Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

09 f350 trans keeps getting super hot

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Mark Kovalsky 
#1 ·
Ive got a 09 f350 power stroke, Last week sometime is when I noticed my trans temp got to 230 no load behind me. So i decided to drop the pan replace filter throw some new fluid in and see how it goes, took it for a drive and got to 235F asked around people said new trans cooler, so I ordered a new cooler blew out the trans lines and blew some air thru the radiator trans cooler part to make sure it wasn't clogged and it wasn't, got the truck all back together yesterday, drove it about 20 minutes to work today was fine and on the way home it jumped to 237F again, The trans doesn't act weird slip it locks and doesn't shutter when locked, NOT sure where to go next any insight?

Thanks in advance

#2 ·
Do you have a constant monitor on it via tuner or gauge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
My temp sensor failed, but it zeroed out and kicked the fan on... maybe @Mark Kovalsky can help out with this..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Find a way to check the temp independently of the sensor. An infrared gun on the pan should be within 15-20°F of the sensor's reading. If it isn't, either the infrared is bad or the sensor is bad. My vote would be the sensor.

If it does come close to the sensor reading, there is probably an internal failure in the trans.

#7 ·
Where would you say to put the infared at ? Straight at bottom of the pan was coming abour 195 and at the fronr side of pan was saying 214 when truck was at around 225-235 back of pan towards rear of truck read about 150 all my lines coming and dgoing from trans cooler and radiator read under 100F

#9 ·
From this data I think that the thermostat in the transmission is stuck closed. It's located in the pump body, so the trans has to come out. Then remove the torque converter and the pump. Disassemble the pump to get to the thermostat.

#8 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.