Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Serpentine Belt Change on 6.0

32K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  6speedSD 
#1 ·
Is there any kind of write-up or directions for changing the serpentine belt on a 6.0? I was reading something about cutting a shroud out but, can it be done without cutting it? Im kind of lost on this one. Im a visual learner so pictures would help. Thanks :ford:

#2 ·
You can remove the half of the fan shroud closest to the engine and leave it off....you don't need it....it bolts to the front of the engine and then pops off of the rest...you will be amazed at the amount of room you will have to work once it's gone....you will have to zip tie the fan connector to the remaining piece of the shroud up top....

#4 ·
What part are you reffering to taking off? The stator shroud?

As far as removing the belt, I've done one with the shroud and stator in place but it was a serious PITA. My preferred method would be draining about a gallon or so of coolant into a clean container so that you can re-use the coolant. Remove the Degas bottle hose and upper radiator hose from the radiator and move them out of the way. Unbolt the shroud from the top of the radiator. I also pull the radiator mounts off the top and roll the wiring harness over the core support and pull the radiator to the core support to make more room. Pull the shroud upwards being very very careful not to break the degas bottle nipple. Once you have it past the nipple you can pull it up, you may have to move it around the fan. Once you have the front shroud out, you can unbolt the stator from the block and unplug the fan. After stator removal, you can remove the fan. There are special wrenches designed to loosen the fan from the water pump. If you dont have the wrench a few seconds with an air hammer will free it up. Once the fan and shroud are out of the way, the belt is easily accessable. Hope that helps.

#3 ·
The only way to get the inner fan shroud off without cutting it, is you have to remove the fan clutch from the pulley & it'll come right out! you also need to remove the upper radiator hose to get shroud out.

#7 ·
Well so far I removed both shrouds and the fan. I used a 1 3/4" wrench and an aligning punch to loosen it. All I have to do now is swap the belts and put everything back together. So far its been 2 hours but, Im taking my time and trying not to break anything. Ill take some pictures of it all apart then.

#10 · (Edited)
Well I got it all back together and everything is working good. I had to go to the hardware store to get a bolt but other than that it wasn't too bad. I think the hardest part was removing the fan. The Dealer said it would have cost around $7-900 to do the job so I saved some cash. Here are two crappy pictures of what I got myself into...

Edit: and the wrench I used was an 1 7/8" not an 1 3/4". It won't let me edit my oher post...

Attachments

#13 ·
I just changed my belt a couple weeks ago even though I bought it in August, while replacing the alternator. There is a holding tab on some of the tensioners. It holds the tensioner in place til you get everything in place. I did not remove anything other than the belt and alternator.

#16 ·
I had a shop replace mine back when they had the motor out. and I remember having 2 belts?!? I have dual alt. maybe thats why maybe im wrong and am remembering incorrectly. however the point of the story is that belts from the dealer where not cheap at all but yea still 700+ is ridiculous. Great job on figuring it out and saving that money!

#18 ·
There is a lock on the tensioner. Mine is apparently broke, because it won't lock. However, I ditched the stator long ago, so getting to the tensioner now is easy peezy. No issues what so ever with it gone...just saying.

And $700+ to change a friggen belt....there's a reason they are called the stealership.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.