Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

The ultimate 6.0 tune is it possible?

14K views 70 replies 36 participants last post by  6speedSD 
#1 ·
Lets pick some of the tuners brains here guys.

Ive been thinking about the ultimate stock truck file.

Would it be possible to build a 420hp file that is capable of towing safely?

Is the mapping possible?

For this experiment we will assume the driver will not use his right foot as a throttle on off switch.

He will drive like a normal human being

#32 ·
The only trouble I see with it is if you get out and drive from coast to coast on I-80 is the wind, with our 2008 chevy and 8k I have had it on the floor running 75, the sped limit, stock they will take it, tuned egts would most likely get a little hot, you would have to slow down to keep temps say, which it gets hard to watch the gauges all day and night, that's just my 02.

#33 ·
Come on. The 6.0 is a hit or miss. I dont know why every one is arguing??

And im not just sayin this off of hearsay. One of our 6.0s has had great luck with only a tune intake and exhaust. The other nothin but blown gaskets warped heads and more blown gaskets with studs and EGR delete so idk why people keep crying. Every truck is different....

#36 ·
That is exactly the point...they're all different. To say you HAVE to do studs and a delete just isn't correct. You may have to...you may not.
I say don't spent the money until the truck makes you spend it.

#34 ·
i have a 30'fifth wh and i haven't towed with the SCT yet..i have towed a 24' lowboy with a compact tractor(total of about 5500lbs) and used the tow file...it was gutless so i switched to extreme street and used the tow/haul mode...that was great.
my 5th weights about 9000 lbs, can i safely tow with the extreme file ?
i used to have bully dog and it would pull up hills like the camper fell off miles back.

#35 ·
We have had 3 six liters over 5 years on the farm, all stock. The first two blew up on the road towing with a sct tuner. Head gasket failures. The weak points showed themselves more with the tuner. The third we sold before it puked on us. Will never own a 6leaker again

#37 ·
If you drive it or tow with a tuner it would be cost effective to pull the bolts one by one cab on versus paying someone big bucks to pull the heads, make them flat etc. Its good preventative maintainance. Otherwise youre risking the bolts stretching or the egr puking if it's still in place also.

#38 ·
I would say drive it till they go, pulled 20k for 40000 miles, then off and on trailer life, chipped at 75, now I have 93. Heads and cooler are still good, and we town as fast as we could, to the floor.

#41 ·
almost 150k on my stock gaskets/bolts

made it to 145k before the oil cooler showed small signs of plugging

I love my 6.0

#42 ·
Love mine too. Treats me way better than my 7.3 ever did.

#43 ·
i think we need a like button like on FB

#44 ·
My truck has stock head bolts and egr cooler and I'm running idp extreme race I've towed a 1 ton mud truck with it and egts actually ran cooler than my tow file. Plus with the added power you don't have to push on the pedal as hard. All though I'm not concerned about having issues as I don't have to pay somebody to fix it.

#45 ·
I have never really had any issues with the 6.0 company trucks we had, they got drove hard, bone stock and never any cab off issues...

#46 ·
Love this one as well, after studs and egr delete though :D hg took a dump before the tunes even went on I think LOL

#48 ·
I do see a crap ton of regular cab tow trucks around here that are 6.0s. They're not pulling quite as much though I guess haha

#49 ·
I have a friend with a 2007 F350 6.0 that he has never had any problems with and now he is asking me if I know how to get a little more power out of it. He has 60,000 miles on it and its stock other than a intake. He does not want to do a exhaust and does mostly towing (8,000- 10,000 lbs) what would be the best tune for him to run?

#50 ·
I just turned 109,000 on my truck.
Started out at 43,000 with the DiaBLOW predator,Edge Juice Platinum and then my SCT tuned by Eric at around 50,000miles.
I have had larger injectors since 60,000 with many 12 second passes plus towing my 28' enclosed race trailer and my truck has never seen a dealership!
I don't have an EGR delete or headgaskets and am actually looking at getting a 2003 King Ranch Dually right now.....so what does that tell ya.

#55 ·
How many miles on the 200s?

#58 ·
I pulled 12k with just a tune (looney Matt's SRL +), exhaust and intake for years and didn't have any issues. I didn't do the studs until 99k the first time. Did them the second time at 113k (had something else fail...) and at that time is when I did the EGR delete. I'm at 136k now and plan on towing my 12k camper back home from Alabama this week and I will be running SRL ++ :evil Just like I did when I pulled it here 9 months ago.

#63 ·
Guys just to be clear guys. Ive had an SCT on my truck since I signed the papers at time of purchase. It had Erics Extreme st tune loaded before it left the dealer lot

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.