Cheap 6.0 upgrades

7K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  ernieb143 
#1 ·
I have a 05 6.0
Just have the stock 3.5 straight piped.
What are the first things i should do staying on a pretty tight budget
Thanks for any input

#2 ·
Save up for whatever gauge setup you choose. Drive it, read here and learn. Add to the list as needed.

Cheap mods and can be done yourself:
Blue Spring mod= $60+
24" wiper blades= $50 (Bosch)
ZooDad mod= Hole saw or Sawzall
Harpoon mod= Requires dropping the tank and snipping a small pipe
2003 metal IC cold side pipe= $120+

#3 ·
What is this wiper mod and why I have I never heard of it lol

#5 ·
Boost builders are a waste imo. Also "cheap" and "6.0" are rarely used in the same sentence. And yes, familiarize yourself with the truck before you do a lot of performance. A nd definitely get some type of monitor. Look into an edge insight. Youll want to monitor delta's snd fuel pressure for sure.

#7 ·
What benefit is the harpoon mod? Never heard of it

#11 ·
anyone on here will tell you to do an EGR delete. It is not very cheap, but your truck will be healthier in the long run. Cheapest i've seen them are at smedingdiesel.com.

#16 ·
Re: Re: Cheap 6.0 upgrades

They dont crack like the stupid plastic one.

They also look better! LOL

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#17 ·
7.3dalton, I picked up a used Afe stage II for 1/4 of the price of new. Not many people recommend it because of how efficient the stock intakes are on these trucks but I felt like I picked up as much power with it as I did with my Atlas 40 tuned FICM. The tuned ficm could be another route. I think PHP offers ficm tuner 'rentals' that you get shipped to you. Im not sure of the price but it could be worth looking into

#18 ·
Another good and highly reccommended mod is a Coolant Filtration System...again not the cheapest thing around but your truck and pocket will thank you in the long run

#19 ·
EGR delete. I blocked off my EGR with a 35mm freeze plug and replaced my intake manifold gaskets for $35. Then did a coolant flush and coolant filter for about $150. Probably the most bang for your buck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.