New Healthcare Bill to cost Cat $100M - Page 6 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 03:35 AM
--------

Re: New Healthcare Bill to cost Cat $100M

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Gandy View Post
The company said the potential extra costs would primarily come from provisions to tax the federal subsidies the company now receives for providing prescription-drug benefits to retirees and their spouses.

Since the Medicare drug program was enacted in 2003, Caterpillar and more than 3,500 companies that already provided drug benefits for retirees have received tax-free subsidies from the federal government as an incentive to maintain their drug programs.

The subsidies average $665 per person covered under a company-sponsored prescription program, according to benefits consultant Towers Watson, which recently completed a study on the health-care legislation's effects.

Watson Towers estimates federal taxes on the drug subsidies would amount to $233 per person receiving drug benefits under such programs.

About 40,000 Caterpillar retirees receive company-sponsored drug benefits, which are more generous than Medicare's drug plan, in which recipients are required to pay some out-of-pocket expenses.

Proponents of subjecting the drug benefit subsidies to federal income taxes argue that Caterpillar and other companies are already able to deduct health care benefit costs, including the drug program, from their taxes as a business expense.
Using an article that supports your position is typical of you Gandy Pants. But at least do the simple math. Taxes of $233/person x 40,000 retirees = $9,320,000. Where is the other $90,680,000 in cost?

2004 F250 SC Shortbed 6.0 (03 Engine) Auto 4X2 Lariat, John Wood SCT, 4" Turbo back exhaust with cat, Boze Fatal Eight 20x10 Wheels, Toyo Proxes ST 305/50-20 Tires

Quote:
Spelling is a lossed art.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Always be sincere...even if you don't mean it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 03:47 AM
Gandy Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianC View Post
Using an article that supports your position is typical of you Gandy Pants.
And shooting from the hip and expecting everyone to automatically believe you...................is yours.

Quote:
But at least do the simple math. Taxes of $233/person x 40,000 retirees = $9,320,000. Where is the other $90,680,000 in cost?
You tell us.

Go ahead and guess......as usual. (Hint: there's another $665 in there that you seemed to have ignored ).

Besides, I'm the one that was asking where the hit was coming from in the first place.

Your vaunted Faux News is the one explaining it.

But, I'll bet you didn't even bother to read it.......now did you?

Never have so many politicians, screwed so many Americans...just to make one black person lose his job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binderpower View Post
I can be possible.
post #53 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 03:49 AM
All done now

Wow, when I saw the name of this thread, I thought we were going to have to start a fund to help Cat_Rebel get through this episode of his life.

Early '99 F350 DRW, Excab, LB. Auto. 2WD, 2010 bed, 2005 headlights, 298K, on my way to 1000K.
H2E, 238 Hybrids, Adrenaline oil, Tuned by Tony. DIY Regulated Return.

post #54 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 04:05 AM
<-- it's like that

Why are right-wingers so anti-government, anti-subsidies.... yet when Cat is crying a loss of profits because their subsidies are being cut off, the right-wing extremists come out of the closet and try to make excuses?

Seriously people.

Curtis
2002 F-250 PSD
Gambling with 250/200's on PMR's.
478hp/851tq on Haller's dyno - 7/28/12
Your connection to the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #55 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 04:10 AM
--------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Gandy View Post
And shooting from the hip and expecting everyone to automatically believe you...................is yours.

You tell us.

Go ahead and guess......as usual. (Hint: there's another $665 in there that you seemed to have ignored ).

Besides, I'm the one that was asking where the hit was coming from in the first place.

Your vaunted Faux News is the one explaining it.

But, I'll bet you didn't even bother to read it.......now did you?
You're dumber than I thought. Read the damn article that you provided. It clearly explains where the majority of the cost comes from...taxes. It then explains the tax amount and how many people are covered. Where's your difficulty in understanding this?

I don't know where the cost is coming from...I didn't quote it. I also didn't try to prove that the majority of the costs come from taxing subsidies. You did. Now go pull out your calculator and do the math. Hint: The $665 amount is the subsidy, not a cost.

2004 F250 SC Shortbed 6.0 (03 Engine) Auto 4X2 Lariat, John Wood SCT, 4" Turbo back exhaust with cat, Boze Fatal Eight 20x10 Wheels, Toyo Proxes ST 305/50-20 Tires

Quote:
Quote:
post #56 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 04:22 AM
--------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket View Post
Why are right-wingers so anti-government, anti-subsidies.... yet when Cat is crying a loss of profits because their subsidies are being cut off, the right-wing extremists come out of the closet and try to make excuses?

Seriously people.
Just another example of missing the point. If you're going to post up numbers, at least check to see that they make sense.

I say get rid of the subsidy completely. (And all other subsidies while your at it. ALL OF THEM.) It won't bother CAT, but there will be 40,000 retired employees who may complain a little. Of course they will all be a part of the new health care system anyway, so what would be their point in arguing a system they no doubt supported.

BTW, the subsidies, according to Gandy Pants' post, are being taxed, not cut off.

Quote:
Quote:
post #57 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 04:35 AM
<-- it's like that

Quote:
Just another example of missing the point. If you're going to post up numbers, at least check to see that they make sense.

I say get rid of the subsidy completely. (And all other subsidies while your at it. ALL OF THEM.) It won't bother CAT, but there will be 40,000 retired employees who may complain a little. Of course they will all be a part of the new health care system anyway, so what would be their point in arguing a system they no doubt supported.

BTW, the subsidies, according to Gandy Pants' post, are being taxed, not cut off.
Ok, so according to that article, they receive government handouts (subsidies), and will now have to give some of it back in taxes. Doesn't that equal cutting out some of the government handouts?

Government: "Were going to give you some money, but we're going to expect you to pay some of it back. But hey, keep the rest of it"

Curtis
2002 F-250 PSD
Gambling with 250/200's on PMR's.
478hp/851tq on Haller's dyno - 7/28/12
Your connection to the
post #58 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 04:57 AM
Gandy Dancer

Quote:
You're dumber than I thought.
I can see that trying to have a polite discussion with you is futile.

First you say this.
Quote:
Using an article that supports your position is typical of you Gandy Pants. But at least do the simple math. Taxes of $233/person x 40,000 retirees = $9,320,000. Where is the other $90,680,000 in cost?
Then you say this;
Quote:
Read the damn article that you provided. It clearly explains where the majority of the cost comes from...taxes.
And then you say this;
Quote:
I don't know where the cost is coming from...I didn't quote it. I also didn't try to prove that the majority of the costs come from taxing subsidies.
And yet you don't even try to provide anything to justify your position, except your own opinion.

Never have so many politicians, screwed so many Americans...just to make one black person lose his job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binderpower View Post
I can be possible.
post #59 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 11:32 AM
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket View Post
I'm sure there's people on this forum that read more of the health care bill than Obama himself did.
Sad but true

Dave G

06 F250 Lariat 4x4 leveled on 35s

4 inch flowmaster exhaust
Bulletproof diesel egr delete.
Bulletproof diesel FICM
Performance Machine & Manufacturing Coolant Filter Kit

ECM and FICM tuned by Bill at PHP SCT tunes from Gearhead, Innovative and Wildman
post #60 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 12:27 PM
PSN Veteran

"Worldwide employment was 94,225 at the end of third quarter 2009. Employment declined by approximately 17,900 from third quarter 2008. Due to restructuring of business operations, the decades since the 1990s have seen the elimination of 20,000 high-wage union jobs in the Peoria, Illinois area, while world-wide employment has increased due to the use of more non-U.S. and nonunion labor.

According to a 2001 article in the Nashville Business Journal, 60% of Caterpillar's employees work outside the United States"

Wow! Now I'm wondering why CAT doesn't just make it 100% outside the US. Could it be the letter is the first step in that direction? With this type of back door public announcement if they're not warming up folks for leaving maybe they are setting the stage to drop benefits for US employees/retirees.

2010 6.4 LB CC 4x4

ROLL TIDE!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode