How do you correctly measure your lift [Archive] - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

How do you correctly measure your lift

Jonesin
04-25-2012, 05:20 AM
I dont really know how to word this but, how would you determine how much lift you have if you didnt install the kit? Is there a specific way to do this?

Bigbody250
04-25-2012, 06:48 AM
measure the distance from the frame to the axle on your truck and a stock truck. subtract the two and viola... you've got the lift height.

nukewelder
04-25-2012, 10:28 AM
measure the distance from the frame to the axle on your truck and a stock truck. subtract the two and viola... you've got the lift height.

IN that measurement you would have to take in the height of the bigger tires over stock also

The Butcher
04-25-2012, 06:17 PM
IN that measurement you would have to take in the height of the bigger tires over stock also

The distance he is telling him to measure is between the frame and the axle, so the tire size wouldn't change that measurement.

Wilson444
04-25-2012, 06:22 PM
but it wouldnt account for a body lift

The Butcher
04-25-2012, 07:06 PM
but it wouldnt account for a body lift

True, but if he has a body lift it will be pretty easy to tell (and measure that).

BigKid
04-25-2012, 07:16 PM
I could be wrong, but if I'm not mistaken, they figure your tires in with it. Ex. I had an 8" lift from fabteck on my 02. But the rear block they sent was only 5" or so. Not 8" tall. Same with the front leafs, they weren't 8" taller than stock. With that being said, you should be able to measure your truck in stock form, then measure it WITH the lift AND tires on it, and that's what they call xxx" lift. Meaning, if your truck is 8" taller with all the stuff on it, it's an 8" lift.

Again, I could be way off here, and the boys at Truck Toyz will clear all this up. But from past experience with mine, that is what I think.

Zmann
04-25-2012, 07:45 PM
no they don't figure tires in the advertised lift Height

many lift companies just are full of Chit IMHO Real world gains from company to company seem to vary

TANK'S 250
04-25-2012, 08:13 PM
Frame to axle..its the only way....BUT...you may have some spring/leaf sagging...lifts drop over time.

new2deisel
04-25-2012, 08:53 PM
I dont really know how to word this but, how would you determine how much lift you have if you didnt install the kit? Is there a specific way to do this?

I usually use a tape measure:shrug:

Just kidding man:hehe: I couldn't resist. Probably not as funny as I think it is:doh:
I measure before and after I installed it. Usually don't put the tires on right away so don't need to put that into account. If you do then minus tire difference. I find most quality lift companies will be pretty close to advertised lift but then you have to consider what other acc. you have on the vehicle that might add extra weight.

Jonesin
04-25-2012, 11:37 PM
LOL nice one above... Thanks all yall I know its a suspension but never truly knew how big the lift is.Im gonna give it a shot when I get in.

Jonesin
04-26-2012, 12:48 AM
i measured from axle to frame and got 15 front 18 rear. And I am measuring to the bottom of the frame right?But any ideasn with those numbers?

Bigbody250
04-26-2012, 06:36 AM
It doesn't matter where on the frame you measure to as long as you're consistent. To figure out what the lift size is, you'll need to find someone with a stock f250 or 350 (same or similar year) depending on what you have to compare numbers with.

i'm sure someone on here wouldn't mind helping you out.

BigKid
04-26-2012, 01:24 PM
i measured from axle to frame and got 15 front 18 rear. And I am measuring to the bottom of the frame right?But any ideasn with those numbers?

If your only question really is, "what size lift do I have", Just post up some pictures of your truck with the tire/wheel size, and I bet at least 5 to 10 guys on here will tell you, and be spot on.

Zmann
04-26-2012, 01:24 PM
you need to find the same model truck
250 and 350's have different ride heights

theSLEEPER
04-26-2012, 02:20 PM
6".