Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Burning smell when applying brakes

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  The_Badge 
#1 ·
When i have to come to a quick stop or just apply quickly then release there is rubbery burning smell coming from one tire but no specific one its a different tire each time.. from what i read is that the brakes arent applying equally and making one stick or lock up, which im not getting the same shaking or disrupted steering as others are, but they have differnt vehicals or year models! The smell wont last long just enough time for me to jump out of truck to smell it fade away! My Pads are original w/ 68k miles and have plenty of pad left, could they just be glazed over or warn out and thats causing it?? Any and all help and input will be greatly appreciated! Thanks:eek:

Truck is 2008 F250 6.4

#2 ·
Its funny you write this!!! I am NEW to Ford Super Duty ownership and I purchased my truck last year (2008 6.4 CC short bed F-350). I had 45K miles on it when I purchased it and the dealer pre-inspected it and said it was good to go.

I was driving the truck around and keeps smelling brakes, went back to the dealer and they said it was NEW pads that smelled like that... they were breaking in. It sounded fishy and i was suspect. I then drove one day to the point the front brakes seized up. The truck wouldn't move and it was billowing white smoke from the front end. I had AAA tow it to a Diesel Mechanic who determined i needed NEW rotors, pads, calipers and brake lines. This mechanic didn't lie to me, he showed me OBVIOUS damage to the system and stated the calipered were seized in the lock position. needless to say I have now spent $2,000 on all front and rear brake systems and the truck drives like a new ride and I haven't had an issue since. I also notice that I NEVER have any brake dust on the 20" rims when they used to be covered in red dust after 20 miles of driving and i was told thats how Super Duty's are from the selling dealership.

I would go to a reputable mechanic for Diesel's and get them to look at it. It can save you $2,000K before you need to spend it.

P.S. The dealer was CarMax!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.