recall for reflash on 6.4 [Archive] - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

recall for reflash on 6.4

BFT
03-24-2009, 12:50 AM
what does the reflash do?
my truck just came from an oil change and they reflashed my computer and now my tuner doesnt work!? tuner is just for tires and tranny
im hoping its just the tuner itself
the tuner reads a different vin on the truck...:confused:

geared_low550
03-24-2009, 01:11 AM
that is wierd, i had mine reflashed before i put the tuner in it i have for the tires as well. mine is a hypermax though.

crowz
03-24-2009, 01:53 AM
what does the reflash do?
my truck just came from an oil change and they reflashed my computer and now my tuner doesnt work!? tuner is just for tires and tranny
im hoping its just the tuner itself
the tuner reads a different vin on the truck...:confused:

Did you unload the tuner from the truck before they flashed it? If not the tuner is most likely vin locked and will have to be sent back to the company that made it to be unlocked again.

BFT
03-24-2009, 02:04 AM
Did you unload the tuner from the truck before they flashed it? If not the tuner is most likely vin locked and will have to be sent back to the company that made it to be unlocked again.

ur probably right. i didnt unlock it before it went in because it was supposed to just go in for an oil change.
yeah the tuner is vin locked but i thought it would still work being its for the same vehicle.

kainers
03-24-2009, 07:28 AM
Isn't that so nice of the dealer to update your trucks computer for you:poke:

bbbxcursion
03-24-2009, 07:35 AM
Gotta love the service these days! It's locked, call the company you got it from for help.

BFT
03-24-2009, 06:04 PM

oh yeah! sneaky lil fckers

BFT
03-24-2009, 06:05 PM
Gotta love the service these days! It's locked, call the company you got it from for help.

yeah im about to do it, thanks!

geared_low550
03-24-2009, 06:27 PM
Every time mine goes in I specifically request they not touch mine ecxept for what I asked them to do.

sonic blue l
03-24-2009, 06:42 PM

considering its a recall, it has to be done.

sonic blue l
03-24-2009, 06:46 PM
oh yeah! sneaky lil fckers

If your truck was stock there would be no problem, there is only one person to blame and that is not the dealership.

As for sneaky, im sure when you have a engine problem with your truck you will remove the tuner, etc to try and get warrenty. Now whos the sneaky one :poke:

Its funny how guys will bitch when dealers perform a recall (in which they must do) and lock there tuner. Then in the next sentance they will bitch and lie through there teeth to ford if they have an engine concern.

One more reason why the world has gone to ####, its full of liars and cheats

I think some of you need a reality check and get out of your own little world where you do no wrong.

geared_low550
03-24-2009, 07:03 PM
Yeee hhaaawwww. Sonics back to stirr the pot lol

BFT
03-24-2009, 07:38 PM
If your truck was stock there would be no problem, there is only one person to blame and that is not the dealership.

As for sneaky, im sure when you have a engine problem with your truck you will remove the tuner, etc to try and get warrenty. Now whos the sneaky one :poke:

Its funny how guys will bitch when dealers perform a recall (in which they must do) and lock there tuner. Then in the next sentance they will bitch and lie through there teeth to ford if they have an engine concern.

I think some of you need a reality check and get out of your own little world where you do no wrong.

wow!!! that was pretty bold of you! but seeing this was just for my tires i do care quite a bit.

now the recall was never sent out and was known to me when i picked up the truck from an oil change.

i appreciate what ford did, but next time i would like to know. another thing when i called and asked what the reflash did they didnt know.

now thats a bitch! seeing that they did something to my truck, TUNER OR NO TUNER, and have no ####in clue what its for.

so why dont you get off your little dealer perfect world and open your eyes.
i didnt pay 50 ####in g's for my truck to have some suck ass tell me what i can and cant do to my truck.

BFT
03-24-2009, 07:41 PM
considering its a recall, it has to be done.

considering it has to be done, the customer has to have knowledge of whats gonna be done to their vehicle.

geared_low550
03-25-2009, 02:12 PM
:popcorn:

bbbxcursion
03-25-2009, 06:20 PM
Gotta go poop, I'll be back!

chappy
03-25-2009, 07:38 PM

Ford is nothing but liars and cheats so I hope everyone tries to screw them over as much as possible.Why don't they do something that actually needs fixing like the spark plug issue with blowing out on the 4.6,5.4,v10.Or how about they fix the problem with the spark plugs not comming out on the newer 4.6 or 5.4. No ,they won't because they are crooked and a bunch of liars so go preach to someone else on your soap box.

bbbxcursion
03-25-2009, 08:10 PM
LOL you're such an idiot

BFT
03-25-2009, 08:27 PM
WO WO!!! before this post turns into to WWIII! my only question was and is, what does the reflash do? i already asked a "trained FORD mechanic" and for him to tell me i dont know...well sh!t!
sonic, if you get bitter with this, then i understand where your coming from. sh!t i got a bit ticked. but just like you put all the people with tuners and upgrades in the same boat, as far as bitching and lying through our teeth, thats all good. but that means your no smarter then that ford mechanic with the "i dont know" answer workin on my truck!
remember, i was just lookin for some answers. i wasnt lookin for a verbal stand off:ford:

bbbxcursion
03-25-2009, 08:33 PM
I was calling Chappy an idiot, sorry BFT. Sonic might know what this flash does??

BFT
03-25-2009, 08:41 PM
I was calling Chappy an idiot, sorry BFT. Sonic might know what this flash does??

haa haa, i know!

well i hope so!

bbbxcursion
03-25-2009, 08:52 PM
But will the almighty ford genious tell us? I doubt it, he's kind of a dick LOL

'powerstroke7.3
03-25-2009, 08:57 PM

It is the dealerships fault. They should notify the customer of changes being made wheather or not its a recall or not.

Dealers dont HAVE to do any recall. They MUST however inform the customer. I replaced my CPS on my 7.3 and they just asked if I wanted to deny or accept the recall. They damn sure would have gotten reprimanded if they touched my truck without my knowledge.

Reality check done.

geared_low550
03-25-2009, 09:43 PM
yea a ford tech but he may be but yet he won't help us out any at all or contribute positively:shrug: . when i would bet he knows the answer

bbbxcursion
03-25-2009, 09:46 PM
He's just a has-been with an ego. Typical dealership tech.

geared_low550
03-25-2009, 09:56 PM
i'm not downing the guy just wish since he's a trained ford tech , he would help instead of tell us it's our fault for modifying them lol

bbbxcursion
03-25-2009, 10:01 PM
Yeah I know, I'm just being an a$$

BFT
03-25-2009, 10:12 PM
you can find the recalls on the net, but i couldnt find any.
so far the only recall for my truck has had something to do with the fuel line that would've been damaged on a front end collisionwhich was repaired.

geared_low550
03-26-2009, 12:04 AM
Yeah I know, I'm just being an a$$

i cant blame you LOL i can't help it sometimes either..

sonic blue l
03-26-2009, 04:59 AM
i have been away for awhile as i don't come on here too often, but anyway.

What the recall does actually depends on your build date. The dealership should have gave you an info sheet.

The customer info sheet informs the customer of changes made to the pcm programing and the instrument cluster warning messages. Example " drive to clean ", " cleaning exhuast filter ", etc. Some trucks the recall will only program the pcm and on others it will program the pcm, tcm, ic.

Depending upon build date your truck may already have some of the features, hence the info sheet which is dependant upon build date which is a supplement to your owners manual. (so they might have put it in your owners manual, however i lay it on the dash so that the customer can see it.)

The biggest change is no regen at idle. There are also changes to some strategies which determine engine shut down, derate, trans control, etc. The engine will derate when it hits 1350 deg egt, improvements to trans shifting, may notice milage increase, etc.

Word on the street is that ford may change the i/c as now that customers are aware that the truck is in regen, there are complaints of more regens then previously, however ford states there was no change that would cause more regen intervals, just none at idle.

The only difference is that now customers are aware of regen. It can be related to the same reason why trucks have not had " real " oil pressure guages for years. Its because some customers could not understand the reasoning why your oil pressure may flucuate from idle to cruise rpm when its perfectly normal. Another reason why ect, and tft are filtered aswell.

The sheet also tells customer if they are running elevated idle control, pto, etc to make sure its turned off when not in use. Otherwise the vehilce will not go into regen. (this has always been the case, but now they are just providing a warning). Basically if you have hi idle, turn off the switch, don't rely on the e brake pedal as one did with a 6l. Releasing the e brake will drop the rpm to normal, but does not shut off seic.

Whats your build date? As if you have a truck which just barely got in on the recall (aka late build) you may not need a sheet as your owners manual would have the info in it already. I usually just put a sheet in the truck anyway just so as to refresh peoples memory about turning off the hi idle so they don't kill their dpf.

Not trying to beat a dead horse but the hi idle thing is important, i replaced a dpf a week after another tech replaced one, but he did not know about the seic disabling regen. The company would always leave the hi idle switch on, thus they had to send out a memo to all their employees to turn the switch off when not in use. The truck basically had 2 dpfs replaced in about a 1 week time, they were lucky as ford payed for them.

The only problem the new no regen at idle may have is for the guys who let there truck idle all day for no reason. We have customers who let there truck run all day because they are on call and don't want to get in a cold truck if they get called in :doh:. Or those with picker trucks where the trucks never leave the job site, their complaint is that now they have to leave the job site to drive the truck for 30 min. That in itself brings up a whole other issue about engine hours vs milage. My truck will be off warrenty by milage before i hit 2500 hours, yet i've fixed trucks with over 5000 hours which are still under warrenty as they have not hit the milage limit. So i think them having to take a 30 min off of work to drive the truck is a small price to pay for extended warranty.

BFT
03-26-2009, 07:54 AM
thanks sonic, you have been more then helpful. that answers alot of my questions i have had, as far as the regeneration goes.

chappy
03-26-2009, 10:35 AM
LOL you're such an idiot

its not nice to talk to your daddy that way LOL

Charles
03-26-2009, 01:38 PM
While there are plenty of guys at Ford dealerships that do have a good grasp on what is going on, one thing you should always keep in mind, is that ford did NOT engineer these engines. And as such, they are a CUSTOMER just like you.

There is not ONE person at Ford that knows the intimate details of things like processor selection, or even less intricate details like communications protocols between devices that was not given that information, or who found it for himself through testing.

Because nobody at Ford actually built this sh*t.

As to the issue with the dealer disclosing changes and such....

Yes, they should inform you as to what will be done before it's done. But at the end of the day, if you expect to receive a warranty on a product, you had best leave that product in the condition you found it when you purchased it, or have the good sense to roll up your warranty and smoke it. Anything in between is precisely as under-handed as Sonic stated. And it is representative of serious character flaws.

Obviously none of you fine Gentlemen would ever try to have a truck warrantied after increasing the engine power output 60% or so. But a bunch of people sure do. And Sonic's tone shows the frustration from the other end.

geared_low550
03-26-2009, 03:41 PM
thanks for the info sonic :D

'powerstroke7.3
03-26-2009, 05:01 PM
Obviously none of you fine Gentlemen would ever try to have a truck warrantied after increasing the engine power output 60% or so. But a bunch of people sure do. And Sonic's tone shows the frustration from the other end.

Ive never been rich enough to buy a truck with a warranty. LOL

chappy
03-26-2009, 05:10 PM
Ive never been rich enough to buy a truck with a warranty. LOL

I hear that LOL

BFT
03-26-2009, 05:53 PM
i hear yah on that one! but my argumeant was the fact that the tech answered my question with an "i dont know".
now being that the motor wasnt built by ford, i would still expect for them to have some knowledge of what going on. espacially if he is the supervisor of the ford techs.
i just want an answer to my question, which i am asking a professional. sonic answered that question and thats what i expected first time around.

as far as people that pump up their trucks 60% more...it may not me the smart thing, it will void our warranty, we might kick ourselves in the ass, but we have damn good fun the time being

Charles
03-26-2009, 06:33 PM
i hear yah on that one! but my argumeant was the fact that the tech answered my question with an "i dont know".
now being that the motor wasnt built by ford, i would still expect for them to have some knowledge of what going on. espacially if he is the supervisor of the ford techs.
i just want an answer to my question, which i am asking a professional. sonic answered that question and thats what i expected first time around.

as far as people that pump up their trucks 60% more...it may not me the smart thing, it will void our warranty, we might kick ourselves in the ass, but we have damn good fun the time being

No problem with that at all. My DD is currently in excess of 300% stock power. I would not expect to have it warrantied though. And I did not touch one thing on the truck until the warranty had expired.

geared_low550
03-26-2009, 06:57 PM

dam good point BFT LOL :ford::rockon:

STONE6.4L
03-26-2009, 08:51 PM
Where is the high idle switch located??

sonic blue l
03-27-2009, 03:59 AM
some guys wire in an upfitter switch. You have to wire it into the seic wiring.

I personally would not bother on a 6.4 as the trucks idle up themselves anyway. Also the truck will never get to operating temp idling anyway.

Even the 6l with the later calibrations will idle up sooner and stay on hi idle longer so its not as important as it once was.

The biggie is don't let your truck idle for hours on end and you will have no problems. Idle all day and you will, plus you will waste even more fuel as your truck will have to regen more frequently and you will shorten the life of your dpf.

If you live where it can hit - 40, plug the truck in, use a 0w40 oil and let it warm up 10-15 and go. If you live where its 70 all the time start it up, give it a couple of minutes to make sure oil has lubed everything and go.