Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

7.3 fuel leak

23K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  Mooseposse 
#1 ·
Hi, my boss has a 2002 f350 with a 7.3 in it, the prolbem is it is leaken fuel on top of the motor. Im not for sure what fuel issues they have or what uselly goes bad to cause it to leak. I dont know much about the 7.3, I have mailnly worked on my 6.0. Can someone shine some light on what direction to take so im not ripping the top half of the motor off for no reason. Thanks John

#2 ·
Most likely the o-rings for the drain valve on the fuel bowl. Look at the back side of the fuel filter housing with the engine running or key on and look for drips. Other than that it could be any of the other fuel lines going into the fuel filter housing so look at them.

#6 ·
:whs: just had mine rub threw this spring, but it could also be orings. if its losing fuel fast id say line considering when mine wore threw you could almost follow where i went at about 25mph. slow id say orings.

#7 ·
Check the 2 lines on the passenger's side of the fuel bowl and 1 line on the driver's side of the fuel bowl. They have sleeves, not o-rings, that form the seal inside the line. Mine had rotted away and that's where my leaks were coming from. I believe they're referred to as Parker Fuel Sleeves.

#9 ·
mine leaked there a few years ago..caught by dealer was a very expensive repair for the 2 orings..

do it yourself cheap.....and easy

#11 ·
mine pores out of the drain hole on the bottom of the view plate on the torq con/trans... i have studied the lines etc on the top and cant see a leak. funny thing is it only doest it when its cold and only untill the truck is warm. but when it leaks it POURS! Any clue what it could be?????
A local shop said it is prob the seal on the bottom of the turbo... but he didnt look at it. help plz!

#12 ·
My 2000 was doing the same for about 3 years but only in the winter then stopped after the truck wamed up. This year it did not stop and got worse. I notice there was a leak from the drain valve. I just replace the O-Rings this weekend. Everthing was good with just the key turned on until I started the truck. Fuel started pouring out on the drivers side. A took a good look from underneath and realized the Quick-Disconnect for the return line I think, and the line going back under the driver was leaking bad.

I haven't pulled it apart yet, I was told this can be replaced with high pressure rubber lines but what do you use for fitting to either connect to existing lines or the sleeve compression fitting at the filter. I haven't looked to see where the next joint is in the line but I would assume it's either another quick-connect or compression fitting.

Has anyone replaced these line with rubber? Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.