Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Died and won't restart

6K views 33 replies 10 participants last post by  cvdenson 
#1 ·
Help, 2000 7.3 I had driven about 10 miles when truck died like you turned the switch off, would not restart. After towing it home and checking a couple things,(I'm just learning about the PS) several hours it cranked and idled an hour in driveway. I replaced the cps and checked the fuel pressure, 58 psi at wot. Today after 20 miles it quit again and would not crank. No CEL, Wait to start is coming on, turns over good, 60 psi fuel. no codes. I will see in the morning if it cranks cold. Where do I go from here?

#31 ·
i have the same problem driving down the road and just stalled. maxi 22 fuse was blown, so i replaced and unplugged heater. now the fuse doesnt blow. replaced cps (from autozone). have no tach movemoent with new one and with old one. truck wont start. is it supose to move? did start a few weeks ago but ran like sh*t. had to keep it around 1,200rpms. let off pedel ran rough but still ran and as soon as i shut the door stalled and wont restart. i havent been able to drive it in months.

were is this sensor that went bad located?

1996 f250 ext cab
320,000 but still ran strong (highway miles)

#32 ·
Mine wasn,t a sensor it was the relay for the idm. I don't know about the 96 but on mine it is in the fuse box under the hood near the brake master cyl. Maybe one of the guy's that know the 96 can help with where it is on your's.

Mike
2000 F350 CC srw

#34 ·
Mike where did you get the sensor and what is the part #? Everything have described is what I'm encountering with my 2002 Excursion. I have AE and ran all the tests and came back OK. Passed injector buzz test and cylinder contribution. ICP is ~520psi at idle with 8% DC. The Excursion takes a long time to start and then idles rough and irregular. I checked and changed the pre-pump inline fuel filter which was clogged and the fuel bowl filter which needed it. At that point the EX was able to start and idle irregularly. After idling a while it is more consistent but the motor (for lack of better explanation) sounds like a cummins. It doesn't sound right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.