Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

97 Powerstroke wont start!!?

5K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  old man dave 
#1 ·
Just recently my truck decided it would just stop running.. the truck died like i turned it off, but when i crank the engine it just turns over and over and no ignition. ive replaced the CPS, that didnt work.. i than relized that i wasnt getting fuel to my filter.. so i changed the filter.. still nothing. i also checked my HPOP resivior and that 1 gallon top alluminum tank was empty.. so i filled it and i tried to clean the IPR but that did nothing as the truck still doesnt start...!? im lost and dont know what the problem is.. IDM or HPOP or LPOP..? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

#4 ·
You have a mechanical fuel pump so if there is no fuel getting to the filter housing then it is either the pump or you have a fuel restriction in the lines.

#5 ·
Okay thanks! here is an update, i cranked the engine a few times for about 20 sec each time and the fuel filter gets fuel but still didnt fill it full only about half way.. the oil in the HPOP didnt leak out any it stayed right at the top. also if it is my fuel pump would i be better off just going to electric or do these pumps usually last awhile?

#8 ·
got 238,xxx miles on my mechanical pump, still running....... going to do efuel when I get around to injectors and HPOP..... but for $169 nib mechanical pump....... put another mechanical pump in it while you collect parts for an efuel swap.

#11 ·
(??No one has asked??) Does the tach move while cranking? If you're getting a WTS light and tach movement, and you're getting fuel pressure and the idiot oil gauge responding, IDM would be high on the suspect list. That or an injection pressure issue; have you tried starting it with the ICP sensor disconnected?

#12 ·
Yea sorry i didnt state that earlier.. the tach and WTS light all work and i did try starting with the ICP disconnected and still nothing.. i have a buddy thats gonna let me try using his working IDM sat morning to see if it is my IDM. is it common for complete IDM failure? because my truck was running well and simply died and would not start again..

#14 ·
I am having the same problem exactly. Replaced CPS, fuel filter, I am getting fuel to the bowl, HPOP was empty, filled it, stayed full, still won't start. Put a code reader on it, no codes. I am going to try the IDM next as well. Hopefully that is it.

#16 ·
Yea its located on the driverside oil gallery.. but still nothing.. i did remove it and shake it and i thought maybe i heard something but idk ha.. about 3 weeks ago i had to take the truck through some pretty deep water holes so maybe.. i will let you all know if the working IDM works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.