Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

6.0 wont start when warm

72K views 38 replies 22 participants last post by  Big Earl 
#1 ·
a cpl weeks ago when i showed up on the job(50 miles from shop)i shut my truck(06 f250 6.0) off and was checking out the site.i went to move my truck and all it would do is turn over,no start. i grabbed my tools and started working. at lunch i tried again and it started. it has been doing this since. when i drive it long enough to get it warm and then shut it off it wont start for at about an hour.any ideas until income tax gets here and i can take it to the shop?. thanks

#3 ·
Easy to diagnose and easy to fix. If you do it yourself it is about a $20 part. Take you about 1 hour to fix maybe 2 since it is your first time.

#7 ·
please elaborate, my friend is having the same problem with his 06

#4 ·
Do you know if your truck has the updated STC fitting? If not then most likely that is the problem however an air leak test should be done just to be sure. Although your not going to to be replacing that in 2 hours as stated above.

#8 ·
I know that you have fixed a lot of trucks with these similar starting issues. How many of those stc fitting have been the actual problem?

#13 ·
so if its not the STC as you stated, then what is it. I'm having the same issue and cold it will start. once warm it will crank and crank, no oil pressure on the guage and no start.. Let it sit and cool down and the oil pressure comes up and it starts..Also can you elaborate on the air test as to how and where to do it? I would appreciate it or where I can find a link to show me where & how..Thanks

#14 ·
well what is $20 fix am having same problem with 1 06 have replaced hpop and regulator ficum a while back 138000 miles bought used so dont have history runs rough for couple of mins then smooth crank sensor went last week went ahead and put in cam sensor while doing crank 1 spins like new money just wont hit when hot manual oil guage on hp says only 300#

#16 ·
Same here. Mine would also do it when I was driving at random intervals. It happened to me twice coming home from work.... Scary moments I tell ya, icp sensor was the fix for me.

#19 ·
I've noticed this on a truck recently, what I have found now this is on an 04 truck, older pump style but has the bigger rails. After chasing tail for a while, we found the orings that are above the spool valves where the rail goes into the injector we found orings in that location messed up.

#20 ·
Update to my situation... computer said it had a defective IPR.. Replaced it..found minor specs of metal on the screen.. changed the oil & filter.. removed the pressure regulator on the LPOP and checked - OK.. Cranked well.. oil pressure on guage in dash came up after a minute of cranking and still no start - cold - gave it alittle squirt of go juice and it cranked and then after another few minutes of cranking , started up ran fine..all values appeared to be within spec on the computer. Ran it around for an hour or so..ran well.. Parked it outside shut it off.. let it sit for approx a minute and would not start again!.. short of pulling it apart... any suggestions???

#21 ·
did you try unplugging the ICP and see if it starts? if so... change the ICP and pigtail....

#23 ·
update - after doing the air test..found several orings bad..injector top seals, stand pipe orings, etc and still no run.. decided, since it was the only thing I havent touched, to replace to HPOP.. Pulled it all apart and found the oring on the top of the pump where the discharge tube attaches was torn damn near in half.. replaced it and since I had the pump, put it in anyway..reassembled and it starts fine.. feel kinda stupid at this point, but lesson learned.. Do the tests.. I know more now than I want to about these beasts..:)

#25 ·
I am having the same problems with my 07. So far I have had the shop replace o-rings (found with leak test), fuel filters, oil change with a new filter. High pressure oil pump. I bought this truck used in Dec. with 42,850 miles on it. A week after owning it the service engine light came on. The dealership looked at it for me since I had only owned it for one week. They said the trubo had to be rebuilt and they replaced the head gaskets. After a week of it being in the shop I got it back. It drove great. Then the muffler rested apart from the rear part of the tail pipe. While I had it at the exhaust shop the truck would not start after the finished their work. I had it towed to a local auto shop and had all the work I listed above done. It still will not start after it is warmed up.

#27 ·
I'm having this issue also with my 05,when it gets around 180 its pot luck if this thing will start although it has never left me stranded, normally fires after 4-5 trys but annoying none the less. I'm thinking dummy plugs on mine as they have never been changed, ive got the stc,new stand pipes,injectors, ficm reading good, no codes. If it is the icp should it start when unplugged???

#29 ·
Hi, I have an 05 that wont start warm/hot it fires up fine cold runs great hot or cold it can be started with starting fluid when hot. Its has the updated STC fitting, new dummy plugs, stand up pipes, IPR valve egr delete(delete was done about a year ago) also new o rings in injectors. doesn't throw any codes did take it to the ford shop they put it on the computer only getting 380 psi when hot they said the dummy plugs were bad after putting new ones in no difference any ideas thanks

#36 ·
Update on my ford. After replacing the oil cooler and oil pump o rings that wasn't bad redid a air test with the valve cover off had 3 bad orings on the left side. Also the fuel rail is leaking. Thank you ford dealership for telling me the leak was on the right side of the truck. A lot of time wasted looking on the wrong side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.