Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

thump noise is this normal?

40K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  kleake 
#1 ·
hey guys I just changed my fuel filters out yesterday and noticed a thump sound. am sure ive heard this noise the whole time after I threw a intake on it. when I tried fig. out where it was coming from it was coming from the air filter? does anybody else here that....oh and also I had alot of like crime/sludge on the Cold intake pipe and itseem to splash up under neath the hood a little do any of you have this issue?

#3 ·
Any thumping noise in the intake usually isnt good. Usually points to a bent push rod or broke rocker etc. Best thing to do is get a stethoscope and determine which bank of the motor the thump is coming from, and tear the valve cover off to see what you can see.

#9 ·
Get rid of the truck cause of a noise, that's nonsense. Trust me a rocker or pushrod, if that's what it is, is basic to fix and if the dealer says it's a cab up job walk out cause I can do it personally in about 30mins.

#10 ·
on my way home from work at about 1800 rpms I heard it pretty good and put my ear to the intake again. sounds like a bubble sound a 5.0 mustang would make when its stright piped at idle. plus I have oil leaking on the CAC pipe and under neath the hood what can that be

#13 ·
you probably talking about the "chug chug chug chug chug chug" at idle...thats normal just the engine breathing.

#16 ·
Really hate to bring back an OLD thread, but I have the same sound, but not nearly as loud. I know of the thump in the dash, that is from the A/C dryer and there is a bullitin on it, but listen to this video and tell me what you think. I am "thinking" push rod or rocker,,, if I am right, how difficult is it to get to them and fix it?

http://youtu.be/D3uI0TkAyfk

#20 ·
I also have a thumping noise. Doesnt happen untill warmed up. I can feel it under my feet. Also in reverse it does it bad. Sometimes when I turn I hear it also. Im baffled. Front suspension looks great. And it also does it when parked at times also. I have no idea . Truck runs great .... 04 powerstroke 6.0

#21 ·
I hope you are still a member here, I have an 08 6.4L, with a considerable thump regular rhymic thump,on right front side of Engine ,can even feel it in the intake pipe. rev the engine up to 1000-1200 & smooths out,still there but less noticeable. Just had turbo's replaced & new rocker arms installed. Mechanic stated he thought was a bad lifter or worn cam,but myself it runs way too smooth for a cam. you can hear slight lifter tick,but I've had Fords for years & that is normal,to me. Do you have an opinion as to what it is,or what to repair next?There is a youtube video,with another truck with similar thump as mine Thamk you. 812-717-0052

#23 ·
Mine is still doing it, not nearly as pronounced as the video but a steady thump. Had other issues, put heads, injectors, HPFP, rockers, etc in mine,,,, still does it. New BD manifolds, up-pipes and full 4" exhaust and it actually sounds louder. The only thing I didn't replace was the push rods, but all looked perfect and checked out good. Mine quiets down and smooths out just off idle and runs great otherwise. I'm thinking it's just the nature of some of these.

#24 ·
That is not normal, you have an issue. I have worked on several trucks that are tuned and deleted that don't have sounds like that. That is caused by worn or broken rockers, bent valves, bent push rods, or damaged lifters. I have had a hand full of trucks that broke the rocker and bent the rod, and had the top of the lifter break where the clip came out of the top of the lifter. I would never consider this a normal sound

#25 ·
Everything you just mentioned is brand new on my truck, with the exception of push rods, which were checked for any issues. Even the heads are new. Now mine isn't as bad as the one in the video by any means, but it does sound like a weaker cyl at idle, and the intake noise is much less.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.