Exhaust Manifold Bolt BROKE!!!! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 7.3L Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:53 PM
1BadF350
Towing Doubles with the X
Member's Gallery

Exhaust Manifold Bolt BROKE!!!!

I have been working on my truck last few days, replacing up pipes with the bellowed up-pipes and installing Exh. gasket's between the head and manifolds do to leakage that could be seen on the head.
If you have removed your manifolds before, you know that the bolt hole closest to the center is smaller then the other bolt holes, Im guesing this is done to center the manifold to its correct position, well I had to use a cutoff wheel and cut that bolt do to after two days of soaking with PB Blaster it never broke free. after I cut the bolt, it was corroded so bad, I had to use an impact chiesel with a pointed tip and a torch and heat manifold to red hot before i could drive the broken bolt out..Now I have drilled the broken bolt out and tried an easy out and cant get it to break free, I even was able to drill all the way through the bolt (about 12 threads total length) so I know the PB blaster is getting through the other side of the bolt..Still no luck removing broken bolt, drill hole was off center a small amont and dont think I can go any bigger in fear of destroying the threads on the head.
So does anyone have any ideas? Has anyone reassembled there manifolds with one missing bolt and using gaskets and able to get a good seal? Again, im open for any ideas other then removing the head. Thanks again.
2003 BLACK Excursion LTD 7.3 4x4 4" MBRB Stainless Exhaust, AFE stage II intake, DP F5 Tuner, 4.5" Donahue lift, Rolling on 18" Jesse James Lawless 8's wrapped by 35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terains and airbags,
2002 BLUE F350 XLT 7.3 4x4 CC, BTS Tranny, 6.0 tranny cooler, 4" Silverline Stainless exhaust, S&B intake, DP F6 Tuner with 9 tunes.
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2011, 02:04 AM
F350-6
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Re: Exhaust Manifold Bolt BROKE!!!!

So you don't want to drill the hole larger but you would consider just leaving the bolt out? Have you tried heat on the bolt? (remember PB is flammable)

If it's a smaller bolt, drill it out and tap it to the same size as the others, or use a heli coil to repair the threads if you happen to damage them. Heat it up, drill it out, or find another way to fix it. Don't leave the bolt out. You'll get a leak.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:41 AM
gottagofast
Freak'n know it all
Member's Gallery

just keep drilling one size larger at a time until you start to get into threads.... then use a very small chisel to chip the bolt out one piece at a time.... easy outs aren't generally worth a piss on seized bolts
Old 05-07-2011, 09:50 AM
whitjo
TennesseeHillbilly
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottagofast View Post
just keep drilling one size larger at a time until you start to get into threads.... then use a very small chisel to chip the bolt out one piece at a time.... easy outs aren't generally worth a piss on seized bolts
hopefully you drilled it as close to center as possible. Once you get it drilled up close to the tap drill size it will eventually come free.
A trick I use in my shop is using a left hand drill bit. Run the drill in reverse and when the broken piece gets loose enough, the drilll will grab it and spin it right out(sometimes)most of the time.
BDS front leveling kit
4" straight piped
Sinister pre-pump mod w/filter
Dick Cepek DC1 w/ Nitto Terra Grappler 325/65R18,

Annoy A Liberal....... Work Hard and Be Happy!
Please dont call me white or Caucasian. It offends me.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:14 AM
1BadF350
Member's Gallery

well, I have worked on this dang thing for about 4 hours today, couldnt ever get the remaining portion of the bolt out!!! So I decided to do this, I removed the dipstick tube and I enlaged the hole to 7/16th of an inch and drilled 1/8th of an inch deep. I bolted the manifold back up to the head with 4 bolts, I then cut the head off of one of the good bolts and put it through the manifold cut end first so it would fit into that new hole and keep the correct angle, tomorrow I will just use the mig welder and put a few good tacks on the bolt and the head, enough so that it can hold the torque, but not a full bead and that way if the head ever ends up at a machine shop, the can cut it out and repair bolt hole. There is still enough room to remove the manifold with the stud welded in place and engine in truck if it ever needs to come out again.
I will let you know how things turn out when finished with this project, although I dont see why this should create any issues..3 good tacks with 10 min cool down time between tacks, all should be fine.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:28 AM
gottagofast
Freak'n know it all
Member's Gallery

I think you will find that welding to the cast iron head is a BAD idea
Old 05-08-2011, 03:12 AM
1BadF350
Member's Gallery

Back to the drawing board!!!
Old 05-08-2011, 03:16 AM
roughneck0913
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

how about drilling it clear out with correct sized bit then tap it put new bolt in it.. i know you said your a little off center but it can be done or build you a jig with manifold as a guide that you can bolt up with other bolts and drill the selected hole i've done this as well even with a little off center pilot just drill slowly
Old 05-08-2011, 04:33 AM
Arisley
All done now
Member's Gallery

What he said, then either repair with a heli coil or tap out to the next largest size. Either way it is a much better fix than welding it in place. Hell, I would rather run with a missing bolt than weld the parts together.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:09 PM
1BadF350
Member's Gallery

Well, after fighting with this dang thing for the last week off and on between work and other things, I got it out yesterday!!!! I had to drill about the first 5 threads completly out, as I was going to drill and tap to the next larger size of 11x1.50 threads, but then I was able to get a small chunk of the broken bolt out, then it just started to colapse as I used a small punch and chip it out. I can get 7 full revolutions of a factory bolt in the head.
I am going to mill the manifold bolt boss down about an 1/8th to 3/16ths of inch to compinsate for the lost threads..What a stressful ordeal!!! and not much working room either.
So for all this aggravation, I rewarded my self with another Pyro meter from Diesel Manor along with an oil temp and coolant temp gauge I feel I deserve it!!! plus I think running dauls may be a better way to monitor the engine operation and give better clues if an issue starts to arise..
Thank again everyone for the help and encouragment to keep me working on that bolt and to not just say F--- it and reassemble...
Long Live the NATION!!!! and its members!!!

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 187
01stroke, 02POWERSTROKE7.3, 03f250fx4, 1000klr, 1BadF350, 3deez, 450ciPSD, 4BigGreen, 4SFED444, 4wydnr, 61ford, 7.3driver55, 89 Stroker, 91turbogsx, 96Crewcab7.3, 96F350Kid, 97stroker350, 99mpower, Aminator, Arisley, baderic03, Bamboo, bean, Berlin79, Big Jim 54, bigdeck87, biggreen96, Bill R, blownpickup, boostaddict, bosssuperduty, bracketracer, Brandonwilk10, Bushwakd, CALADASH, capt dong, Cbass, CDP, cfdeng7, CGMKCM, Chad Edwards, chopper, co04cobra, cody342b, codypowerstroke, COFG-28, ColtonH00, Critical, CSIPSD, dark20011, David N, dawg322, dentexpowerstroke, Diesel X, DieselBrad, DieselFreak92, dieselman1074, Dieseltron, diesel_84, ditch_dawg, Doctorsmack, doubleshot, Dustin F2504x4, Effreem, enenuenue, erebus, EverettWV, ewils35, F350-6, fbilly420, Ford Pride, ford7.3sd, fordboy424, fordnut, ford_trck, Froble, Gaius, gary02psd, ghohouston, glovemeister, golfer, gordo1384, gottagofast, GreenMachine, Haz-Matt, Highbeam, HunterD, Ice Mike, indyF-350psd, JD3020, jeremiahmercier, jeromejcp, jerry k, Jgman141, JHill, joedaddy, jones184, jrex2506, JSchuricht, ju015dd, juniort444e, jvencius, Jwbeav, Kampy, KFA-W/-7.3's, Konman350, KT Performance, Layson, lght1, LittleRedStroker, littlewoody, llopness, loudmouth, louisvanwilker, markfuga, markyt, Matt07, mattman90, meanfarmer, mike's7.3, monkeys7.3, Motorcity7.3, MR.KITTEN, Mx Eli, nelsonar, neverkickn, NevrKnow, nhill2090, oby, ole red, Ouch, pbguy420, powelce, Powerstoke_Fan, PowerStrokingMachine, PSDEng, pwerstroker, ralph, RazzleFrazzle, redpower, robertc68, Robert_H, Rockyardjo, Ron's power stroke, roughneck0913, ROW_450, rpm-inc, rusty1161, silverslug, slowduty80, smitty4605, Sneezy Beltran, sniper_101, snknby123, SouthFlstrokin', southmike, Speedracer7c, stlhdfishr, stoney126, stoneykegonsa, stroken97, stroker2, Stump-puller, suprhlr, tardymike, Tedzz, terrye, theoldgirl1990, tisbister, tkelly, toolmangary, travis182008, tree trimmer, twiztidconspiracy89, UNCOOL, vandentr, Wazincow, weekendwarriorfsw32, whitjo, wildjon, willholl79, Wink1114, Xphobe, zerocool420, zx6rrider