Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

6.0 Not starting

6K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  ben97 
#1 ·
Hey all I've got a late 2004 6.0 that will not start... The guy drove it, shut it off then it would not start back up... good ficm, new icp, good low pressure oil, new batteries a month ago and no raw smoke... any ideas where I should start? I just did a EGR delete and new oil cooler a month ago and it's been running great up until today.

#2 ·
Have you tried unplugging the icp, that will put pcm in default for 30 seconds

FICM 48v always while cranking +or-

icp during crank?

ipr during crank?

#3 ·
What do you have for fuel pressure? codes? what is your ICP?

#4 ·
Im not sure havent had a chance to check all of that stuff... The truck threw an ipr code and all eight injector circuit low code and also a ficm circuit low code....I put the ficm out of my 6.0 in it and it cleared all codes but still wouldnt start... His ficm started my truck just fine... im srarting to wonder if it is a short but where would i start?

#5 ·
Try unplugging the ICP and see if it starts. Also when you unplug it look at the pigtail for oil. If the ICP is leaking oil odds are it's shot.

Sounds to me like the ficm is bad being all the injector codes cleared for the injectors after switching out.
Also the ICP can kick out some low circuit IPR/ICP codes if it's bad.

Try unplugging it and try to start..........

#6 ·
Ok will do tomorrow... I installed his Ficm into my 6.0 and my truck fired right up. im ruling out the ficm for now but when i put his ficm back into his truck all eight injector codes came back.. im starting to think its the ipr or even the hpop. Is there a way to test the ipr?

#8 ·
I'm sure there is, it's a variable resistance pressure sensor that the pcm uses to open and close the ipr valve to keep injector pressure where it needs to be throughout the rpm range. How to test it I don't know lol:(but if you have oil in the pigtail plug odds are the high pressure is blowing through it and once the oil gets in the sensor it looses it's ability to adjust resistance because oil has continuity and it becomes a closed circuit. more or less.
See what unplugging the ICP does for starting, unplugging it will put pcm into a 30 second default on the ipr.
Your IPR % will tell you if you have a standpipe/STC problem (leak) or a hpop issue.
Gotta get sleep, working thing really wrecking my life. LOL

#9 ·
Ok ill be sure to try that tonight...Im also wondering if maybe my 2005 FICM is not compatible with his 2004 even though his worked in my truck? Funny how my ficm cleared every single code in his truck but would not start. But then when his ficm is installed back into his truck all the codes of a bad ficm come back. I hate to just start replacing parts

#10 ·
The ficm,s will work, there are different flashes more than likely.

Not sure why one would throw cels unless the pcm in your newer truck has a different pcm strategy and sees more points? Are you showing sync/12v power/48.5v logic with a scanner ??

Do year hear the injector buzz and fuel pumps come up on pressure ?

#11 ·
I havent tested his yet.. I tested my own ficm on his truck and everything tested good. Ill probably run the tests on his tonight. Its got 140,000 hard ranch miles on it and just finally the egr went out other than that the only problem this truck has had was the FICM, it was replaced in 07. Ill unplug the icp tonight if that doesnt work i guess ill pull the ipr and go from there. its got to be something easy. Oh and yes the fuel pump is working just fine and yes the buzz noise is there too. I dont have a fancy scanner just a flashpaq.. I may just tell him i cant fix it

#13 ·
It was the IPR...the screen was broken clean off and completely full of junk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.