Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

95 F350 Rebuild

122K views 2K replies 36 participants last post by  masakimm 
#1 ·
So I'm starting this tread to cover the rebuild of a 95 F350 I inherited two years ago when my dad pasted away.:frown:

So a little history of this truck. I'm a mechanic at a shop that I started at a little over 8 years ago. At the time this truck belonged to the bosses Father. So because of his I have all the service history back to 92,000 miles. It was well cared for. Oil changes ever 3000 mile and any repair needed was done.

About 2011 My Dad bought the truck from my bosses Dad. At the time i gave him a hard time cause he enjoyed Driving it and I couldn't see spending that much on fuel. Since he died i was forced out of my cheap little car into a durango. I decided i hated the durango so started driving the truck and it got better fuel econmy then the durango.

Last Aug I took the truck to texas to get a car. While on the trip my rear tank started leaking and after i got back found out my vacuum pump was failing during the trip. And I still avg 13 to 14 MPG. Which is down From a fall trip to Texas Motor Speed in 2011 where we got around 17 pulling a Camper.

So Now the Truck Has 349,000 Miles on it. And thanks to the oil change intervals it still has the original injectors, oil cooler and turbo.

Now Since I got it i upgraded the stock exhaust with a 3" down pipe and 4" exhaust. And a set of stock size XD Rockstar wheels.

So the truck came with a S5-42 in it which is tired and the heavy duty clutch that is required for it is hard to hold with a bad knee I wont be able t keep it a manual. So i had bought a 97 obs that was wreaked by a customer for another project. That project feel thru so I sold the motor but kept the remaned E4OD. Now I don't trust Ford so i went in to the trans and I am glad I did. Had stock 4 pinion carriers which I replaced with 6 pinion steel carriers and the the overdrive spring snap ring was broken and waded up so it got replaced with an upgraded retainer.

So I have now have bought a cheap little junker car and have started the tear down.

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: Coleslaws7.3
#2 ·
So Have more pics and will be updating soon

#3 ·
So here is the first of the tear down. As u can see in the pics shes old and tired with some rust.

Attachments

#4 ·
More pics

Attachments

#5 ·
So The tear down is Getting there But work picked Back up So the work will slow down a little. My plans for the truck is fix some of the Mechanical. I have a replacement bed as it is badly needed as the pics will show in the future. I am pulling motor to work on down pipes and oil pan. Fix any oil leaks I can find. Hopefully some upgrades to come new injectors, fuel system, bigger tanks, E4OD so i can enjoy truck into future(bad knee and all). I am planning a raptor liner paint job(I suck at paint so best option). It will be a two tone with the original white in middle and Vista Blue metallic on top and bottom. So funds will determine how far i go.

Reactions: Powerstroker88
#6 ·
So I mention my trip to Texas last year(which made me fall in love with this truck). Yeah my Dads laughing at me now. At that time my rear tank failed on me. So started looking at options to replace it but that trip made me really want larger tanks so I searched out all my options for a rear tank and either did not like the price or did not like the size. So I had an old motor home out back that had two tanks on it man it would be great if I could make one of them fit. well out came the tape measure and sure enough it looked good. So removed one of the tanks and cut the mounts off and cleaned the tank on the inside(it was a gas engine). Now the filler neck was really fun since the fill was on the back of the tank. Took some exhaust pipe and made a custom filler neck using original neck parts. No while I have the bed off I am going to upgrade to large mouth filler necks and external vent(the tank is slow to fill takes about 10 to 15 min depending on pump. now on motor home the tank held 35 gallons but with the new neck and able to fill to top of tank it now hold almost 42 gallons(woo hoo). So when I took the bed off found my front tank is leaking(me and leaking tanks my rear tank leaked the burner car I bought to drive during this leaked fuel and now my front tank) the fuel gods hate me. So I found a Superduty tank not to far from me for 50 bucks so hope to go get it this weekend. then can upgrade the front. Will continue to update progress on my Baby.

Attachments

#8 ·
Yeah I looked into them but like I said price was one factor. Plus the tank I used is heavy built so the truck will rot away be for this tank will.

#9 ·
So pulled Trans down and did the work to it. Started with an E4OD from a wreaked 97 F350 crew cab Long bed. As I said did many upgrades while in there including a new Torque converter for better lock up. And yes I did not want to spend the money on proper compression tool and at 245am I didn't want to try and fab one. so steel beam rock. As you can see it was renewal by ford so was not expecting to find it as worn as it was inside. All clutches and steels replaced carriers upgraded from weak aluminum 4 pinion to strong steel 6 pinion carriers. everything air checked after I went back in and fix the center support. the Three bolts were not torqued properly thus the unexpected wear.

Attachments

#10 ·
So few more pics. Also mock up of my new shifter. It is out of an 06 or 07 explorer. It will end up with a custom center console around it.

Attachments

#11 ·
Sorry for no updates but last weekend spent fixing problems in garage and with my home made dual 2.5 hp 42 gallon compressor. I had two harbor freight 21 gallon compressors that were plumbed together but motors would not cycle together. so combined the wiring into one pressure switch and now have more volume for my projects.and they run of a 30 amp RV circuit in my garage. I took the middle wheels off and bolted the two compressors together so i can still move them around.
and the weekend before was spent in my junky little car( nothing will make u miss ur truck more then spending all day in a tiny car my whole body hurt by the end of the day.) Only went about 450 mile total 1400 mile round trip in truck didn't hurt a bit man i miss my truck. so i found a superduty tank about 225 miles away. the guy didn't know much but had him pull the sender and discribe it and apparently he cant describe thing it sound like it was a diesel tank so off i went. All that painful driving and i take a look at the top of the sender( now I asked if there was any number anywhere on tank or sender answer no i cant see any numbers see pic) and what do i see and airtek number nooooooo! poped the top and sure enough its a gas tank with a pump. well at this point i knew i would have to modify the pickup on either so talked him down on this tank to save my trip.

Attachments

#12 ·
OK back to the truck here is why i needed a new bed now i have cut a couple pieces out since removal to patch couple hole in new bed. More on new bed to come but here is an attempt by someone to help my dad out he cut big holes in the bed to install a flip up ball hitch in be and he was going to patch it back but got fired and some one tossed out the pieces for the patches. also some one miss guided me int a tree while backing a trailer so there went one fender and the the rust just puts it over the top. hopefully back to full speed this week and weekend( nope no truck no trip to the lake or out for riding four wheeler:( ).

Attachments

#13 ·
well had a very productive day :grin: got new bed prepped and will start liner install on bottom tomorrow I hope if rain hold off. so had to patch a lot of holes in bed including an old goose neck ball location that did not line up with my new flip over ball so patched it and cut new hole and then there was the old seven wire plug that some one thought it was a good idea to put it right on top of a angle in bed wall.:surprise:.

Attachments

#14 ·
so i also got the new 38 gallon tank installed had strapping from old tear downs so just took and added sections so they bolted to the original mounts so it wont go no where. So as i said before the guy cant read numbers off the pump so i modified the pump hosing i removed to fuel pump and cut off the mount for the pump and the took out the plastic tubing added a piece of tubing with a compression fitting and made a pick up screen that sits down into the old pump housing. i left the return just open the fittings lined up perfectly with my old lines so that was easy the only thing is i had tie two of the wires in the pump harness to get the gauge wired right. I am looking forward to the range i will have but not to the trips to the pump man with filler necks I will have to put in over 80 gallons if i drain my tanks:eek:.

Attachments

#15 ·
well started the lining of the bottom of the bed today I started using the Schutz gun and was not happy with the performance so I switched out to HVLP paint and was very happy with the way it laid out and make me really want to get to the point of painting my truck with this it goes on nice with the paint gun and From the way the bottom turned out I don't think you will be able to tell its a liner until you are right up to it.You can see the difference between the two guns.

Attachments

#16 ·
well got the motor and trans out today say good bye to my S5-42 it will be going up on Craigslist shortly. Cant say I'm sad to see it go its been a pain in the knee. and with 343000 miles on it it is time to go.

Attachments

#17 ·
well I got a surprise today went to start tearing down my engine to do the upgrades to it and took the turbo apart so i can do a ebpv delete and reseal and was going to do a wheel upgrade but faound someone had alread done it had to be a long time ago cause i have all the records for the truck back to 92000 miles and I'm at 343000 now so this was a nice surprise. well I guess that leaves more money for other upgrades. But what i cant understand is why the bothered to upgraded the wheel with out even updating the down pipe I never could even hear my turbo spool until I upgraded the exhaust last year. Well striped the valley down and I'm glad to see the fuel bowl removed for the last time. Man it opens up the valley alot to get that out of there. now I can build my new regulated return system.

Attachments

#18 ·
Well looks like i can finally order the parts for my engine. After 17 years the VA finally settled my disability claim. So looking into New HPOP, Injectors, Efuel system, bellowed up pipes, ebpv delete, and hopefully an inter-cooler.
So parts i'm looking it to are
Hpop looking at the Honey badger line got a call in on diff between baby and jr since im not looking for any major increases.
looking at set of stage 1's from UDP
i'm going do Hp oil lines and already have new IPR and sensor. get a delete pedestal
already have new down pipe into 4 inch exhaust.

#20 ·
so pulled injectors today to get them ready to ship and it looks like my o rings had started to fail.

i guess 343000 miles was a little to much to ask of my o rings

#21 ·
Nice work your doing. Good pics too. Keep it coming. You should definitely do an intercooler while you have it all torn apart.

#22 ·
Thanks for the encouragement I'm trying. I just talked to johnathan from dynoproven on my hpop and he took the time to understand what I was wanting and gave me recommendation based off that and really wanted to understand my needs. That is :grin: awsome :grin: to have in this day and age instead of someone trying to just sell me parts. So as soon as my settlement check arrives I will be ordering a whole list of parts for my truck.

#23 ·
So after Weeks of playing where the hell did u mail my check i got my payment from the VA. So ordered a banks intercooler, Set of Unlimited Diesel Stage 1 injectors, A Baby Badger Hpop and new lines from DYNO PROVEN Johnathon been great. plus some odd and ends from here and there. So hopefully will crank back upon this rebuild next week and get my truck going again.

#24 ·
go ahead and double that order! I would be happy to test a set of those performance parts for you!!

Make sure to get some pictures of all these goodies

#25 ·
Well Would love too but still need goodies for my truck. still need bumpers tuner and interior items to make my truck smoking again the red is just not my style. and don't worry i will get lots of pics of all im doing.

#27 ·
I DONT KNOW!!!

Not sure anyone ever in their right mind liked the red Ford interiors
Seems to be something from the 50's that just never died

My old explorer had a "wedgewood blue" interior its like green mixed with blue and all ugly. I swapped the whole damn interior over to dark charcoal too me 3 days but when it was done it was like a whole different truck!!
I hate red interiors! That's how red is supposed to make you feel, ANGRY!! lol
I am SO glad the 97 I am building has a nice grey interior So over the blue and the red

Reactions: Thatchevyguy
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.