Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

460 ZF same as 7.3 ZF?

58K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  tjl123 
#1 ·
I found a rebuilt zf5 trans for sale but it is oringally out of a gas 95 460 trans...

Would this work to replace my zf5 in my 7.3?

Or if I could swap the internals from one to the other.

#5 ·
There is no converter on a ZF-5.

From my research for my '56 ford 460 swap is the case and the gear ratios are different between the 7.3 and the 460 zf's. FWIW :ford:
I do not know the answer to this, don't see there being a difference in gearing.

the bell housing bolt pattern is different form a BBF to a diesel
The 460 and 7.3IDI and PSD all share the same bellhousing to the best of my knowlegde.

I would think the only major diff would be the clutch/flywheel. Someone will chime in with good info.

#3 ·
From my research for my '56 ford 460 swap is the case and the gear ratios are different between the 7.3 and the 460 zf's. FWIW :ford:

#6 ·
I know that when you do a cummins conversion, they sell different adapter plates for the gas zf5 and the diesel zf5, so they have to be different.

The s5-42 tranny has different ratios than ths s5-47. The s5-47 was mostly used in the DI powerstroke and required a synthetic fluid. It was also rated for a little more torque

s5-42 s5-47
Rev 5.24 3.79
1st 5.72 4.14
2nd 2.94 2.37
3rd 1.61 1.42
4th 1.00 1.00
5th .76 .76

Clutch is different too, of course.

#8 ·
What are ways that I can tell a BBF zf from a PSD ZF?

Doesnt the gas zf use a internal slave cylender (not to sure on the big block ones)

Heres the one for sale.

And here is mine I pulled yesterday.

Take in mind the guy selling this has numberous ZF5s and isnt sure if this was a gas or a diesel trans.

#10 ·
Got one of each here at the shop. Bellhousings are different for sure.
Not sure on gear ratios, but I havew swapped out the zf in a 95 powerstroke OBS rollback, and one from a 96 reg cab f-250 powerstroke.
The f-250 had the lower first gear. Both were factory trannies.
So, it may not be a gas vs diesel thing, might be just different build dates, or possibly just optional gearing, or maybe even different for trucks with different rear gears as the 350 rollback has 5.13 I think, and the 250 had 4.10

It is very easy to swap the case as long as you turn the right side up before slidng it apart! hahah
DONT ASK! :doh:

#12 ·
Bellhousings are different for sure.

So, it may not be a gas vs diesel thing, might be just different build date

It is very easy to swap the case as long as you turn the right side up before slidng it apart! hahah
DONT ASK! :doh:[/quote]

:whs:The gearing is the same, but the build dates are what is different. They kept changing things inside the tranny's over the years, synchros, shafts, bearings, ect. When you order specific parts for these trannys like mentioned above they are serial# specific because of all the subtle changes made from one year to the next. The bell housings will not match up either, but yes you can take the guts from one tranny and put them into another. the cases are the same

#16 ·
There are 3 different sets of gear ratios between the ZF trans: Gas, 42 diesel, and 47 diesel

Gas ratios are:

1st Gear: 5.72
2nd Gear: 2.94
3rd Gear: 1.61
4th Gear: 1.00
5th Gear: 0.76
Rev Gear: 5.24

S5-42 diesel are:

1st Gear: 4.14
2nd Gear: 2.37
3rd Gear: 1.42
5th Gear: 0.77
Rev Gear: 3.79

and S5-47 Diesel are:

1st Gear: 5.08
2nd Gear: 2.60
3rd Gear: 1.53
5th Gear: 0.77
Rev Gear: 4.66

I personally prefer the S5-42 transmission over the 47, I've had 2 trucks with 47's and 3 trucks with 42's. The 42's are much better shifting if they are in good condition. Although my '97 has a 47 with a dual disc infront of it and I've managed a 14.3 in the 1/4mi.

-Michael

#17 ·
I believe the biggest difference is the year made and is it coming off a small block or big block.The small block zf5spd wont work with the diesels the housing is different (dowel pins etc)the 460 and diesels should interchange depending on the year made. I believe they changed things up after 94 so 87 to 94 . This info is from different things I have read for I am looking at the same thing.The gearing is preference they have them where they are close or wide apart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.