Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Do I need a new exhaust?

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  CFiss 
#1 ·
Currently I'm running a 96 F350 with tymar intake, SD compressor wheel, and aftermarket 3.5 downpipe, gutted cat, and a TS 6 pos chip. How much would I gain by going with a 4 inch exhaust with muffler and cat delete. Just wondering if it is worth the money. The EGT's haven't gotten above 1200 degrees, with the hammer down pulling up a hill.

#2 ·
If by sd compressor wheel you mean wicked wheel, there is no performance there, our trucks came stock with a wicked wheel. As for the exhaust you wouldnt gain much since you already have a dp and no cat. It will sound better with a 4 inch exhaust though.

#3 ·
A broader torque curve across the powerband mainly. I actually pulled 400hp through the stock 3.5" muffler but the power was more peaky than with the true 4" I installed later. Use a muffler, straight pipes are just for noise value; the cat and EBPV are the big restrictions after the downpipe. The 4" truck mufflers are a straight through design with very little restriction. The stock 3.5" muffler is also a straight through design.

#6 ·
Like old man rivers said... 3.5 is plenty if you don't have huge expensive build plans in the future... The only thing you'll gain is a little change in sound... It's not "needed" with your one mod...

#12 ·
I already have EGT, Boost, and tranny temp gauges, the wheel was thrown on there because it was cheap and the factory wheel looked like a chew toy when I bought the truck. A couple different sites say the SD wheel pushes more cfm over the wicked wheel, which is why it would cause surge in the newer trucks with stock air boxes. At the time I was on a real budget and that was the cheapest route.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.