Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

DMI bumper

23K views 36 replies 8 participants last post by  Speedy 
#1 ·
Have been informed by a few friends that I should get one for my truck since my bumper is the oh so awesome XL painted and its chipping and rusting away. I dont know anything about the DMI bumpers though. Just that they are big and bulkey as hell. Mostly only seen them on farm trucks though. Any input about them? Like what is so different compared to a regular bumper from factory. Thanks!

#2 ·
They have shock absorbtion built into the hitch. They are nice for pulling anhydrus tanks, grain trailers, or other misc. farm trailers that jerk back and forth a bunch. As far as using them for a regular old car trailer or something you probably won't see much difference.

My dad used to have a truck with one but now we just use a reciever with a polyurethane cushion in it when pulling the jerky farm trailers. It doesn't work quite as well but it does a good enough job that we won't ever put a DMI bumper on again. Here's a link http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0010057520121a.shtml

#4 ·
Are you planning to start pulling farm equipment Ryan?

If not, check out JCWhitney or something for a cheap chrome bumper. If i were you, i'd get me some sand paper and a rattle can. sand that bumper up really good and paint it with some good ol rustoleum, color of your choice.

#7 ·
we have run the DMI bumpers on several trucks and they are very nice but also kind of expensive especially if you get a chrome one. I have afriend that is running a DMI knock off called a "Brute II" ( I Think ) it is almost as good as the DMI's at half the price.

#11 ·
hum maybe there not half price of a DMI after all. thats just what I was told when he got it. maybe it was damaged or something. But then again I havent priced a DMI either.

#14 ·
you need one like I have then. I'll see if I can find a link for one tonight. I think they are in the 300 to 400 range
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire

#18 ·
since you aren't towing anything very heavy, you could make up some steel spacers and some longer bolts and lower the hitch a couple of inches, or get a bumper that doesn't drop as far as that one does. I think they have like 8", 10" and 12" drop bumpers in that style.

#23 ·
I don't think this is the one I'm running but its just like it http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/subpages/JandJ_Drop_Bumpers.htm also search craigs list and ebay for a drop bumpers you may be able to find a good deal on one there.

Thanks for the complements on the truck, but its just an old farm truck I just know what angle to take pictures to hide all the dings and scratches;) But I like it just like it is. I don't have to worry about it as much that way. I put a nice new scrach in the tail gate at a sled pull this week end. i started off in to high of a gear and I got it sut down before 100ft make, but I guess I was moveing faster than I thought because the sled slamed in to me so hard I almost hit my head on the steering wheel:eek:

As for the tail gate I'm not sure if it is origional or not, the truck was white when I bought it and I repainted it red. as I sanded it down I found about 4 different colors of old paint and some sever hail damage on the roof so evidently most of the body has been replaced at some time in its life:doh:

#29 ·
yea I'm not big on the lights either, but they do offer them with out them.

I have a regular reese hitch on mine so I am still pulling off the frame not the bumper. I don't know it it was special or not it was on it when I bought the truck.

#30 ·
It says "Heavy Duty reese hitch optional" Well that sucker is getting left off if my measurements are correct. Which I'm sure they arent. Measure 4 times, cut once and still screw it up.:doh:

Anyways. The stock bumper is an 8" drop. Well between my bumper and drop hitch there is about 2 1/4". I figure if I got the 10" bumper that would still leave that 1/4" between the bumper and hitch.

Pontiac is yours a 10" since your using the stock reese hitch or do you know?

#31 ·
mesuring from the top to botom it is 10in. so I'd say thats what it is unless they mesure them different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.