some have done or get a pedestal WITHOUT the EBPV.

#27 ·
Or do i just leave the rod hang down???:confused:

#29 ·
what is a "cel". so what do i do with the arm than?

#30 ·
"cel" check engine light.
If you hold your pointer over the green words it will tell you what they mean

#32 ·
i would delete the ebpv accuator remove it like i stated in a couple posts up drill and tap the hole the rod was in and put a pipe plug in it remove the metal shavings put the aluminum plug back in with snap ring. or build a plate and weld the big hole closed your choice or buy a non ebpv pedistal put new orings under pedistal install pedistal put new orings in for turbo install turbo and walla ebpv delete done

#34 ·
WHAT DO I DO ABOUT THE ROD??? DO I JUST LEAVE IT HANGING DOWN???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.