engine oil in coolant tank - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 7.3L Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-31-2012, 03:57 AM
gtx
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

engine oil in coolant tank

hello,

recently i noticed engine oil in my coolant tank.
i have since rebuilt my oil cooler with new o-rings and engine gaskets.

i topped the engine oil off, drove my 99 around , and again the oil ended up in my coolant again.

basically i have the same problem;

has any one ever had a tube leak or rupture on the water side of the cooler.

or should i look some where else

can anyone help with any suggestions at this point.

thanks for any help that any one can provide

tony b.

easton, pa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 05:38 AM
Treyspooner65
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Re: engine oil in coolant tank

How well did you flush the coolant system?

Phoenix 6pos (Stock, 65dd, Whisper, 100p, 120r, 80t), AIS Intake, RR-IC Boots, DeFoiled, 08 Tail Lights, MBRP TB 4" w/ muffler, 05+ Tow mirrors, Custom Flag Mount

My Youtube videos
Old 10-31-2012, 10:18 PM
gtx
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

thanks for the reply,
to be honest i did not flush it that well.

after i rebuilt the cooler i added new engine oil, brought it up to full mark.

ran engine and added more oil to get it to full mark.

drove truck, checked engine dipstick nothing on it, put wire down dipstick tube and found it to be just below dipstick

i believe it ended up in coolant again.

believe me any input will be appreciated

tony b.

280,000 miles on original engine and tranny
Old 10-31-2012, 10:23 PM
Treyspooner65
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

From what I have seen before, people have had to flush the coolant system VERY well to get the oil out. If you want to do it yourself, thats no problem just follow the GOOCH procedure. But it is a long process to do by yourself, and uses a lot of distilled water.

I have done it before, but last time I just said screw it and took it to Ford. They did a power flush (which the Gooch method is not) and used a chemical cleaning agent to clean instead of just water. Of course you can also buy the chemical from Ford if you wanted. In the end the $160 I gave to Ford was worth it to me.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:05 AM
FleetMan
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Flush it with tap water and dishwasher soap. The DW soap is good at cutting and holding the oil in suspension. You may have to do it several times. Once you get clean water draining, then finish up with the distilled water and correct amount of anti-freeze mix.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:59 PM
gtx
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

thanks,

my problem is i think i still have the oil leaking into coolant and was wondering what/where i should check next.

tony b.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:24 AM
speeddemon31176
Demon Dually
Member's Gallery

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtx View Post
thanks,

my problem is i think i still have the oil leaking into coolant and was wondering what/where i should check next.

tony b.
You won't know if you still have a leak until you thoroughly flush the coolant system.
97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
ARP's, 910's, Smith Bros. to come
Old 11-02-2012, 01:05 PM
gtx
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

thanks,

my concern is that i am/ have been adding oil and it is still going some where and i believe it is transferring into the coolant still.

thanks

tony b.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:17 PM
speeddemon31176
Demon Dually
Member's Gallery

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176

You say you are adding oil but how much oil are we talking that you have added since you did all the work? Are we talking a quart of oil or are we talking a gallon or more? It is possible that you have a cracked injector cup but without more details it is hard if not impossible to diagnose over a computer screen.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:42 PM
4BigGreen
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

gtx,
I had a bad oil cooler and the oil in my coolant tank was pretty thick. Before I did the oil cooler repair, I didn't notice any loss of oil or the need to add oil to keep the correct level. Maybe you have other issues like the cracked injector cup mentioned.

On the flush issue. I flushed my truck I think over 10 times with simple green and then liquid dish washing detergent before I changed the oil cooler. Then I did the full GOOCH procedure after changing the oil cooler.

Also I changed the radiator, all coolant/heater hoses, degas bottle, t-stat, water pump, etc. No sign of oil in the coolant system afterwards.

Even if you damaged an o-ring on the oil cooler R&R I don't think you would be loosing that much oil to the coolant system. Good Luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 67
04 f350, 08straightpiped, 440skidoo, 444CuiOBS, 4BigGreen, 7.3, 7.3 Blackout, a2elvis, barnhartal, bigb, bigjas, Binder man, boostintalon, buffaloslobber, built54, C.D., catman_1, cavemanracing, chris1978, clydesdale, co04cobra, CTC DEEZUL, deerhunter625, devinferg, doublej112, firedriver19, FleetMan, Fordguy26, gatorback83, ghohouston, golfer, gtx, hydro man, jason mondy, JohnDeereFarmer, JumpMan92, juvenile9, kampinguru, klos, kmoody0507, Luke909, mandkole, MR.KITTEN, pappa b's powerstroke, pitbull62, powerstrokefarmboy, PowerStrokingMachine, rich, rickvm, RioGrande, rpm-inc, Slated4Greatness, SledDogg, smokey73, sokdaddy444, speeddemon31176, Steinbrenner, sunny644, tbeckett, teevo20, Treyspooner65, tripletdairies, tubular031, urbanwheeler, Vinno, Wholigan