Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

6.0 miss fire

9K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  zunk 
#1 ·
Hey guys. New here. I have a 03 super duty with a 6.0. It a 350 dually 4x4 with an automatic. Heres the deal. The truck will start and idle fine. It will accelerate fine also. Once to cruising speed it starts surging and bucking in high gear. If the trans kicks down the engine is smooth. It will throw a #5 contribution code once in awhile. Number five injector has been replace three times in the last couple of months. No change in how the truck runs. The dealer can't figure it out. Once they told me the truck needed to be ripped down until they find the issue. The next time a different tech same dealer sad it needed all eight fuel injectors.
Any thoughts would be great. Thanks.
By the way Merry Christmas!

#5 ·
If the injector has been changed, and the problem is still present, i would think its something eletrical. As you increase engine rpm's the miss or stumble would become less noticeable. Any smoke or power differences? Or just the surging you were talking about?

But like Iceman said to torque converter shudder would do the same thing also

#6 ·
Nope not on my 6.0, it miss stumble shaked all to hell the more throttle I gave it. Believe me I know I delt with it since July as most already know here. Come to find it it wasnt. My lpop gears were eating the front cover which then got into my oil traveled up into the filter passed the filter thru my valley then thru the HPOP, thru the oil rails and into my injectors, every injector I pulled out was clogged by something in the spool valve each time it was a piece of aluminum. But thats worst case and what happen to me.

I doubt the Torque Convertor would throw a cylinder contrubition code, it comes does to that cylinder, injector, eletrical, mechanical at least you narrowed it down. #5 is also the 2nd cylinder back on the passenger side if you decided to take it out on your own its pretty easy I can do it in about an hr or less.

#7 ·
No smoke. I thought the elecrical might be the issue but while the engine is running I can move, bend, and pull the injector harness and no change. The FICM has also been change for this issue.

Wouldn't #5 be the third one back on the passenger side?

I don't think the torque converter is the issue. I guess you could call it a jerking condition also. You can defenetly tell there is a dead or very week hole when in over drive.

#9 ·
Got the truck back today. I tried a different shop. The truck runs great. They had it for awhile. The owner said it stumped them at first. But there was no dignos fee just parts and labor to do the job. He said he had never see it before but the cam lobe on for the exhaust for cylinder #5 was almost gone.
But anywho. See runs like a brand new truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.