Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

How many quarts of oil 6.0?

218K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Turd-250 
#1 ·
Iam new to the truck and doing the first oil change I have a 2005 6.0 and was wondering how many quarts of engine oil it takes?thanks!

#3 ·
As stated 15qts get a 5w40 Syn oil and use Ford or Racor filters only you can get them at Walmart FL-2016 and Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 Full Synthetic or Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 is a fully synthetic your injectors will like it will cut down on stiction and cokeing a big problem with the 6.0 and the max is 5000 miles because of the shear of the oil by the injectors.
2 stroker

#11 ·
royal purple 15w-40 full synthetic,i know there are many diffrent types of brands and every one has there own opinion but i just wanted to try rp out for my first change and go from there,thanks for any info tho and advice for the next change. i put three of the 5 quart containers and 1 single quart,so maybe the 5 quart containers werent a true 5 quarts im not sure but they seemed to be filled all the way full.

#12 ·
FYI it should be (approx) 15quarts during a normal service guys. Also, a reason you guys mite be putting in less is the fact that: When you remove the drain plug, you also need to remove the Oil filter.... Otherwise, the oil filter housing will not drain unless the filter is removed. If you are putting the plug back in and then proceeding to change oil filter, the oil from the 'filter' housing will THEN drain back into the pan, and you will not require as much oil on a refill...... This is due to a drain back valve in the filter housing. Doesnt allow oil to drain back unless filter is removed.

#18 ·
Again - this is an age old question and discussed by many, many competent folks that know exactly how to change the oil. The variability is real and NOT related to "a simple technique issue" - period.

The only concrete thing about this ridiculous debate is that you shouldn't fill it past the full mark - fuel dilution is a real possibility and you need to have a way of detecting it.

#14 ·
FYI I took the Filter out then the plug let it drain untill there was no more oil at all coming out of it.and then when I filled it back up I put 14 1/2 quarts in started it let the pressure get up,then turned the engine off checked it and ended up adding another quart and a half to get the level in the middle of the dip stick so it took 16 quarts and not 15.before I added that last quart and a half I was worried about overfill so I called the FORD dealer ship and talked to a tech and he also said he get any where from 15 to 16.1/4 quarts in the 6.0.now I don't know exactly why other people have different amounts when they do there's but I know how many quarts I put in my engine

#15 ·
That is rather odd and im not saying you are wrong....... My last job, i worked for an electric utility, we serviced approximately 50-60 F550s with the 6.0L and they all usually took the 15quarts during a normal service. We also carried oil in bulk and had air operated pumps that pushed the bulk oil through an electric counter, that showed how much oil we were putting in....We would program it for 15quarts, and it always seemed to be rite on..... Just my 2cents.......

#17 ·
My first F350 was a 2004, setup similar to my 06 in the signature, except it was a long bed. I could always do an oil service on it with 15 quarts measuring at the top of the fill line on the dipstick. This was using the procedure to remove the oil filter & cap, then draining the oil completely. I sold it in 2009. When I did an oil service on my current truck after purchase in Sep 2011, I went ahead and filled it with 15 quarts. I then noticed after driving it the following week and checking the oil while warm and cold, it was over the fill mark. I drained almost a a quart and half out. Since my last oil change and adding Archoil's 9100 (8 ounces), I just placed 14 quarts if that and it is above the midway point of the fill line.

Just my .02 cents of experience with an 04 and 06 build.

Will

#20 ·
Re: oil filter

Can I get an oil filter for my 2006 diesel f-350 at Wal-Mart? What is the number?
Thanks
MotorCraft part# for all 6.0 powerstrokes is FL-2016.
and i bet Walmart carries it. i usually get them online when i see a sale tho. saves a couple bucks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.