Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Are there add'l problems with the 6.4?

43K views 53 replies 37 participants last post by  VMAX 
#1 ·
Only thing I heard about was the flamethrower which was easily fixed with a reflash, but I just found this:

Latest Technical Information

Some F-Super Duty vehicles equipped with the 6.4L diesel may exhibit one or more of the following concerns: lacks power, leaks oil, fuel or coolant from the tail pipe, abnormal tailpipe sediment, white smoke or ash, exhaust smell, knock or rattle, elevated idle, surge, crankcase oil level over-full, MIL On, DTC's P0087, P2291, P0263-P0284, P0300-P0308, P1336, P132B, P2262, P2263, P244C or P244D. If you are experiancing any of these concerns, then take it to your dealer and have them refer to TSB # 07-8-9

#4 ·
Yeah, that's what I was wonderin'. The fuel I can see but where is the coolant coming from? Wonder how widespread these problems are?

#5 ·
I can't say about the Ford specific version of that engine, however the MaxxForce engines have had some EGR cooler failures.

So far these engines have been hold up much better than the VT365's did. We are still dealing with some aftertreatment issues, however those are rapidly being sorted out. Regardless of the name on the grill the aftertreatment devices are going to be problematic in pickups, especially those that are used to drive to 7-11 at the end of the block or those that are over-fueled.

It's still too early to tell yet, but I'm happy with our MaxxForce 7's so far. Too bad were stuck with 7500K dollar mufflers :lame: But out of all the MF7's we have so far NO head gasket issues or bent valves.

#17 ·
So far these engines have been hold up much better than the VT365's did. We are still dealing with some aftertreatment issues, however those are rapidly being sorted out. Regardless of the name on the grill the aftertreatment devices are going to be problematic in pickups, especially those that are used to drive to 7-11 at the end of the block or those that are over-fueled.

It's still too early to tell yet, but I'm happy with our MaxxForce 7's so far. Too bad were stuck with 7500K dollar mufflers :lame: But out of all the MF7's we have so far NO head gasket issues or bent valves.

I am new to diesel and jut bought an 08 6.4PSD. To questions, what is over-fueled and is the 6.4PSD a Maxxforce 7 and if not hat is the Maxforce 7?
Thanks.

#13 ·
Hey nate, when are y'all gonna get out the cutting wheel and "fix" that crappy intercooler pipe?

#14 ·
Eww, the one that looks like the downpipe on the OBS trucks? :( It really is squashed!

#16 ·
I talked to the guys at the shop the other day and they said that other then the beginning of the run(flame thrower) they have had 2 trucks come back- both had a harness problem at the valve cover seal..... not bad- they still say ----DON'T TOUCH A 6.0

They did ask when I was going to drop a 7.3 into my mustang.:poke:

Joel

#18 ·
The MaxxForce 7 is just the international designation for the engine in international chassis trucks. Been that way back to the 7.3PSD, international calls it one thing and ford calls it another.

#19 ·
we just got one in at work we will see how it lives through us!!

i still wonder about a emmissions stripped 6.4 in my 97??? with a single or compound turbo??? hmmm common rail....

it looks like you gotta train a mouse to work on the thing though!! it dosnt look like it would be horrible to do if the body was off. do you have to take off the body to change the oil in it?? lol

#21 ·
Yes, they are very quiet, i was impressed when i took one for a test drive. I wouldnt mind having one, but am not paying that kind of money, LOL

#24 ·
i work at a ford dealership we have got a few of these 6.4L a few came in for crack radiator -one or two came in for oil leak one came in for egr cooler leaking
a couple others but not sure what they came in for :ford: but one thing i never seen the PSD come in for is there trans looks like they have a realy good trans i never seen one come in for that

#25 ·
I just got a new work truck with 6.4 diesel f-350 dually ive had no problems with it. It pulls my work trailer like its not back there my truck and trailer total wieght is 24,000 to 26,000 GVW pounds. My old work truck was an 05 6.0 and i didnt have any problems with it either but the 6.0 def has better gas mileage. Ive notice when im pulling my trailer with the 6.4 at about 75mph to 80 the truck runs around 2500 rpms and its the same without the trailer my old 6.0 would run with the trailer from 2300 to 2500 with the trailer and with out the trailer it would run about 2000 rpms. i dont know y the 6.4 gets poor gas mileage has any one else had this problem with there truck

#26 ·
IIve notice when im pulling my trailer with the 6.4 at about 75mph to 80 the truck runs around 2500 rpms and its the same without the trailer my old 6.0 would run with the trailer from 2300 to 2500 with the trailer and with out the trailer it would run about 2000 rpms.

How are you getting different rpm's going the same speed in your 6.0? Shouldn't make any difference having a trailer or not, unless something's wrong with the converter or trans.

From what I understand all the emissions stuff is what's killing the mileage on these things. Seems like I read somewhere that they were getting around 18-20mpg with the dpf removed.

#28 ·
That's what I THINK I read somewhere. :D

#29 ·
well the weight of my trailer is about 15,000 to 18,000 pounds and an empty truck with no trailer i would think it doesnt need all those extra rpms to just push the truck alone. Its not like that at all with the 6.4 that thing gets worse mileage than my 7.3 and theres nothing i can do with the dpf if i want to keep my warranty.

#30 ·
RPM should be the same for a given speed no matter what you're doing with the truck, unless like stated, you have something wrong.

And the mileage I quoted is w/o a dpf.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.