Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

early 99- late 99

14K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  tank 
#1 ·
i got a buddy thats lookin into buyin a powerstroke and he is lookin at an early 99. i know there are some differences but not sure what they are just wonderin if yall could help me and him out a little bit? thanks:ford:

#2 ·
Tell him to look for a late.

Turbo and injectors are smaller and the spider is smaller.

IMO they are harder to upgrade. Also the PCM is different and you cant get as much out of the tuning for them unless you change it.

#3 ·
thanks alot for the help

#4 ·
so would the early 99 be more comparible to the 1st gen powerstroke

#5 ·
The turbo is basically the same size. The injectors are smaller, but still are split shots. The early 99 also has an electric fuel pump, the obs has a manual one. The sensors and electricals are the same as the late 99.

#7 ·
thanks for all the help guys he ahs his heart set on buyin this truck and i cant really say much cuz at least i got him top buy a ford

#8 ·
I wouldn't hesitate to buy an e99. The injectors are only 10cc smaller and the turbo is basicaly the same too. There is only like a 15 hp differance between them from what i've read. Plus your guaranteed to have forged rods istead of pmr's. The newer computer/pcm you can get used for a $100 or less shipped.

#9 ·
191,000 miles on my early 99 and it runs like a champ! Good solid truck.

#10 ·
198000 Miles, and I havent had any issues with my Early 99. Early or Late the 7.3 is an awesome engine i havent experienced anywhere near the amount of issues with it as some of my buddies have with their 6.0's

#13 ·
I love my early 99. I like the stealth Powerstroke badge on the fender. Actually had a guy run up to me when I was filling up. Thought I was putting diesel in a gasser.

#15 ·
haha ya my buddy said he didnt want those badges cuz people would think it was a gasser and i said good let em think that when ya blow past em too

#19 ·
Get a DPtuner instead. Jody has my early 99 running really well. The no start and decell tunes are great. Just my $.02

#20 ·
Here are most of the differences.

Early 99 has a wicked wheel in it from the factory. And much smaller turbo (spools faster, though)

The early99 has 120cc(AB code) injectors and the late99-03 has 140cc(AD code) injectors.

The early99 has 2" intake plenums. The late99-03 has 3" intake plenums.

The early99 has a 15* swash plate HPOP. The late99-03 has a 17* swash plate HPOP.

The early99 has one glow plug relay. The late99-03 has one glow plug relay and one air intake heater relay side by side (along with early '99 CA models) . Both relays are on the passenger side of the fuel bowl toward the front of the truck.

The early99 has a totally different air intake that is not inter changeable with the late99-03 (except for DRW trucks) . But you can put the late99 air cleaner assembly in the early99 truck. The only three afterarket air filters that work on the early99 are the AFE stage 2, the AIS and the KWIKK 6637.

The early99 track rod has smaller mounting bolts than the late99-03. (except for DRW trucks)

The early99 has shallower rotors than the late99-03. (except DRW trucks)

The early99 has shorter hub-bearings than the late99-03. (except DRW trucks)

The early99 front axle U bolts are square where they go over the spring pack. The late99 U bolts are round. (except DRW trucks)

The early99 has a different pitman arm than the late99-03. (except DRW trucks)

The early99 does not have the AIH like the late99-03. (except CA model)

The early99 does not have the automatic transmission fluid cooler in the radiator.

The early99 has no indicator light showing that "cruise" is on. Late99-03 has a cruise light that will come on when you set the cruise control. The early99 has the light in the dash already. A newer PCM(Yes it will plug in and will run better too) must be used to make the cruise light illuminate. It is a green light on the right side edge, half way up.

#21 ·
I'm running a PMT1 PCM in my early 99. I sent it to DP for a reflash with an
80HP tow program. It works very well, and the cruise light does illuminate now. It does throw a code on AE because there is no AIH and the PCM is looking for it.
At some point, probably in the next year, I am going to upgrade with later model induction stuff, bigger injectors, and better HPOP. For now this truck does everything I expect it to do. Probably the best truck I have ever owned and it's 10 YEARS OLD!

#22 ·
I am also running a PMT1. I like it, truck runs lots better than it did with the XLE4, even better with Tony's tunes on it. Still no cruise light though.

#23 ·
What size are the e99 spyders? I need the measurment of the 2 spyder outlets that go into the plenums. I have a e99 spyder on my OBS and I think DPP sent the wrog boots for the spyder-plenum but I cant measure because my truck is at home and Im at college. I know the OBS plenums are 2" but not the spyder measurment.

#24 ·
2 3/8" od

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.