Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

P0278 trouble code help

18K views 19 replies 4 participants last post by  Oakley_XC 
#1 ·
Was driving today just cruising around 65 when my truck hiccuped and immediately started to mis, vibrate, & white smoke terribly. At idle it has a bad miss & lost lots of power when driving, is it a injector issue, cracked piston, or valve train issue??? anyone with info please post...

truck is fairly modded with spartan & elite parts, if this matters....

#3 ·
#6 cyl is your problem, Hopefully its just the injector. notice any extra blow by?

#4 ·
No blow by.. so maybe its just a injector...

#6 ·
:whs: if its hung open you will wash the cylinder very quick and will need a new motor.

#7 ·
Oh I parked it as soon as I noticed the problem....

#8 ·
Well I have a update on the truck..turned out to be a stuck injector witched did wash the cylinder and cracked a piston all the way threw the center... so motor is coming our and time for a few more upgrades... Also when we pulled the tranny out the input shaft fell out aswell..........:doh:

#10 ·
Thats not good, if cash is a issue you can think of boring that hole out and resleving it and thowing a new piston in and go.

#12 ·
No they are not. But you can dry sleeve. You basically bore the block out then you bring it back to stock size with the sleeve.

#14 ·
That it would be. Sure would beat buying a $20k Drop in.

#15 ·
I'm in Durham,NC right now going to Rudy's in the morning. Going with a bored block with ceramic coated pistons. Maybe it will hold ???

#16 ·
If a injector hangs open again it might not crack the pistion but it will still wash the cylinder wall out. So it wont be a end all solution

#17 ·
This is true..new injectors are going in so maybe with some luck should be good for a while.

#18 ·
Oakley_XC, How many miles on your truck?

#20 ·
60,000 but has many many hard miles on it from towing to many track passes on it..

Might as well do ported rails pump and 100 horse injectors why you at it? Ha:evil
Already have them..Going to upgrade to the Industrial pump, with there turbo setup soon..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.