Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

p2285 ???

54K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  kh_strokin07 
#1 ·
my truck has been throwing fits the past two days and this morning it started up just fine idled good until i put into drive and it reved up then just died on me.... it took five or six long cranks to get it started and it did it again this evening after work.... and had no power at all,, it idled really rough and cut off going down the road and the code it threw was p2285 said injector control sensor ck t low.... does that mean the icp sensor is bad or something else cause i replaced that sensor about a year ago

#4 ·
that either a circuit problem, or that there actually is a ICP issue, usually its a P2284.... Bad Hpop is lasy starts, hard time starting hot, occassionally dies, etc

Have you had your STC fitting updated yet?

#6 ·
tonight started right off... it has no starting problem. but it tried dying on me and has hardly any pedal, no power at all and something new popped up when it was cutting out my glowplug light and my cruise control light was flickering...

#15 ·
I'm still throwing the same code(p2285) after I replaced my icp sensor and the harness... the thing still idles real rough and choppy, and it has no power... it starts OK for now but this has me so confused.... any idea on what is wrong...

#17 ·
From a well respected Tech (on another forum):

Q1 PRELIMINARY DIAGNOSIS
Perform a visual inspection.
Connect the scan tool.
Retrieve and record all DTCs.
Record freeze frame data.
Clear all DTCs.
Perform the Key On Engine Off Self-Test.
Are any DTCs retrieved?
Yes
For DTC P2285, GO to Q2 .

For DTC P2286, GO to Q6 .

For DTC P2287 only, GO to Q13 . No---GO to Q12 .

Q2 DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) P2285
Note: DTC P2285 indicates the injector control signal circuit out of range low was detected during the KOEO Self-Test or during continuous diagnostic monitoring.

Possible causes:
ICP signal circuit open
ICP disconnected
ICP signal circuit shorted to ground
VREF circuit open
biased ICP sensor
ICP sensor
PCM
Key off.
Disconnect the ICP sensor.
Key on.
Measure the voltage between the ICP sensor VREF circuit pin B, harness side and ground.
Is the voltage between 4.5 and 5.5 volts?
Yes
GO to Q3 . No---GO to Q10 .

Q3 CHECK THE SIGNAL CIRCUIT FOR A SHORT TO GROUND
Key off.
Disconnect the PCM.
Measure the resistance between ICP sensor signal circuit pin C, harness side and ground.
Is the resistance greater than 10,000 ohms?
Yes
GO to Q4 . No---REPAIR the circuit.

Q4 CHECK THE SIGNAL CIRCUIT FOR AN OPEN
Measure the resistance between the ICP sensor signal circuit pin C, harness side and the PCM engine connector pin 29, harness side.
Is the resistance less than 5 ohms?
Yes
GO to Q5 . No---REPAIR the circuit.

Q5 CHECK THE ICP SENSOR
Note: This step may set DTC P2286.

Reconnect the PCM.
Key on, engine off.
Access the ICP PID.
Connect a 5A fused jumper between the ICP sensor signal circuit pin C, harness side and the ICP sensor VREF circuit pin B, harness side.
Is the ICP PID voltage reading approximately 4.0 to 5.5 volts?
Yes
INSTALL a new ICP sensor. No---INSTALL a new PCM.

Q6 DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) P2286
Possible causes:
signal circuit shorted to power
SIGRTN circuit open
PCM
ICP sensor
Disconnect the ICP sensor to induce the opposite DTC.
Perform the Key On Engine Off self-test.
Is DTC P2285 present?
Yes
INSTALL a new ICP sensor. No---GO to Q7 .

Q7 CHECK THE ICP SENSOR SIGNAL FOR A SHORT TO VOLTAGE
Key off.
Disconnect the PCM.
Key on, engine off.
Measure the voltage between the ICP sensor signal circuit pin C, harness side and ground.
Is any voltage indicated?
Yes
REPAIR the circuit. No---GO to Q8 .

Q8 CHECK THE ICP SIGRTN CIRCUIT FOR AN OPEN
Key off.
Measure the resistance between the ICP sensor SIGRTN circuit pin A, harness side and the PCM engine connector pin 25, harness side.
Is the resistance less than 5 ohms?
Yes
INSTALL a new PCM. No---REPAIR the circuit.

Q10 CHECK THE VREF CIRCUIT FOR AN OPEN
Key off.
Disconnect the PCM.
Measure the resistance between the ICP sensor VREF circuit pin B, harness side and the PCM engine connector pin 36, harness side.
Is resistance less than 5 ohms?
Yes
GO to Q11 . No---REPAIR the circuit.

Q11 CHECK THE VREF CIRCUIT FOR A SHORT TO GROUND
Measure the resistance between the ICP sensor VREF circuit pin B, harness side and ground.
Is resistance greater than 10, 000 ohms?
Yes
INSTALL a new PCM. No---REPAIR the circuit.

Q12 ICP SENSOR BIAS CHECK
Note: Verify engine oil temperature (EOT) is greater than 82°C (180°F).

Key on, engine off.
Access the ICP PID.
Is the ICP PID voltage between 0.18 and 0.24 volts (Early Build) or 0.15 and 0.35 (Late Build)?
Yes
REFER to Section 3 if a driveability concern exists. No--- INSTALL a new ICP sensor.

Q13 ICP SENSOR INTERMITTENT CHECK
Visually inspect the ICP sensor harness and connector for damage, corrosion, or incorrect routing.
Access the ICP PID.
While monitoring the ICP PID, wiggle, shake, and bend small sections of the wiring harness while working from the sensor to the PCM.
Is there any change in the ICP PID value, or is a concern present?
Yes
REPAIR as necessary. No--- The system is operating correctly at this time. The concern may have been caused by a loose or corroded connector.

#18 ·
oh and another thing... the sensor plug right above the icp plug is the ipr right? well both the wires to the ipr was bare... could the ipr have shorted out Cuz the wires have touched.. wat are the signs of a bad ipr?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.