Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Oscilloscope?

5K views 48 replies 16 participants last post by  Chillin 
#1 ·
Who uses them? I have been playing around with them but I didn't know who else has used them?

#23 ·
I use one daily at work (auto/ diesel repair), the days of test lights and ohm meters are gone. Without an O-Scope you would be completely lost/ or just a POS parts changer who wouldn't know if the part you are changing is bad..... or why it failed.

I would like to hear more about this.

#6 ·
Ive been using them for the past 6 weeks in school. Monitoring injector pulse width, checkin 02 sensors, any type of MPG sensors, lots other sensors too

#14 ·
The communication between PCM and IDM, the IPR signal, CPS output, Injector high side and actual injection firing signals are just a few things I view the most on the truck.

I have a sub-harness that is a permanent part of my chassis harness with a Deutsch connector on it where I clip in another test harness that runs up into the cab to my scope. I often leave the scope on the seat next to me running off of an inverter so I can watch timing and pulsewidth LIVE in realtime while I drive and tune the truck.

If you want to know what your timing and pulsewidth values are, the scope is where the bullsh*t stops on these trucks.

#12 ·
I would love to have one. I just wish I could afford one. If I was given the choice of only one diagnostic tool but it could be whatever I wanted, it would be a good o-scope. They never go out of date. You can use them for anything.

If you don't have a DVOM, you can use the o-scope instead.

#13 ·
I would love to have one. I just wish I could afford one. If I was given the choice of only one diagnostic tool but it could be whatever I wanted, it would be a good o-scope. They never go out of date. You can use them for anything.

If you don't have a DVOM, you can use the o-scope instead.

Can't tell you how many times I've had just a basic requirement like voltage, frequency or the like and had the scope out with an extension cord following me around because I didn't have a DVOM handy.

#17 ·
If anybody has an old ugly looking one that they want to sell cheap, please let me know.

#19 ·
I am really looking for someone that has an old ugly military field use one. That they aquired from somebody and have no clue what they are looking at. And I get it for a easy 100 dollar bill. If I run across a deal with five of those, how many do you want?

#25 ·
A cool machine for sound is a spectrum analyzer. Those things put the sound on a screen, you can see the noise and do things to remove it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.