Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

6.0 Powerstroke Coolant flush procedure

165K views 50 replies 33 participants last post by  Turd-250 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Reactions: pphelps
This post has been deleted
#8 ·
if you are having air come bubble out of your degas bottle doesnt that mean busted head gasket?

#7 ·
#10 ·
Yes

#13 ·
works fine for me

#15 ·
I just replaced my oil cooler with the BPD one and I also put in a Sinister coolant filter. My oil cooler was previously leaking mixing oil and coolant so how can I get all that sludge #### out? Any help would be appreciated

#19 ·
I think if you have been changing your coolant out on a regular basis you don't need to go to these extreams. My water comes out clean after one flush. I drain it all radiator an block. Fill with distilled water. Take a trip. Drain again and fill up with coolant and distilled as needed. This is a great write up though. I am going to install the fumoto next time around. I can get the plug out without removing the starter but it's still a pain.

#20 ·
or your ECT-EOT temps may dictate when a good reverse flush is due

how the f did u get the plug out without dropping the starter ?
I tried it but then I realized I would have to unhook the batteries to prevent arc welding my wrench to the block

so I dropped the starter but only put it back in with the 2 easy bolts while doing the flush

#21 ·
This may be a stupid question but new to diesels. Just bought 2005 F350, 98,800 miles. I've replaced degas cap with a Stant and also installed Performance Machine Coolant filter. I plan to do flush/fill at 100,000 miles. My question is what do I do about coolant filter? Will it not just block all the gunk from being flushed out? Thanks for any insight.

Definition of Insanity....AutoGuide

#25 ·
i started thinking about it again. if you close either side of filter head, remove filter & just open drainc0ck, opening one of the shut-offs at a time will get the fluid out of those lines. re close them, put new filter on & flush as normal. that way you won't have to worry about junk in the filter, head, or the aux lines. & Thank You for making me think on it!

#31 · (Edited by Moderator)
#48 · (Edited)
Thanks "TURD-250"for a GREAT LINK to Great Article. Was going to do a simple 'flush and fill' and after reading your link, I decided to do a COMPLETE Flush. I bought a 05-F250 Lariat SD 4x4 6.0 with 92,000 on the clock. Never pulled a trailer (still has the factory rubber plug for the hitch ball in the bumper) or had anything in the bed except for a bale or two of hay or groceries. Elderly ECCENTRIC VERY WEALTHY AGGIE bought it NEW (Special Order) as his Luxury truck. It was his baby. When his old ones got close to 100,000 on the clock he bought a new one. Always wanted the latest and greatest F-250 Ford had to offer at the time. There isn't an option that was available in 05 this isn't on this truck. It was a special order Custom paint and not a scratch on it. I want to take care of it as he did. I have every receipt for every thing done to the truck from the local Ford Dealer. I carried it to the Local Ford Dealer to confirm the maintenance records and they said he paid cash for his trucks and DEMANDED the best of everything. As they said Money was no object to him! He ordered his trucks with every option available and always painted in Texas A&M colors. Ford said sometimes it would take 2-3 months to get his NEW TRUCK in. He supposedly bought several work vehicles a year for his Cattle Ranch and cars for lucky family members from the Local Ford Dealer. They also said he brought "Foo-Foo" his baby in every 5000 miles for oil change and ALL the filters replaced if the truck ever burped he brought it in for service. I bought it from the original owner. Ford dealer said he never traded one in as he wanted to pick the next owner. There is not a speck of dirt or dust in the engine compartment and the truck is immaculate. He made me promise to take care of it. He was 84 years old when I bought it and I plan on taking care of it the best way I can and know how. (I'll do what I can as MONEY is a BIG object to me!) I'm 66 and plan on being carried to my grave in the bed of "Foo-Foo" as he called her.. So it has to last a few more years I HOPE! Thanks again for the info.

#32 ·
Same.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.