Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

herculiner the entire truck??

26K views 72 replies 24 participants last post by  FordXtreme 
#1 ·
i have a 96 dually ext cab 4x4 auto that has some cab damage and a handful of scratches... i do not think it is work spending the money on a nice paint job....so why not bed line the entire thing?? i know it would fade eventually...but it would help with protecting from rust and also scratches.

let me know what you think.... I'm thinking pretty hard about this one.

Calvin

#4 ·
Haha, Im definately NOT a fan, but there are people who have done it. Take a look at this thread
F350 makeover - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
If you did, again i wouldnt advise it, I would have it done professionally or you may end up with a big mess on your hands. But hwatever floats your boat, I prefer nice two tones.
Krause

#5 ·
hmmm something to think about.... has anyone painted their truck with the kits they sell?? i dont want to have to pay a bunch of bones to get mine painted in the only thing.

Calvin

#7 ·
if you can do all the work yourself its really not that bad. im going to paint mine myself and my materials will be mostly just sand paper, primer and paint. its time consuming as all hell but its worth the effort

#8 ·
what paint are you going to use (brand name) ??
I havent done any major gun painting before but i have a buddy that has.

#9 ·
i am going to ford to get the paint from them. i am going with the factory obs metallic blue. i was going to go red but red is a hot color for cops around here and just dont care for the attention

#40 ·
i am going to ford to get the paint from them..
You are kidding, right?

Ford does NOT sell paint, unless you are taking about the 2oz touch up bottles.

you have to go to a PAINT store.

to the OP. if your roof is that F'd up, unless you put 1" of bedliner it will not cover it up. And i dont know why you car about the roof, who sees the roof?

And if you want a cheap paint job that would look 100 times better than bedliner go talk to MACCO. they will shoot your whole truck for under 500

#10 ·
the blue look awesome too.... yeah the cops are always wanting to stop and talk to everyone around here lol
especially the crowd with tall loud smokey trucks

#12 ·
yeah, im not going rediculous big with my truck. 4 inch lift so i can still use it for work and tow a gooseneck and its gonna be built but im going to try to keep smoke to a minimum. all that kinda stuff draws bad attention.

#13 ·
Im only going with the 2.5 lift... just for a beefy looking stance and a slight taller tire

Need my truck for work....plus i have friends for a reason lol use their trucks to have "fun" in...that way mine is safe and still in one piece.

And why does he think it encourages the rust??

Im not worried about rust around here anyway....not an issue

Calvin

#14 ·
And why does he think it encourages the rust??

Im not worried about rust around here anyway....not an issue

Calvin
The guy that sprayed it was talking about breathing. I guess at some minute molecular level paint breaths, the rubber in the liner restricts it.

Opinion, I don't know either way and wouldn't be afraid to try although... 10 years later the liner is the only thing holding the panels on.

#15 ·
hmmm...never thought about that.

maybe I will just pain instead and keep the liner in the bed

Calvin

#19 ·
If you did it right and sanded down the whole truck and lined each piece individually then it could possibly be good. If you just throw it on there it will look like crap and you will have probably ruined your truck.

#22 ·
:whs:

:whs:, Not sure i agree with Swamp-Ratt. Painting and/or undercoating is NOT easy at all. You have to put in extensive hours preping the truck for either one, and it's easy to get impatient and cut corners. Then to PROPERLY lay down undercoating you need the proper spaying equipment and experience, or you will end up with a DISASTER on you hands. With paint, you need nice guns, a slick compressor, a dewatering system after the compressor, proper climate, and EXPERIENCE or else youll end up with a terrible, orange peel, good from far but FAR from good, paint job. If you want a nice rig, get it done well by someone who knows what they are doing, unless you paint vehicles for living. Just my .02
Krause

#25 ·
Wouldn't do the Herc. It fades after a while.
If you've got a couple weekends, and $100+/- you can make your truck look pretty good with minimal effort:
moparts: paint job on a budget!?

That is a long-ass thread. Take a weekend and check it out. All the info is there.

All these cars/trucks were painted in the same fashion:

My favorite.

I used the same technique to paint my beater bronco as well about 5 years ago:

Minus some dust, the paint still looks the same as it did the weekend I applied it.

Mine isnt a great example of how good things can look. I didn't sand very much, nor did I do the final wet sand / buff. I had beer that wasn't gonna drink itself, so I had more important things to worry about.

If you want to do something on the cheap, I'd do this a 100 times over before I herculined the exterior of ANY vehicle.

Just something to think about....

#26 ·
I Reflex-lined the entire tub on my CJ7 and I love it. I beat the $h!t out of it and it still looks good! Best part about the liner is if you go to walmart and buy the .90 cans of spray paint you can spray it for touch-ups. Blends right in! Just my .02, however I doubt the next owner will appreciate having to remove it all to re-paint it LOL

#28 ·
not only would it fade out. but it would weigh a lot. i know someone who did it to a small car and it added almost 800 lbs

#42 ·
No it didn't. That is a complete lie.

The shipping weight for 1 gallon(which will cover a 6' bed)is 10.6 lbs. The kit comes with brushes/rollers and I think some green scrubbies IIRC. If you take that out of the equation lets say it weighs 10 lbs to make it easy.

-1 gallon has 60 sq/ft of coverage or 2 coats for a 6' bed.

-I used close to 2 gallons to do the entire interior of my bronco(with the exception of my under headliner and behind the dash). So lets say that was 120 sq/ft(it wasn't, but let's keep things easy).

-I would guesstimate that it would take 3(maybe 4 to be on the safe side)gallons to do the exterior of a cc/lb truck. Lets even go as high as 5(remember that it's got 60 sq/ft of coverage).

-That means that your friend has a small car that is roughly 4800 sq/feet(2400 if they were to do 2 coats)or that if the car took somewhere in the neighborhood of 2.5 gallons for 2 full coats that he/she repeated those 2 full coats per 2.5 gallons a total of 32 times.

#30 ·
yeah...800 lbs??? he must have sprayed 130 coats then and the truck was as wide as a building...lol

Calvin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.