6.0 vs 6.7 which one to get? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

6.0 vs 6.7 which one to get?

Hey y'all I am in the market for a superduty and am trying to decide between the 6.0 or 6.7 I know I can make the 6.0 bulletproof and come out cheaper than a newer 6.7 but I know the 6.7 has a better ride, better interior, but how reliable are the 6.7s after 100,000 miles vs the 6.0s? A concern on the 6.0s is even a 2007 6.0 is still 10 years old. Any opinions or advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 02:49 AM
Trust me, I got this...

Garage
Re: 6.0 vs 6.7 which one to get?

Personally, I would go for a 6.0 thats bulletproofed already. If you want a 6.7 though, all I know is get a later model one. The early 6.7 bottom ends arent so hot.

Shoulda bought a Cummins. May or may not have a cummins swap in the works.

1997 7.3L XLT, 4x4, 5spd, 307k, TS chip, 6637 filter, 4" straight piped dual exit

If you got a D60 or tan superduty/OBS seats PM me.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 03:31 AM
Master BS'er

No question, 6.7 hands down.

Next!

Jamie.

p.s...I'm pretty frickin awesome!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 10:36 AM

6.0 vs 6.7 which one to get?

6.7. The 11 and 12's had valve and turbo issues.

If you get a 6.0. Buy one that is broke down. Then fix it. So you know all the work is done right.

01 f-250, Standard
Rev tech 4" lift, 37" military wrangler Mt tires
KC diy 66, Full force 160/100 and custom tunes from PHP
Banks intercooler and full 4" exhaust, Diy S&B intake
Diy quad feed, Hydra, Isspro boost, pyro, and fuel pressure
3/0 battery cables with military style terminals
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 01:42 AM
PSN Newb

I had a '04 6.0 that was bulletproofed, modified up-pipe, exhaust/cat delete, ccv re-route to open air & tuned.

IMO, my '15 6.7 is superior in every way even though it is bone stock.

Couple things to clarify:

My '04 was prior to the larger brakes they changed to on the '05-'07 6.0's. Brakes on the 6.7 are ridiculously strong/powerful compared to the '04.

My '15 6.7 has the powertrain upgrades over the '11-'14 that includes, more power/torque and better exhaust brake due to the different turbo. There were also other changes to support the increased power/torque.

2004 F350 Lariat 6.0 TorqShift CrewCab Dually Longbed.
Updated turbo feed/drain, blue spring, ARP Studs, MBRP dp & exhaust, Spearco intercooler, BPD EGR, CCV mod, FICMrepair with Atlas 40, DC Power 185, Riffraff boots, 2008 tranny pan & filter, Final Charge ELC, Scan Gauge 2, KYB Monomax
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 01:58 AM
Master BS'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicrr View Post

IMO, my '15 6.7 is superior in every way even though it is bone stock.
There's a good reason for that. Because your opinion is correct, it is superior in every possible way. That doesn't make the 6.0 a bad truck, quite the opposite. But the 6.7 is two generations newer, if it werent superior then Ford would have a major engineering problem on its hands.
79jasper likes this.

Jamie.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 07:08 AM
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiesaun View Post
There's a good reason for that. Because your opinion is correct, it is superior in every possible way. That doesn't make the 6.0 a bad truck, quite the opposite. But the 6.7 is two generations newer, if it werent superior then Ford would have a major engineering problem on its hands.
Thanks. I'm sure that is a helpful post for the OP.

Is the 6.0 a bad truck? I can tell you it wasn't fun being stuck on the side of the road with a trailer attached - happened more than once. They definitely have their problems but the aftermarket has the fix for them now. I had my truck for 10 years and a lot of good miles. I also had several trips that needed to be extended and extra costs added in hotels/meals not to mention having to burn extra vacation days. If you're going to tow, I wouldn't own a 6.0 unless it was bulletproofed.

Here is something to think about. How much time and/or money are you willing to put into a older truck. I ask because the reality is you won't get that money back. Out in the market, that money & time isn't going to net you any return in resale or trade-in. While it is fun to work on your truck, that time is worth money too.

My '04, which I had set up just how I wanted it, had a blue book value of approximately $10k when I bought my new (2015) truck. IIRC it had over 150K miles on it. Unfortunately, it was pressurizing the coolant tank even though it was bulletproofed with studs, etc. Another bulletproof was going to cost me roughly $6k-$7k. This is assuming the heads & injectors were all still good. On the interior, the leather seats, despite my best efforts of care, were getting pretty bad with cracks in the leather. Leather on the steering wheel was pretty tired. A full brake job ( including disc = hassle & expensive on a dually) was going to be needed soon. You get the point.

In my case, I didn't feel it made sense to 'restore' my truck. I was guessing I could put in excess of $10K into the truck but it would still only be worth $10K on the market. On the other hand, say I spent $15k on my truck & drove it for another 10 years, I'd be $40k ahead versus what I paid for my new one. As always, YMMV.

2004 F350 Lariat 6.0 TorqShift CrewCab Dually Longbed.
Updated turbo feed/drain, blue spring, ARP Studs, MBRP dp & exhaust, Spearco intercooler, BPD EGR, CCV mod, FICMrepair with Atlas 40, DC Power 185, Riffraff boots, 2008 tranny pan & filter, Final Charge ELC, Scan Gauge 2, KYB Monomax
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 12:46 PM
Master BS'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicrr View Post
Thanks. I'm sure that is a helpful post for the OP.

Is the 6.0 a bad truck? I can tell you it wasn't fun being stuck on the side of the road with a trailer attached - happened more than once. They definitely have their problems but the aftermarket has the fix for them now. I had my truck for 10 years and a lot of good miles. I also had several trips that needed to be extended and extra costs added in hotels/meals not to mention having to burn extra vacation days. If you're going to tow, I wouldn't own a 6.0 unless it was bulletproofed.

Here is something to think about. How much time and/or money are you willing to put into a older truck. I ask because the reality is you won't get that money back. Out in the market, that money & time isn't going to net you any return in resale or trade-in. While it is fun to work on your truck, that time is worth money too.

My '04, which I had set up just how I wanted it, had a blue book value of approximately $10k when I bought my new (2015) truck. IIRC it had over 150K miles on it. Unfortunately, it was pressurizing the coolant tank even though it was bulletproofed with studs, etc. Another bulletproof was going to cost me roughly $6k-$7k. This is assuming the heads & injectors were all still good. On the interior, the leather seats, despite my best efforts of care, were getting pretty bad with cracks in the leather. Leather on the steering wheel was pretty tired. A full brake job ( including disc = hassle & expensive on a dually) was going to be needed soon. You get the point.

In my case, I didn't feel it made sense to 'restore' my truck. I was guessing I could put in excess of $10K into the truck but it would still only be worth $10K on the market. On the other hand, say I spent $15k on my truck & drove it for another 10 years, I'd be $40k ahead versus what I paid for my new one. As always, YMMV.
The 6.7 has it's problems too, all models have their problems, just the way it goes. Also, the 6.7 is a flat out pain in the ass to work on.

The market is a tricky thing. Basically, we have the internet to thank for the book value of these trucks. We get scores of people regurgitating the same nonsense over and over. Eventually what you get is a 00 7.3 worth more than a 6.0? That's retarded but there you have it. The value is always going to based on what people will pay for something, and it's not really based on reality but it's based on perception. Same reason a freaking purse goes for ten grand, because it has Gucci written on it. Same thing with trucks.

Jamie.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 10:05 PM
PSN Veteran

i'll take a ruby red '16 f250 ccsb 4x4 with a 7.3. my dream truck

2003 f250 lariat ccsb, 4x4. 7.3, bullydog 6 pos. chip, 6637, 315 tires, HD 4r100, badass stereo. 127,000 going strong
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:04 AM
Master BS'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by s10mike View Post
i'll take a ruby red '16 f250 ccsb 4x4 with a 7.3. my dream truck
You'd dream truck is a 16 Ford, with a 7.3 in it?

Jamie.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode