Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

F650 dash mod

42K views 63 replies 34 participants last post by  fifty 
#1 ·
O.K. guys and gals, here are the final pics. I installed the 6 Carling switches, and a DPDT (on-off-on) rocker for my temp guage. After I had cut the opening to fit the 2 carling 3 switch mounts, I had about 1.5 inches of open space at the bottom that just didnt look right to me. I added a false back to the opening and then filled it with bondo. I then hit it with a 100 grit sanding block to get it all nice and level, and then finished it off with 320 grit sand. I light coat of primer, and some paint and its done.

The rocker switch you see below the main switches is a selector switch for my temp guage. Throw the switch to the left, and my guage reads my oil temp, throw it to the right and it reads my coolant temp. I added a T fitting to my HPOP resevior to accomodate both the factory EOT sensor, and the sensor that came with my guage. I also added a sensor for coolant temp in the same fashion. Before anyone asks, I had to add the T fitting to my waterpump, simply because the inside of the hex plug was chewed up, and would not come out.
sorry the nighttime pics arent that clear, cheap camera.

I still need to remount my brake controller

Ford Part number is 4C4Z-7004302-BA, It was about $60 from my local medium duty dealer.
The panels come in the dark gray color of the top half of my dash, but since I was transfering my cup thrower, and ash tray over I went ahead and painted mine to match.

See less See more
#3 ·
That is very nice. I wonder if this would work with a manual truck, with that extended part being there? I like the switch mounting, nice job.

I assume it does not come with the ashtray and the cup holder? If not, what year of ashtray will fit? My ashtray out of my 99.5 does not look like that. I do have the updated cup holder already.

#8 ·
Nope, wont work for the handshakers. The precut rectangular hole is used to house the push button tranny controller for the 650. there is also another small hole that is precut (under where my voltmeter is), it would be used for the parking air brakeknob. I just enlarged it to fit the guages I had. In the next month or so I will be getting some Isspros to match my pillar guages.
You're correct the cupthrower and ash tray do not come with the panel. My truck is a 99.5 so your ashtray should look like mine. All the mounting holes line up perfectly.
I only had to enlarge the large rectangular opening about 1/4 on each side to accomodate the switch housings.

Thanks for the kind words guys.

#9 ·
That is badass, especially with the swichable temp gauge! Nice work.

-Michael

#10 ·
Thats sweet I want to do something like that. Freakin awesome

#11 ·
Looks great! I like it!

#13 ·
I have a dash piece coming so I can do this mod. The dealership that I went through said that part number is a generic part number. The number they gave me for the grey colored dash piece like that was.....

4c4z.7004302.gb

This is for an F-650 with air brakes and Allison tranny.

#16 ·
#17 ·
4c4z.7004302.gb Do you know anything about this number. It was on the socals forum. It is supposed to be the same panel with the hole filled already. I dont have a local medium duty truck store here.

#18 ·
I was the one that posted that. That is for the panel with the Air Brake and the Allison Tranny Controller, just like posted on here. The medium duty dealer that I ordered mine through said that the .....ab part number is a generic part number for all three types of panels. The .....gb is for the panel with air brake and Allison Tranny Controller.

#20 ·
That is sooo neat!!! to bad it won't work with manual trans truck!

#21 ·
BDRUMMONDS- Would you be able to measure how far out that part sticks out past the stock dash? I would like to measure mine and see if there is anyway to make that work with a Stick...
Thanks!!

#23 ·
yeah maybe, when he gets back to me with the measurments I'll go and measure what I need to shift and see :D *Hopes it will work I totally love that mod* most awesome thing ever!

#25 ·
That one there makes me think that it is definatly a NO-GO with a 6 speed. Does anyone have a part # for that piece in an F650 with a manual/airbrakes? That might work dependin on what's different.

-Michael

#26 ·
Awesome pics! thanks I'm gonna go measure that tomorrow, I did call http://www.midwesttrans.com/ this morning and he said he can make me a short throw shifter however I want.... he has made on so only have 1/2" of movement but said really hard to catch gears he has one in his truck that gives him 1" but still to short... the one he sells most of takes out 38-40% of the movement. So... that is always a option maybe going to have to go measure that and see where that shifter comes up through the floor. .

so they have one for a manual with airbrakes? I should call up ford and check that out, will any Ford dealer be able to order it or is it only the medium dealer have it? Ahh maybe bob at www.powerstrokeshop.com might be able to come up with one I'll give them a call.

Thanks again for the pics! that helps a ton!

#28 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.