New here with some questions - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Question New here with some questions

I got my 2017 F250 6.7 in December for the best Christmas present ever! It replaced a model that should have NEVER left the drawing board - 2010 F350 gas engine. I think a Toyota could have done a better job pulling and it only got 4 to 6 Mpg when I was pulling a single horse. The engine was crap. The gear ratio and transmission was crap. I loved the body style and design of the truck but it was a real piece of crap. The 2017 is my first Diesel and praying it holds up. My former truck also had the death wobble and the only reason I stayed with Ford is they were the only ones willing to give me enough money in trade for the crap 2010 model to allow me to afford the mortgage payments on the 2017. At any rate, so far I LOVE my first diesel. I joined to ask a question of members about installing a tool box.

My husband got a great buy on a huge diamond plate chest type tool box but there are a couple of hiccups. He has to set it in the bed on 2x4's or some sort of timber to get above the slope of the bed at the bottom and the wheel welds and he wants to drill into the bed to fasten it to the truck. I don't like the idea of drilling into the bed - especially since the bed is aluminum. I'm worried about weakening it somehow.

He also had a thought (has not checked yet to see if it is a viable one) of using the holes/bolts that connect the bed to frame and getting longer bolts to account for the timbers but I have said no to that plan. I'm not sure if my point is valid but I don't like the idea of having timbers that will at some point down the road decay, being part of holding my truck bed in place. So does anyone have any thoughts or other ideas as to how we can mount this toolbox? Personally, I'd rather get a different one but money has already been spent for this one and it would be perfect for holding all our accessories for camping like stove and chairs etc.. I plan to have this truck till I die since I will never be able to afford another one (could have bought a rental house for same price) so hoping to keep it in as good a shape as possible for as long as possible. Thanks for any help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 01:03 PM
Master BS'er

Re: New here with some questions

Sweet truck. Firstly, it's okay to be worried about your baby, I would be too. Pulling the frame bolts and extending them is actually pretty clever, I'm not sure I would have ever thought of that. Even if the wood did rot eventually, that bed is bolted on with like 8 bolts or something, so the bed isnt going anywhere.

Having said that, I'm with you, I wouldn't go that route. I'd do his first idea, and no, it won't hurt a thing. The structural integrity will remain sound, I promise. But either idea will work, so if you really don't want to drill holes then go with the extended frame bolt idea.

Jamie.

p.s...I'm pretty frickin awesome!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiesaun View Post
Sweet truck. Firstly, it's okay to be worried about your baby, I would be too. Pulling the frame bolts and extending them is actually pretty clever, I'm not sure I would have ever thought of that. Even if the wood did rot eventually, that bed is bolted on with like 8 bolts or something, so the bed isnt going anywhere.

Having said that, I'm with you, I wouldn't go that route. I'd do his first idea, and no, it won't hurt a thing. The structural integrity will remain sound, I promise. But either idea will work, so if you really don't want to drill holes then go with the extended frame bolt idea.

Thanks for responding. Just hate putting holes in my new truck!..lol.. But I do like the toolbox. Have to ensure it won't stick up enough to get in the way of gooseneck trailer and turning as well. Lots of hurdles for this tool box. Would have been easier to buy a new one made for the truck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tool box.jpg (6.4 KB, 2 views)

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

And thanks for the reassurances. I do feel better about it even though I wish there were a different way to add it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode