Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad stutter/shudder

64K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  matthewd11 
#1 ·
I've read through all the threads I could find, but can't seem to find a definitive answer.

Here's the deal, at ~1,400-1,600 rpms, if I start easing down on the go pedal to speed up without downshifting, the truck has a horrible shudder. It's kind of like when a gas burner is getting too much fuel, and not enough air. It's bad enough that it SHAKES the entire truck. I have to back out of it, and hit the go pedal enough to downshift. Anything over ~1,900 rpms is completely normal. Any ideas? Changed the fuel filters, and made no difference.

#4 ·
Don't notice it much through the gears, but in OD it feels like it'll shake the truck apart. Only code I get is for a faulty ECU in my overhead computer.

#5 ·
Check your injectors.... Mine did it bad in OD and I had to put a set of injectors in it.

#6 ·
Mine did that right before it threw a code for an injector, if you were at a half throttle it felt like ya would shake apart, but when ya let off and put more into it, it would stop.... check all the connectors on your injectors when it's runnin... if you hit the right one, you will hear an audible pitch change... Just shut the truck off, and see if maybe it is just loose or you may need to replace it... Guys that worked on my truck just pulled the little U pin off, took it out, and put it back in... it had just worked its way out... Worth a shot, right...? Had me panicking that I would have to replace the injector, but someone here threw in checking that, and that's all it was. Good luck!!!

#9 ·
I am thinking you may have a problem with overdrive(transmission). Hopefully somebody with a little more knowledgle (Doug) will chime in.

#12 ·
The shutter you feel is your injectors not getting enough oil pressure to operate properly due to clogging/coking ( commonly referred to as injector sticking)...the reason it's only present in OD is because the engine RPM has steadied out and between about 1,200 and 1,700 RPM in OD the load on the engine is so low that any heavy clogging in oil passages in injectors causes them to misfire or ( stick the spool valves ) by changing engine load you force more oil through the injector at a higher PSI....this problem is common on cold starts and gets better as the truck warms up due to the oil getting thinner and flows better when hot....if your truck is doing it all the time, hot or cold than an alternative to injector replacement is switching to a 5w40 oil and adding a product like REV-X....but remember these are not permanent fixes...there's no way to clean the injector properly without removing it....

#13 ·
That actually makes a lot of sense, as how the truck doesn't fire right up when I turn the key over, anymore. It cranks over a few times before it starts, and runs. So, basically, what you're saying, is I have to pull the injectors?

#14 ·
The only way to fix this problem correctly is to either replace your injectors or pull them out, pull them apart, clean them and reassemble them ( But I wouldn't recommend pulling them apart unless you have experience at this ) Now a way to get some more life out of them is to switch to a 5w40 motor oil and add a lubricity additive like Rev-X or something...the thinner oil and the additive will counter act the deposit and coking buildup for awhile, but eventually you'll have to replace the injectors, but you can probably get about 50,000 miles of trouble free running, this will also give you some time to save for injectors....this was a poor design by Ford, the 7.3 injectors never had this problem despite being an oil operated injection system also...Ford scrapped this design starting with the 6.4....

#15 ·
Guess I'll get some Rev-X, as I've been running 5w-40 synthetic for quite some time.

#16 ·
Rev-X has worked miracles in alot of peoples vehicles...it's def. worth the price you pay, I should know cause I run it in my truck....it took care of my injector problem, but for how long...who knows...3,000 miles and counting so far with no problems...

#18 ·
It totally cured my shuddering problem....but like I said, for how long is anybody's guess...I just added it this last oil change and after a couple minutes of running the problem was gone and hasn't come back...but i think the catch is you have to add this stuff to every oil change...which can add up pretty quick if you put alot of miles on your truck...I change my oil every 5,000 miles, I've put 3,000 on it since oil change + rev-X and no problems at all...

#20 ·
This is not for a Transmission concern....this is added to your engine oil to stop injector sticking issues....but according to Rev-X you cannot run this in an automatic transmission, only systems like Manual Transmissions, Differentials, Power steering, Transfer case and Engine.... Etc...

#22 ·
Well that depends on how many injectors are really coked up and how many are compensating for the other ones....Try this, drive around with the OD cancelled, this will keep the RPM up for city or town driving, should run better also due to higher RPM...interstate driving ???? well that's totally up to you...

#23 ·
I think he was asking if you could run it in a truck with an automatic transmission, not actually in the tranny. Cuz that was gonna be my question, cuz their site is kinda confusiong.

#24 ·
Oh....it doesn't matter about what kind of transmission you have, I have an automatic...they're saying they don't want you to add it to the automatic transmission fluid...but you can run it in a truck with a manual or auto...and about canceling the OD when driving, that's to keep engine RPM up so you will have better oil pressure at your injectors...

#25 ·
Is their website the only place you can get it, or can you get it locally? I've looked at a few places here in town with no luck, but I live in a very small town.

And how much do you add, so I know how much to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.