weird miss and a whole lotta fuel - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 7.3L Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:10 AM
pmpislander
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

weird miss and a whole lotta fuel

Well this is my first post....but i have an 02 f-350 auto 2wd that has a weird problem. when you start the truck it has a miss and smokes quite a bit. i changed the fuel filter(twice), cps, air filter, and batteries(old ones were dead). right after i changed the fuel filter the truck ran like a champ and then went back to missing...both times i changed the fuel filter. so i hooked up the scanner and these are the codes that i pulled. p0541, p0603, p1118, p1211, p1670.....wtf? i just bought the truck from an auction so i dont know much of the history other then i got it cheap and now i think i know why. also i noticed that when i had to key on booting up the scanner there was some smoke from under the hood--the intake heater was running for a while while the key was on and never shut off--the boot was smoking. it would let me do the buzz test and they all worked. the contribution test it just kept telling me the intake air heater a circuit low and would not perfrom the test. im new to the 7.3 but def. not diesels........just need to know what and where else to look next. any help is appreciated, as i need this truck up and running to use as our service truck and my daily driver to get home and back to the shop
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2011, 01:51 AM
TrailerHauler
Custom Trailer Sales
Member's Gallery

Re: weird miss and a whole lotta fuel

PO541 Manifold Intake Air Heater
p0603 Keep alive memory error
P1118 Manifold Air Temperature Sensor Low Input
P1211 Injection pressure out of range, above or below desired
P1670 EF Feedback Signal Not Detected

Do you know what your ICP is?
And how many miles are on the truck?

1999.5 F350 PSD S/C 6spd Dually

R.I.P. Will Iott - "This ain't no practice run"

Old 02-15-2011, 02:21 AM
pmpislander
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

truck has 212,000 on the odometer, and i wanna say that the trucks fuel pressure was around 460psi at idle....if that is what you are asking about the icp--if not then i dont know
Old 02-16-2011, 03:21 AM
jc82chevyman
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Thats tough to diagnose with out a cylinder contribution test and measuring your ICP and the IPR duty cycle to ensure the injectors are gettin enough oil to operate properly and you could be having a weak fuel pump issue which would explain why it ran great with a new less restriction or a weak HPOP
Old 02-17-2011, 06:59 PM
pmpislander
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

well i can tell you its def getting to much fuel--i would think that the fuel pump or hpop are not the problem as i have white smoke out the a$$! its enough to smog out the shop that im workin in, and you can smell the raw fuel.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:10 AM
speeddemon31176
Demon Dually
Member's Gallery

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176

Injector stuck open?
97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
ARP's, 910's, Smith Bros. to come
Old 02-18-2011, 12:43 AM
gottagofast
Freak'n know it all
Member's Gallery

whatever it turns out to be DO NOT DRIVE it while it's white smoking..... it'll cost you an engine...... trust me on this one
Old 02-19-2011, 04:14 PM
TrailerHauler
Custom Trailer Sales
Member's Gallery

First off I would check your fuel pressure up around the bowl somewhere, because of the comment you made about it running fine with a brand new fuel filter.
Then I'd find out what your ICP/ duty cycle is and run a contribution test.

If those are the original injectors you could be due for a set.-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 82
01REDSTROKER, 02POWERSTROKE7.3, 20007.3stroker, 710_burner, 89xj, 96PSD, 96sourstroke, 974DR, Aaron S, abbottfarms, akblockhead, ascrap2003, atvmafia61, aussie powerstroke, Barnbuilder, Bigs88, black truck, bsmithmotorsports, Bushwakd, CALADASH, Capricious, Caster, Chad Edwards, CHevDog1, co04cobra, copperdog, CTC DEEZUL, DcMoore999, elpaso, firemedic5586, fordboy424, FordCowboy, fordlover, gottagofast, jc82chevyman, jdexcursion, joediesle, JoJon, jrbrock, KYcopespitter7.3, kypowerstroke, lcford, lincolnlocker, MACK8592, madmaxz, Marty, Mekanik, metalnova, middlemanjw, Millerfarms, mstadler13, mustang8992, no-tel-in, opieg01, pilot4life, pmpislander, Powerstatement, Powerstoke_Fan, PowerStroke01, powerstrokin02, powertrip, procomp, rdstud60, Rob02F350, shaynep, simpleman, slowduty80, smokindiesel2, Soot Happens, speeddemon31176, STAX, Strokin06, tecelec1, tgf, TrailerHauler, tree trimmer, truckpullin_75, TrueBlue, white7.3, whytry, wildjon