Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1997 ford f350 7.3 liter wont start HELP!!

63K views 64 replies 12 participants last post by  monroegt 
#1 ·
i really need help please ive replaced the high pressure oil pump,fuel pump,ipr,fuel filter,idm,and more and still no start can anybody help me please?

#31 ·
well if ford diaged it and did the work bring it back and tell them to fix it right.FYI, never just go throwing parts at these trucks.You will just end up with empty pockets and a truck that still wont run.Your next step should be finding a good diesel tech who has access to a ford ids scanner.A no start on these trucks i could think of 5 things right off the top of my head that it could be and theres plenty more. good luck. O by the way you could still have a bad cps even with a rpm signal.

#32 ·
So it sounds like you took it too the dealer and they threw a hpop and a ipr at it and still no start. That sounds to me like the initial diagnosis was probably flawed and a probably good hpop was replaced. If you are lacking any diagnostic tools you are probably stuck in a position to where you are going to have to find a shop that knows what they are doing that can fix it. If you shoot me your email address I have a manual that will help to explain how the hpop system works if you want.

#33 ·
Make yourself a simple, cheap test gauge that u can attach to your oil high pressure oil lines where they are going into the heads. That is a very simple test, no electronic scanners are involved, its easy, and fast. It will narrow it down big time for you. It will tell you if you are getting pressure out of the HPOP and IPR, and if you are then you can move farther to see which head you are loosing the pressure in. Once you find that you can have a lot better game plan.

#37 ·
A bad cps will usually start out by cutting off going down the road sometimes, or maybe just hiccup sometimes. Subject to just fail for no good reason. This will cause a no-start. Sometimes they will start back up, sometimes not. I still gotta bet on a hpo problem being that ether would start it up for a while. A bad cps it will fire up on ether but it will shut right back off when the ether is gone, and still not run.

So, you got a problem elsewhere more than likely.
Are you SURE that res. is still full of oil? If it has not fired up since they re-installed the new hpop, then it will still have air in that system, and be hard to start for a bit. But, if its been cranked and cranked, then it should have fired by now, unless theres another problem.

#38 ·
Since you are getting no smoke at all, then its obvious you're injectors are not even attempting to fire.

I would LOAD TEST the batteries first. I know you say that they are new, but test them anyways because you've been cranking and cranking with them and could have drained them. You need at least 10.5 V while cranking or the injectors will not receive a pulsewidth to fire.

Second, if that tests out well. Replace the CPS. They are cheap.

Thirdly, you need some way to view if you are building HPO during cranking. Borrow a scanner, or ask the dealership SPECIFICALLY if they can do this for you and ask what the readings are. Like Tom said, you need at least 500 psi oil for it to fire.

Have you verified that fuel pressure is OK? if not, you need to do that also.

Also, check the oil level to make sure it is at the proper level.

One more thing, i'm just curious, but is the SES light on while cranking? Does it go out after 2-3 seconds once you turn the key on?

After you've done all this, check back and let us know what you find.

#40 ·
STOP USING THE ETHER! YOU'RE GOING TO BLOW SOMETHING UP!

What color smoke out the tail pipe (if any) when it was running?

when is the last time you changed the fuel fitler?

You said you recently changed the oil, correct?

Have you verified fuel pressure????

Is the charging system putting out adequate voltage?

You still need to see what your ICP is doing...

is the SES light on?

#44 ·
can you answer all of my questions in my last post so i can help you further?

throw that either in the garbage or you could be buying a whole engine very soon.

You need to re read both of my posts in this thread. Until you do all of the things mentioned in both posts, there is nothing anyone else can do to help you. Those are things that must be checked.

#46 ·
If it dies when it warms up I suspect that is an issue with the loss of HP oil pressure when the oil thins. Since it has a new HPOP and IPR I would next think the more common areas of concern are injector o-rings or the injectors which are bleeding off your HP oil pressure

#48 ·
Look, go get someone to hookup a scanner and pull codes. Check hpop while cranking over, duty cycle, and see what you got. Until you know the problem your gonna spend a ton of money for nothing. Advance auto scanners will NOT work. Nor any other parts store scanners I know of. You will need a good snap-on or someother high end scanner with the right software.
Or you could just keep throwing parts at it. Matter of fact, I have a pcm for a 96 manual. Not sure on the part number , but I can check. I'm betting thats not your problem. Also got a IDM if you wanna try that too.

Seriously , check the codes, and post up what you get before buying stuff you dont need.
Maybe try posting your location so maybe theres someone close by with auto enginuity might be willing to come help you out.

#54 ·
Right, right......

Probly had a bad muffler bearing or something like that.
It couldnt have POSSIBLY been anything that we could have figured out.....
At least over the internet, without trouble codes, without ANY logical sort of testing, and without any data of ANY kind other than ," nope, it aint that, have ya got a spare pcm?"

Sorry dude. Sorry we couldnt figure out that the muffler bearing went bad on ya.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.