Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

v10 to powerstroke?

12K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  TARM 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 Excursion with a v10. if i can find a cheap donor truck i wanna put a 7.3 in it. my question is what all is there that i would need to swap over? and how hard is it to do the conversion?

#2 ·
why not go to a cummins it may actually be easier, you already have the throttle linkage. To do a powerstroke you need the throttle pedal assembly, intercooler, entire engine with cpu, accessories and mounts. Not sure about the drivetrain. Heres a link for what you need for a cummins swap it kinda od also explains the differences between the v10 and psd in doing a swap

FordCummins.com: '99+ Ford SuperDuty Overview

#7 ·
As much as the CR are cool and can produce power and what not they also represent the biggest PITA. Like other CR all the parts are $$$$$$. But for drivabilty with big power they sure are hard to beat.

#8 ·
You have to understand that I'm a little biased... I sold an 04 quad cab Ram/Cummins/handshaker to buy my current X... And regretted it ever since! :D

The Dodge was by far the most trouble free vehicle I've ever owned. Had it mildly tuned up with an Edge box and was totally happy, got 18+ mpg most of the time, 13+ towing, never a worry, plenty of power. Unfortunately 3 growing kids didn't fit all that well in the smallish back seat, hence the X. First big trip with the X and the thing blew an EGR cooler, leaving us stranded 100 miles from home with boat in tow. Several EGR & oil coolers later, couple sets of head gaskets, cracked heads, rear end, blah blah 6.doh blah and I have a bad taste in my mouth and wallet for Powerstrokes in general! Hindsight is 20/20 of course but if starting over a Fummins X sounds pretty good!

;)

#9 ·
I have a 2000 Excursion with a v10. if i can find a cheap donor truck i wanna put a 7.3 in it. my question is what all is there that i would need to swap over? and how hard is it to do the conversion?
That is the most important part of the swap right there. Honestly though if I was to swap it would be a cummins. I love my 7.3 but a Cummins is hard to beat. If you are wanting to swap in a 7.3, the donor truck is the way to go. Any and every part you will need is already there.

#11 ·
How much do you estimate or know you spent to do the conversion you currently have. Total cost?

I have to admit I love polishing a turd for the accomplishment but if it ever blew I know a 12v or if I could swing it a CR would be in there for sure. If I already had a built 4r like a BTS I would stay with it but if not I would go to an allison and have it built up. The hard parts in an allison make the 4r look like a toy from the pics I have seen. Not to mention having the extra gears. We all know on the street you really really really need a gear between 3 and OD. That or add one of those OD units and go to a psc trans controller. Then you have`all the gears you will ever need.

#13 ·
That is about what I was thinking.

The wiring of the CR is what I think I would find a bit daunting and possibly look to become overwhelming.

Now this price gets you a basic 5.9CR install with tranny and pcm controllers. So a stock engine. Correct?

You need to still add turbos injectors etc but at least possible turbos off the powerstroke depending what they are could be used. T4 T4i turbos Fuel system can be reused but pump would be as a lift pump.

If I went thru what you did I am certain there would be a 5.9 in my engine bay as well. Who knows maybe one day.

I guess considering that to get to 500 HP with a Powerstroke you are looking at $10K doing all the work yourself as well.

Did you ever do a writeup of your conversion in the conversion section?

Might be a good area for the op to go looking as well.

#15 ·
Thanks for that.

Always like to keep my options open.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.