Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Do you have difficulty steering while stopped with NO brakes applied?

• Yes

Votes: 17 31.5%
  • No

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • somewhat

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • what are you talking about ?

Votes: 2 3.7%

Why can't I steer my truck?!

53K views 70 replies 37 participants last post by  Carver94F350 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
I know that the steering in our trucks is not a new issue (steering and braking simultaneously at low speeds), but I can't believe that there is not a viable solution to the poorly engineered steering/hydra boost operation that plagues us!!!

My truck- 02 F250 7.3 (see sig) w/215K well maintained miles, all normal maintenence, no major problems, I've had my truck since new, I love and adore my truck.:bow:

My problem- truck does not steer at all while stopped with or without applying brakes or e-brake. No power steering at all while stopped, period. I have to be rolling either direction at ~3+ mph to be able to turn the wheel at all. :mad:

My problem with this problem- This may not seem like a big deal to some people, especially those that learned to drive vehicles "back in the day," when power assisted steering was not commonplace.

I have heard folks say "it is was it is, just deal with it", "that's normal", and "just don't expect steering while applying the brakes in these trucks." First, I don't accept a $40,000+ vehicle not steering easily like a Lincoln Town Car, and secondly, as I stated in the beginning of this post, I have NO STEERING at all even when the brakes are NOT being applied in any way what-so-ever.:(

I have had this problem since new, albeit, not as bad as it is now.
I noticed steering and brake whine back around 180K miles, replaced the steering pump and things were back to "normal." "Normal" was stiff steering while stopped, but I could, at least turn the wheel, with difficultly, while in parking lots with or without the brakes being applied. I just dealt with the not so great steering for the love of this truck in every other way.

I don't do heavy hauling or towing on a regular basis with this truck. I haul light bed loads of landscape/irrigation supplies occassionally in the summer, make a dozen tandem snowmachine trailer load trips per winter, and make 1-2family vacation trips of 1-2K miles per year.

I replaced all four ball joints with greaseable Moog's this Summer (~15K miles ago), have checked front u-joints, hubs, half shafts, axle seals, replaced front differential fluid, and checked and maintained all bushings/joints in steering linkage. Finally, I only have a single OEM steering stabilizer and I keep tires aired up religiously.

I have had factory 265's and replacement 285's up until 2K miles ago when I installed a 3" front/1.5" rear leveling kit with 315's on stock wheels.
Just recently, I have noticed difficult, then ultimately, no steering while stopped, even when reving the rpm's with no brakes applied.

So, I replaced the pump, checked/replaced low/high pressure hoses, checked out steering box and hydra boost unit. The steering box and hydra boost checked out fine, as did bearings in steering column/shaft. All were smooth/normal in operation throughout all diagnostic steps done by myself and Ford stealership independently. Flushed steering/hydra boost systems with Mobil 1 syn ATF, found no obstructions, no leaks, no whine or growl.:shrug:

BUT,..............STILL CANNOT STEER AT ALL WHILE COMPLETELY STOPPED WITH OR WITHOUT APPLYING BRAKES.:doh:

Sorry for the long post:blah:...but, I just want to know if someone out there has any ideas for why the steering is bad in the first place, and now is down right unacceptable in my truck. Should I just endure the expense of replacing the steering box/gears and hydra boost unit even though the gears are smooth with the front wheels off of the ground and the brakes are actually working great in my truck. And...don't forget that the stealership even says that the box and hydra boost are fine. They say to..."just live with it, it's normal to some degree.":confused:

I've read countless posts about AGR pumps, Saginaw type pumps, Redhead steering boxes, etc. But, is there any reliable, repeatable, known remedy for the steering problem that, seemingly, many folks are having in our trucks?:confused:

I know our diesels don't produce vacuum like gassers do, so how can we get more vacuum to properly operate the steering/hydra boost braking system in our trucks?!!!

I just can't accept "living with it.":mad:
I mean, really, I don't even trailer a lot...I can't see how others that hook up to a trailer for a living and recreation deal with the inferior low speed steering in our trucks.

What ideas and/or questions about this do you guys have...?
Thanks in advance!:D

See less See more
#32 ·
Wow! I relate 100% to what your saying. My truck is a 2000 4x4. I also cannot turn the wheels PERIOD without applying brakes while slow/stopped. I run 4" lift with 35's, but the tires make no difference...it wont turn stock rubber.

I had my truck down for several weeks, if not more than a month trying to solve this. I was at my wits end and said whatever it takes, make it happen! Well it didn't happen. Took the truck to local offroad/fab/rock crawler shop to solve the problems. After having tried 2 AGR Saginaw super PS pumps, BOTH of which sheared the damn shaft off the pump (thank God not while driving on the road!!), I was then sent to Tom at PSC (former owner of AGR) for help. We installed several new stock PS pumps, a new PSC ported steering box, new lines, a valve for the PS pump to increase line pressure, etc, all with no results.

My steering box is now ported for a ram assist, but after throwing countless $ and wasting tons of time, I finally was so frustrated I quit.

Bottom line, Tom said there was still a real chance that adding a ram may not solve the issue, as he said the problem lies in the restriction of the Hydroboost. Basically I would have to buy a ported hydroboost unit also....

Also, notice that you will NOT find any steering products on PSC's website for the 7.3! After dealing with my rig, Tom finally said the 7.3 steering is a royal PITA, and he doesn’t even want to deal with them!

So I suppose I could chance several more hundred dollars on a ram, only to find I need a several hundred dollar ported hydroboost unit.. :mad:

Please find me a solid solution :D

#33 ·
Thanks, 7.3 King Ranch, for you post.
Your experience is what I've been waiting to hear about. Sounds disappointing, to say the least. :(
I feel for you having to deal with all of that BS.
But, it does help me in my quest to understand this situation with the crappy steering system on our trucks.
My next step was going to be the AGR super Saginaw type pump or even the ported ideas, but those don't sound promising based on your unfortunate experiences.
I greatly appreciate your input!:D

#34 ·
Absolutely do not waste a dime on an AGR Saginaw pump. You have to cut/modify your PS bracket. The first pump leaked in the shop immediately after installing it..the second blew the shaft out of the pump in my driveway after installing it...fluid everywhere. PSC had offered an upgraded PS pump, but that is not the issue (per Tom). My stock pump with the special valve makes plenty of pressure...it’s the hydroboost apparently.

#35 ·
I replaced the hydroboost on my truck about a year and a half ago because it started self-applying the brakes. I went to Ford and bought a brand new OEM factory unit. I installed it and flushed the entire system with Mobil 1 synthetic ATF. I've had zero issues with the PS or brakes since then.

It seems from his posts that 7.3 KR has covered every possible cause except for the HB unit...??.....it's an expensive piece but if it fixes the problem....?

Also just from looking at the factory service manual regarding hard steering/no power assist, it suggests either the pump or internal leakage in the gear..?
I don't understand why it's such a mystery........Some steer fine while others don't......????

#37 ·
I vote for the hb. Also I think oem parts should work just fine. Just need to find the right guy to diagnos the thing.

#38 ·
Well, I'll price the HB unit to see how much that one will hurt$.
How difficult is it to remove the old and install the new? I've never tackled that one before. I just hate to pay someone labor $ unless I can't handle the job.

#39 ·
I had this same issue. I talked to a long time Ford mech that had also worked at the factory as well. He said the ford PS units were hit and miss. Some trucks were what way and new others started out Om and slowly got worse others had no issue thru the life of the truck. What it came down to was piss poor quality control. I bet if you do a poll you will alos find plenty will loose steering as well. While this can be temp remedied by tightening the adj allen head on the PS pump it still from a crappy quality of the pump. His suggestion to me and one that I have heard highly recommend by a number of people and not only for our trucks was to swap out the pump for a Redhead built pump They seem to have a great track record for top quality control: http://www.redheadsteeringgears.com/FAQ.html

#40 ·
I had this same issue. I talked to a long time Ford mech that had also worked at the factory as well. He said the ford PS units were hit and miss. Some trucks were what way and new others started out Om and slowly got worse others had no issue thru the life of the truck. What it came down to was piss poor quality control. I bet if you do a poll you will alos find plenty will loose steering as well. While this can be temp remedied by tightening the adj allen head on the PS pump it still from a crappy quality of the pump. His suggestion to me and one that I have heard highly recommend by a number of people and not only for our trucks was to swap out the pump for a Redhead built pump They seem to have a great track record for top quality control: http://www.redheadsteeringgears.com/FAQ.html
Piss-poor quality with American auto manufacturers........????? How could that be????? LOL LOL LOL LOL

#42 ·
Absolutely correct. :doh: I actually had a number of threads open on differnet sites and was going back and forth. That was meant for a thread about the steering gears. I really got my posts crossed up. Used pump instead of gears in that one. I need to seriously try sleeping more.

#43 ·
On mine the steering is about in the middle symptom wise. I can get it to steer back and forth at a stop (no brakes) but I have to work it back and forth to get it to do so easily. One way is alwasy easier than the other. It switches sides depending etc.. The readhead on my friends definitely tightened up the steering but this is a different issue and his alwasy turned easy so I have no idea whether it would address this issue or not. If/when I swap out the box I guess I will know.

#44 ·
I have the same problem in my 03. 35 x 13.5 tires don't help but I see what your saying. I'm so used to it I forget about it until I jump into the wifes truck.

#45 ·
I have the same problem but my 38/14.5/16LT's contribute to it alittle. I tightened up my steering by adjusting the alan screw on the top of my steering box and it got rid of the play in steering. Also, when I started up my truck I could steer properly and thought I solved the problem. I took it for a drive around the block and I could tell it was steering properly for the first 3 turns, after that the problem came back and I was disappointed.

I have read numerous posts with people saying "it is was it is, just deal with it", "that's normal" but I disagree, it definetly is not normal considering I got it to work properly for a little bit.

So guys, I'm new to this truck and don't know much about how the steering box and pump work. But if I was adjusting the steering box and I got it to work properly, is it safe to assume that it is my steering box that is causing the problem? or does adjusting the steering box somehow impact the power steering?

#46 ·
If the hydroboost unit is causing the possible pressure drop, how about putting a set of gauges on each side of the hydroboost unit to check for pressure drop.

Personally i'm not too familiar with the hydroboost unit itself would it be possible to do some diy porting?

Adjusting the screw on the top of the steering box just takes the slop out of the steering, bringing the screw and the worm closer together.

#47 ·
When I adjusted the screw on the steering box it did take the slop out of the steering (like as you stated) but I was also able to get my tires to turn left and right while stopped. I took it around the block and it steered properly for the first 3 turns. Is there any reason why it temporarily fixed my steering problem?

#48 ·
I have the same problem with my 01. its impossible to turn the wheel while its stopped. someone earlier said they found their problem to be the steering stabilizer. i've noticed mine has a slight bend to it but i haven't got around to changing it yet to see if that would help anything.

#49 ·
Anyone change their steering box to see if it fixes the problem?

#51 ·
I drove an 05 with this issue and found nothing to be wrong with it that would cause it , but its also runnin 35's i heard the same thing about it just being the hydroboost and that is just how they are which sucks because my OBS has 38's and i can turn lock to lock at a stand still but then again it has the vacuum pump. The one thing i did to help with the turning on the 05 was slightly hit the gas pedal or turn while its rolling, i know it doesnt fix the problem you are having but it might help to get you through til you figure it out. Good Luck man!

#52 ·
runnin 38's on my old 99 at 15.50 wide it was a one finger wonder before and after I installed that new gearbox due to breakage. Is it a different pump from 99 to 02

#53 ·
Another update. I changed the line from the hydro boost to the steering box and now when I am on my smooth concrete shop floor it will turn lock to lock no problem. But when I hit the road it turns a quoter turn then it is hard to turn. I am running 285 75 16 all terrain ta. I have new ball joints and tie rods. Also no steering stabilizer.The truck has never been like this before this just started. I will not settle for O well fords are like that! How do I tell my wife that drives it 90% of the time live with it? Please HELP :confused::confused::(

#54 ·
2005 f250 6.0 4x4 won't turn at stop, hard turn when idle rolling. 15K on Ford reman PS pump (no power change). Just flushed from hydroboost return using 4 quarts of Mobile 1 ATF still no go. Want to make sure that the full bolt on ORU ram assist kit will work or do I need to buy a stinking HB too??!! Is there a "performance" HB unit? I don't want another Ford OEM hydro-boofup if this is the "way" I should go 1st...

#56 ·
I just wound up putting a new ps pump and gearbox on my 08 for the same reason and now its smooth as could be

#57 ·
Re: Why can't I steer my truck?!
I just wound up putting a new ps pump and gearbox on my 08 for the same reason and now its smooth as could be
Thanks, I just started reading through some threads last night (new member) looking for the best route to go for some extra HP and i found this thread. I bought my 08 F250 6.4L brand new and thought from day one it should turn sitting still.(it didn't) Tech gave me the same ol' story....bigger tires makes it harder to turn (it sat on the showroom floor with a 6" lift and 35"x13.5" from pro comp) I just couldn't imagine that an extra inch or two would make it impossible to turn sitting still. Anyway I've "lived with for 2 years and still think it's crap to deal with sometimes. I may try something like you have since you had good results!!! THX!!

:confused::confused::confused:

#58 ·
Hey bigaF250, since they are 08's was that something they took care of under warranty? (wishful thinking? :lookaround:)

#59 ·
Mine was hard to steer for the first 30k miles..... discovered the ball joints were tight. Ford would not help me with the ball joints so I replaced with mooge joints..... problem solved. I am running stock sized tires.

#60 ·
No it wasnt and the stupid part about it was that the reason the pump and gear box failed was cause some real professionals at the lube shop that changed my oil topped my ps fluid off with windshield wash. Even under 36k miles ford still did not waranty it. And the lube shops guys are professionals and would never do thatLOL. They told me I sabotaged my own truck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.