Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

whats the best oil for my 96 f350 7.3

64K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  blamedachevy 
#1 ·
hey guys i got a 1996 f-350 powerstroke and i was wondering if the type of oil u use could bring up the hp and what is the best kind if any i run delo 400 15-40w and want to know if theres a better one

and how else could i make the hp go up???

:pullover:

#3 ·
I run 5-40 in mine, the start up is much easier in the winter.

#5 ·
if ur lookin for increased hp out of a brand of oil... i think ur gonna be very dissatisfied with ur outcome. oil change=$75-$100... hp upgrades=$1,000's:poke:

#8 ·
i use straight 30 weight traveler on suggestion of heavy equipment mech. and it runs the same if not better

#16 ·
What I don't like about the latest certified oils is they have cut back on some wear agents and additives for emissions reasons.

I'm a firm believer in frequency of oil changes. I do like Rotella and Delo. We used Delo 400 almost exclusively on the ships.

The spinner II centrifuge and/or bypass filtering are a couple things I'm looking at.

#18 ·
The problem is he is a cummins guy. Ask how many horses his Banks sticker adds... A 1" lift will not decrease hp and a 4 inch exhaust will help your truck breathe which will help you with horsepower when you chip or put larger injectors in your truck. Adding exhaust alone will bring you a few hp but nothing really noticeable.

#19 ·
I have used rotella the whole time i have owned my truck and no issues yet

#24 ·
well ####......i wish i woulda known how better 5w-40 is in winter...I just spent my money on rotella 15w-40 like i always do...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.