Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

bent push tube/rod???????

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  nitrogen 
#1 ·
i just bent a push tube on my 03 excursion with the 6.0...... took engine out to head stud it and put a new set of lifters in it while out.... turning over by hand it had a little hard spot, and i guess that was it bending my tube... was not much pressure at all, AT ALL and it went away thought i was ok... started with a miss, switched injectors to make sure it was injector prob and prob did not move. so i watched the rockers run, and intake on number 4 cyl was bent, but hey only 4.33 at ford and you can buy just one...hell yeah. i just want to know why it had clearance issues to begin with, new lifters, so they would not be pumped up already...
guess ill see if new one has the clearance prob also.....

#4 ·
common cause of bent rod on diesels, creosote buildup on valve stem, its fine when its hot but after the engine cools down it kind of sets up. the valve is sluggish to return to the closed position, due to the excess valve clearance that results the pushrod can actually fall out on the top end. if tat happens and the pushrod jams on some edge things go clang. tar buildup is generally caused by excess idle time especially if the engine runs cool. the bent rods generally happen most to engines that are shut off right after a long idle, if they get driven hard enough to get the egts up, enough tar is blown out to keep it from sticking too badly. other scenario is valve is sticky and engine is gunned hard enough that the sticky valve floats long enough to receive a little lovin from Mr. Piston ending up with bent pushrod. just my 24 years of experience. thats not my age its the years of driving big rigs and seeing OTHER guys bend rods

#6 ·
I just did a set of head gaskets on an 04' 6.0 and bent the same one.

#7 ·
and did you just put a new one in and in and it went okay? i could not sleep when i figured out that was my miss prob. i kept thinking ok, thats bent and why i have a miss, but why did it bent in first place??????
but it works now so o well.....

#8 ·
we se every now and then on semis, someone leaves it on low idle( instead of revved up to 1000) overnight or maybe 2-3 days if your stuck somewheres for a weekend, and then they shut it off and it cools down. now if they had driven a couple hundred miles before they shut it off the odds of this drop to almost 0

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.