Any idea what causes white smoke? - Page 2 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 7.3L Power Stroke - Aftermarket & Performance
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:36 PM
Powersmoker
10.61 @ 128 MPH
Member's Gallery

Send a message via AIM to Powersmoker
Re: Any idea what causes white smoke?

oil can also cause white smoke

2000 F-350 ECLB DRW
Tow Rig

EVIL-DIESEL.COM
Murff Racing Twisted Diesel
Empire Diesel DieselSite
Swamps Diesel
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2008, 03:40 PM
southmike
Village Idiot
Member's Gallery

if it was water you should be able to see it / drain it off at the fuel bowl.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:49 PM
Phil
I'd rather be duning
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powersmoker View Post
oil can also cause white smoke
As in "blow-by" oil?
374HP/785TQ on Wood's Mustang dyno
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
www.itpdiesel.com
www.dieselinnovations.com
Old 08-18-2008, 08:12 PM
69W900A
69W900A
Member's Gallery

The blow-by isnt' really "smoke" it's oil mist.

If you've had the truck retuned, might need to try it more than once, and it still does it you have an injector issue of some sort. Yes, it's possible that bad fuel will cause white smoke. If the fuel isn't burning it will come out of the stack as white smoke. White = unburnt fuel, Black = partially burnt fuel.
TAG II, Exhaust Air Guide, K&N FIPK, Hood insulation delete, foil delete, SX and A1000 pumps, door dinger delete, COMPOUND trans coolers and a Banks Stinger+++ with the Banks TransCommand and Chrome curb Feelers.

248.9HP 4ft/lbs @ 3,400 RPM (don't forget to divide by 1,002 and carry the 5).

Nothing worse than a good idea that doesn't work.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:47 AM
Powersmoker
10.61 @ 128 MPH
Member's Gallery

Send a message via AIM to Powersmoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
As in "blow-by" oil?
like a seal or oring is bad .....for instance, the turbo has orings/seals and if they are bad, oil will go into compressor housing . A lot of oil leaking will cause white smoke. It happened to my friends 7.3
Old 09-17-2008, 10:00 PM
chaplain161
Chaplain
Member's Gallery

I have an 01 w/ a 7.3 w/ 157,000 miles on it. Today it started to make a loud whining noise. I noticed a little smoke coming out of the stacks. By the time I made it to work (10 miles) The smoke was pouring out of the stacks. Felt sorry for the guy on the Gold wing behind me. When I made it in the parking lot in seen that it was white smoke and smelt like oil. I started the truck back up after work to load it on a car hauler and it didn't smoke very much until I had to climb the ramps and give it some fuel. Could this be a seal on the turbine side of the turbo? I haven't unloaded the truck yet to look at it. I was running a Superchip on the higher setting. I checked for any new codes and none showed up. Also I can usually hear the turbo whine down through the stacks when I turn it off. I didn't notice the sound anymore. Any body ever have something like this happen? The truck is mostly stock except for intake, exhaust, Superchip, and ATS transmission
Old 09-17-2008, 10:05 PM
chaplain161
Chaplain
Member's Gallery

I forgot to mention, the truck still feels like it has plenty of power.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:06 PM
Charles
Banned
Member's Gallery

Could be the turbocharger, might not even be the compressor side, it will white smoke if it's leaking out the exhaust side too.

But with the injector swap starting it, I would say it's about a 90% chance that you've got leaky/drippy nozzles. The needle might not be sealing in them fully and they're litely pissing fuel in the cylinder under your pump pressure.

If it were too much fuel being injected (at the right time) it wouldn't white smoke, it would idle up.

If it's fuel, it's at the wrong time. And being that it's white and not blue, it's at the way wrong time. If it's not oil, I'd put the money on leaky nozzles.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:55 PM
southmike
Village Idiot
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Could be the turbocharger, might not even be the compressor side, it will white smoke if it's leaking out the exhaust side too.

But with the injector swap starting it, I would say it's about a 90% chance that you've got leaky/drippy nozzles. The needle might not be sealing in them fully and they're litely pissing fuel in the cylinder under your pump pressure.

that makes sense...though not an easy fix....bummer
Old 09-18-2008, 02:04 AM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Subject Matter Expert
Member's Gallery

Phil, it could be the Turbonetics. Yes, that's probably your issue. I've been told they suck.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 215
1999F350, 1snotrocket, 2000Censtroker, 389SixPack, 69W900A, 7.3 superior duty, 96centurion, 97rattlebox, 99F250Smitty, 99STROKINSMOKIN, a5t1, AlaskaRedneK, AMB, andyj, Arisley, Atchley, bazdog1, BBates49, big bad stroker, bigern515, BIGLARRYS03, BigRed97, BlackPearl03, Blasterak, Blowby, BMac, brent, Bumpin, Bushwakd, Cass, CATdiezel, cemeyer, chaplain161, Charles, charlie99, charmiller26, chris, chris1978, Chuck B., clux, clydesdale, colekym, Combs19, cool_hand_luke, coop3hunting, cota, crowz, CSIPSD, customtronic, D2HP, Dansk, Dantheman, dblamp, deerhuntr, Deputydog, Dieselboy, DieselBrad, Dieselgeek, Diezel Dawg, DIRTBIKEZ, doubledoor, DoubleL, Driles85, dubswyoming, dukebigdog69, ELKHUNTER, F-350, F-DuceFifty, f350mike, farmb0y, fbilly420, Fddriver2, Firedogbme, fishinfool98, Force2354, FordPower, FORDTRANSTECH, fordtrucksrule7, ford_trck, frashdog, freshman, garrett720, gfaststroker, glamis_dave, golfer, Greg, haulin99sdp, Haul_n_horses2, hendershot, highfive, Hoss, HotRodTractor, House, Imjosh, indyF-350psd, JAKE, jasonl, Jeepin105, jibmaster145, joediesle, johnrhodes, JonFord, josesimoes2, ju015dd, kainers, kickstand, kip4234, krankin, Layson, loner1, madmaxz, MagKarl, mandkole, Martin #6, martin7.3, mattgw86, matthewd11, mattrac, MDblackout, mflores, mnstroker, moore20017.3, mudracer, Muley, my05psd, never enuff, newmexicocrawler, NorCalDiesel, NyCowboy87, Oilfield_Digger, old man dave, ole_blu, orangecrush1, outlaw5.0, OzPowerstroker, ParkerFly, Phil, PHPDiesel, pop atop, Powersmoker, PowerstrokeJunkie, powerstrokenstang, psdmike, psims20, pullths, racehauler, RacerPuller, Ramblin'_Man, rebelchevy02, RedMule, Reubine, rextheracer, rich in co, Ripsaw, Rob, Rockcrusher, Rockrunner86, Rogue1970, rpm-inc, Sapps, savvy1, SeeYa, SevenThree, sgleshot, Shaw, skav, skippy969, SKWERL, skyhigh2000, SolidGround, southmike, speediseverything, squeak12, Stiletto6.0, Stites02psd, Stroked95, stroketeck, strokin_early_99, strokin_hard, Suns_PSD, superdutyfarmer, superih, TalontedTSi, Tampa450, TheDirt, theSLEEPER, Thuglike, Tim @ P.I.S., tkdbf350, Tom S, TomzToyz2, TrailerHauler, treyloco, TRUBBS, TRX370r, turbostroke01, txpsd, TXstroker01, UNCOOL, UNLIMITED_DIESEL, upinsmoke70, urbanwheeler, vapstroke, Vq2Fast4U, Wheels, Woodnthings8, wooner, xman, xray88