Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Changing the rear differential gear oil

5K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Highbeam 
#1 ·
I am thinking about changing my rear axle gear oil in my 2003 F250 i was wondering if anybody had a good way to put the oil back in the differential. I have an aftermarket diff cover and it doesnt have any plugs on it to put the oil back in, im a little stumped on how to go about it. Any suggestions would be great.

Also how can i tell which rear axle i have in my truck, i dont have the axle tag because of the aftermarket diff cover?

#3 ·
There is a plug in the side of the pumpkin on the drivers side. It's a 3/8" ratchet square plug. pull it out, fill it up until gear oil starts to come out, put the plug back in.

#4 ·
you can fill them through the speedo sensor hole as well. My flatbed has a goose-neck ball under a 14" or so square door in the bed, so that works real well for me

#5 ·
The OEM diff cover has no fill plug, drain plug, or magnet attached. To drain you remove the cover. To fill, you use the fill plug on the front of the case near the pinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.