Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Did The Unthinkable, Put Gas in my 7.3!! Help!

20K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  Marty 
#1 ·
So last night I got in a hurry, wasn't paying attention, and accidentally pumped gas into my 02 F250 7.3's tank.:( I'll blame it on the 14 hr. work days the past two weeks, so i've been in a bit of a haze. Totally my fault, none the less.

I didn't start the truck, pushed it away from the pump and had it towed home. I was on empty and put about 17 gallons in before I smelled the gas and realized what I was doing. I need suggestions on the best way to get everything drained out and running with doing minimal damage to the fuel system. Thanks in advance!!

#6 ·
Just go down and buy one of those cheap 12V fuel pumps. Looks like a block. Unhook your fuel line where it attaches to your fuel pump, hook it to the new fuel pump. Run a line from there and fill up all of yours, and all your neighbors gas cans. When it is empty, dump about ten gallons of diesel in and go on your happy way.

And like every body else said, glad you didn't start it.

#8 ·
17 gallons is a lot if it was only 3 or 4 you could just have filled up the rest of the way with diesel and been okay. I don't see why you couldn't undo the pump and get it to pump it out but you'd need to be careful not to run the pump dry for very long.

#13 ·
17 gallons is a lot if it was only 3 or 4 you could just have filled up the rest of the way with diesel and been okay.
This is a false statement!
If you do this you can kiss your motor goodbye. Gas is a solvent based fuel. One gallon of Gas in 30 gallons of diesel will shorten the life of your engine/Injectors etc.
Just take off the fuel line at the outlet side of your fuel pump, run a hose from there to a fuel can. Then run a 12 gauge wire from the positive side of you Driver side Battery, down to your pump and let your pump drain the tank. Reinstall the factory line back on the pump, Add 2 +/- gallons of diesel and cycle the key on and off 4-5 times to clear all the gas out of the fuel/return lines. Then remove the outlet side pump hose again and remove the rest of the contaminated fuel as before. Replace the Fuel filter, then add 5-10 gallons of clean diesel and your good to go.

#9 ·
If it was determined to be ok to pump gasoline through the diesel fuel pump, then I'd just disconnect the output line on the fuel pump and put a rubber hose on it so you can direct the fuel to some gas cans or buckets and then just turn the key on and let the fuel pump pump it out. Granted the fuel pump will shut off after a few seconds, its still easier than dropping the tank.

#11 ·
If you use your stock pump, just pull the relay and run a bypass wire in it's place, then the pump will run steady for as long as it takes to empty the tank.

Dave

#12 ·
I work for a Ford dealership and we had a tow-in, 6.4L of course, lol. Anyways, it was an 09 and it was his 3rd time filling up the truck, as well as his first diesel owned, and he pumped 28 gallons of gasoline into his tank. Started the truck and got 1/4 mile down the road and the truck died. He had no idea what was wrong. Ended up having to buy a whole new engine.

The funniest part (not a funny situation for him) is he asked if he could do the whole 'Cash for Clunkers' bit and buy a used 7.3 LOL! He's sitting on an $85,000 stock truck now... I wanted to joke with him saying, I know gas is cheaper, but it's not THAT much cheaper!!

#14 ·
If all you did was fill up and that was it, tow it home.

Drop the tank... it's 2 straps, one electrical connection and 2 quick disconnects. Then call up a neighbor and ask if they want to fill up there car(s) at a discounted rate. Put the tank on the truck bed and use a hose to connect the tank to the car. You can use air to get the siphoning going. clamp a 3/8" hose onto the feed line, cover the filler neck, use compressed air to blow into the return line. It will work, just don't remove the air hose until you are sure the siphoning has started otherwise it will spit out fuel.

I wouldn't run gas through ANY of the factory lines or the factory pump... just drop the tank.

#15 ·
Which is why I said to buy a cheap fuel pump. It is already in the pre pump line. A tank full of fuel is really heavy.

#17 ·
27 gallons + tank ~ 300 lbs. A tranny jack, motor cycle jack will work wonders. I dropped a 38 gallon tank that was 3/4 full with a standard jack and was able to use one hand to balance it no problem. That would be at least 27 gallons in it. Either way... the reinstallation is harder because with less fuel in it... the sloshing is way worse. However his tank will be empty when reinstalling then it was for me.

Not disagree'ing with you... at all.... just giving another option. I do however disagree with using the stock fuel pump to move the gas out... and I don't like the idea of running any gas through the factory lines that might still be in there when it's all said and done.

#20 ·
No problem, sorry if I sounded like I was being an #######.

I was just giving an alternate idea...

Either way... get the fuel out and if you don't use it in a car or for parts cleaner then dispose of it properly... but you've already bought it... might as well try to recoupe some funds :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.